1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent Sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignore the PEAK ratings. That's for knuckleheads & marketing schmucks that need the "mine is bigger than yours" crap. They probably run 15's in a Geo Metro too.... anyway....RMS is the continuous power that a speaker is rated to handle, but here is one of those areas where it won't hurt to go a bit "overboard". Let me explain:

What blows speakers most often is distortion, NOT power. With sufficient continuous power (50W in this example) you'll be able to supply good clean sound to your speakers. Going up to an amp that can supply 100W continuously wouldn't be bad at all. Why? Because a doubling of power only gains 3dB in volume, which is barely discernible to the human ear. BUT, you'll have "power in reserve" basically, and this will help ensure that you are supplying a clean powerful signal to your speakers.

Channels: think of this as speaker locations. Don't worry about separate 'component' speakers. You're looking at coaxials (the individual driver/speakers in a unit are on the same axis is all that means) so it'll work here. so, that being said, your stock system is a 4-channel system.

I'd suggest 2 amps (Alpine is good bang-for-your-buck here): a 4-channel amp that can supply AT LEAST 50W x 4 at no more than 0.02% THD (total harmonic distortion). second amp should be designed for running subs - a 'bridegeable' 2-channel amp. Bridging means that you more or less combine 2 channels in to 1 more powerful channel. I'd go with a single 8" Diamond Audio sub. 1/2 the space, and it will rattle your eyeballs loose if you're not careful. Seriously.

OK, bedtime. if I missed something, let me know. Others will chime in too, I'm sure.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 AM
gross30
Senior User
I went with the Clarion touch screen, with the IPOD interface, and Sirius sat built in the deck. Focal seperate mids and tweets up front, 5 1/2" 2 way focals in rear pillars, 2 JL W6 10's in ported custom sub box. Rockford up front and rear, 1000w mono for subs. Price wise, don't ask. But it does plenty for what I need it for. Very pleased with it. I guess I haven't learnt my lesson yet on spending ridiculous amounts of cash on audio systems. Oh well, it's all about the sound I think.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
you need a bigger amp to run your sub and other speakers. spend a little more and get a better head unit pioneer,kenwood,eclipes,alpine. you will thank us for it down the road. I have the eclipes nav in my 2005 super duty see gallery tim`s custom super duty
8/24/2007 custom stereo is what I do.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
papadelogan

Originally Posted by Capital Customs
you need a bigger amp to run your sub and other speakers
So a 400W RMS amp for the corners, and (suggested by someone else) a 1000W (One THOUSAND watts, not HUNDRED) sub amp would be insufficent for a better than average sound system in your opinion??? Do you do stereo for the people on MTV Cribs or what??

Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
good choice on the pioneer speakers you can run them off you head unit if the out put watts is good or get a two channel with atleast 200watts for all four. kicker,alpine
rockford,mtx something along that line will give you what you need and last a long time
now for your subs stay away from the real cheep one you won`t be happy what ever you get check the rms power per sub then get an amp class d type for your subs only
check your local stereo shop for help but don`t buy cheep. I would buy the brands listed above.

2005 6.0 f 250 king ranch super duty TIM.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
as an other note we just closed my shop due to medical reasons 2 mo or so ago
this is what I did for 25yrs custom stereo installs and custom parts sales service and
installs we did most everything and my top selling brands on stereo was kicker, eclpies
pioneer,rockford,mtx,alpine and earthquake. some of the other brands are ok but for my
customers top of the line was the only way to go.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
papadelogan

for my customers top of the line was the only way to go.
That's awesome thay you could do that. I HATED selling/installing the low-end stuff. But in this thread, Kris is looking for a nice sounding system and his dad will help out to the tune of $350..... that won't buy much on the high-end market!! heck, it just dents the cost of the head unit he's looking at

Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Capital Customs
Elder User
you can find alot of the good stuff on ebay real cheep in this day and time alot of people are selling systems they spent tons on for pennies they need the money. note
I live in mi. and one of the last head units I sold before closing was a pioneer 5700
flip screen a $ 1200 unit I let it go for $300. so you can find deal.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 PM
gross30
Senior User
Capital Customs: re: need a bigger amp to run subs/speakers
Are you suggesting that my JL Audio 1000watt mono for my (2)JL 10" W6's is not sufficiant. I don't know about that one. But I do know that it has ample rms to run the subs and does it effortlessly. Just my own opinion, but man, this set up has legs like you wouldn't believe. As for the Rockford up front as well as the deck, I don't think it's too bad of a set-up. Let me know if it's no good, and I guess I will have to start shopping again.....lol

Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
no for the w3 jl that is fine but if you use high power 6x8 you will need atleast a 350watt amp for all four it that is what you are doing my 6x8 pioneers can not work with my head unit not enough power I use a pioneer 300 two channel and they do just fine in my cab with two kicker 10s we hit 137db that is more bass then is realy need for normal sound and cruising. you will do fine just make sure you work with rms power not peak In truth you can build a nice systen for around $500 and get good stuff.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
note the rockford line is great I run 6x9s in my box and changed my subs this past year to kicker but have found nothing wrong with the rockford infact Isold my used equipment to a customer and installed it for free total was $550 for subs (stage 3 12" )
P8002 amp 2 6x9s 4 tweeters customer also got the install kit from me. he now rocks hartford mi.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM
papadelogan

137dB~!!! Capital - I don't doubt the quality of your products, and I'm not saying that you cruise around pumping at 137dB all the time, but your statement

we hit 137db that is more bass then is realy need for normal sound and cruising
I have to call a bit irresponsible. Here's some information we should all be aware of:
  • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
  • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
  • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
  • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
I sold car stereo for 2 years. Between that and the systems I built during that time, I have permanent hearing loss. Not huge, but enough to make a difference in every day life. Put simply: IT SUCKS.

The facts in the bullet points above are from THIS SITE. Not very exciting reading, but worth the time.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
lets put it this way for you I did not say I drive all day like that that is what the cab tested at spl last mo. the box of my truck tested a 165db but I do not lay down in it
it is done for the shows and to show what is possible if you want to go that far. you can do alot with a little if you know how to set it up right but you do not have to play it loud it is nice when you want it. infact I must have mine up louder from years and years of doing this I blow peoples minds with some of the systems I have come up with.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:59 AM
papadelogan

No doubt and I should have taken more time with my post - sorry, i'm at work and things are a bit hectic in flashes here. I didn't mean to imply or speak negatively of you. my apologies on that. But I still think people need to be made aware of what can happen if they go overboard too often ('cuz we all have our favorite songs we like to pound!) and that's what I was trying to get across. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Capital Customs
Elder User
thats kool but as long as everyone out there knows how nuts systems can be and as you kwon most people that want systems want all they can get for their money.
I can not tell you the times I put a lower end or lower power system in as the customer asked for just to have to hear bull about it. they always want more.so now I always give them a mid grade up grade and they are happy. sorry for any miss understanding.

Quick Reply: Decent Sound system?