Sponsored by:

Excursion tailgate spare tire rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
A spare carrier is on my list as well, but with how expensive the whole setup can be, has me a little hesitant. I did find this, and it has me intrigued. I like the ability to also carry a highlift jack! TireGate Hitch Gate Series | Spare Tire Mount | SoCal SuperTrucks Has anyone here tried this setup? I think it looks like a great alternative to getting a whole new bumper system.
I actually saw this on a SUV the other day and they stick out about a ft from the back. Looked weird to me

Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
I actually saw this on a SUV the other day and they stick out about a ft from the back. Looked weird to me
That is good to know, It would be a waste of $$$$ to buy something like that and totally hate it afterword.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
Originally Posted by Vince79vette

Good call on that!
That would drive me nuts!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 AM
78Southwind
Senior User
When I was running 35" tires I used the Hitch Gate. I liked it because I could still get to the hatch without opening up the gate.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
An idea for all you guys with welders, bending tools, etc.:

I love the idea of being able to pull the tire out of the back so I could mount it outside (I carry a box similar to a Weatherguard one) in the back of my beast, so getting the tire out is a pain and that spot would be perfect to mount my amps.

I can't use a hitch system since I need to have the multi-ball one I have (rated to 10k) on and most hitch based ones I've seen a) lower the rating to something like 7500lbs and b) would extend the hitch I already have even more and c) most I've seen tend to 'tilt' a little.

I wonder if it's possible to make a system that would mount by slipping inside the existing hitch system from the driver/passenger side (I'm talking about the open ends of the square tube that runs parallel to the bumper).

Wouldn't have to go in very far I don't think, and it might be possible to mount it using a flange that would serve to keep it from slipping inside that square tube too far...and that same flange might be able to be extended far enough so you could drive a bolt through it and the vertical plates that mount the square tube to the frame.

Not sure how the actual hinge part would work...maybe a 2nd section of tube to bring it out towards the rear bumper more, then the hinge. I'm picturing a pin or something to keep it in place when driving, then you pull the pin to swing it out. If you put one on each side, they'd swing out similar to the doors.

...it might make the departure angle a bit less though...

...thoughts?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
So, I have been thinking about a good way to get the spare out of the back and onto the back, and here is my thought... Could you get an old swing style tire carrier that were used on the old Broncos/Blazers, and mount that rack to the Ex?

Like this one from a Blazer:

or like this one from a Bronco:

or even one like this one from a Toyota:

The Ex's body panels would most likely need some reenforcement, BUT, I think it could work.

I also came across this, I know it is not for our Ex's, but I am curious how much modding it would take to get it to mount to one of our stock bumpers...

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23513

Thoughts?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
I think those older styles would be better off mounted to a bar that came up from the bumper somehow, I wouldn't trust the thinner sheet metal that hasn't been designed for it personally.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kornfanjoe
I think those older styles would be better off mounted to a bar that came up from the bumper somehow, I wouldn't trust the thinner sheet metal that hasn't been designed for it personally.
I figured the sheet metal would not be enough, and there would need to be some reenforcement plates on the backside. I still might see if I can scrounge a setup from the local scrap/junkyard.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Where exactly would you want to mount these and reinforce? If you put it right on the corner above or Below the tail lights it's basically a cavity behind there that may be tricky to work with. Take off your tail lights and you will see what I mean. It may be possible to have a pipe or tubing to run up that empty spot and be mounted to the frame? If you get something working there I would be interested to see, good luck!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Where exactly would you want to mount these and reinforce? If you put it right on the corner above or Below the tail lights it's basically a cavity behind there that may be tricky to work with. Take off your tail lights and you will see what I mean. It may be possible to have a pipe or tubing to run up that empty spot and be mounted to the frame? If you get something working there I would be interested to see, good luck!
What if you mounted this to a bar that went down and slid into the square bumper tube from the side (like the post I put up earlier)?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
If you look at this diagram of the old Blazer setup, it seems they added reinforcement around the light housing. However, there is no way of knowing if the bracing was just welded to the sheet metal or if it was hooked to the frame somehow...

Old 02-02-2014, 06:30 PM
phnguyk
Senior User
In my '72 Bronco it was just plate of steel, not welded.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by phnguyk
In my '72 Bronco it was just plate of steel, not welded.
Which makes me think that I may be able to get the setup to work on the Ex, that is IF I can find one of the old tire racks...

Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
phnguyk
Senior User
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Which makes me think that I may be able to get the setup to work on the Ex, that is IF I can find one of the old tire racks...
yeah, I've been toying with the idea a while now. I've got a 35" hanging on my bronco. It's just a 1/4" solid plate on the inside. One on the upper and one on the lower mount location.

Quick Reply: Excursion tailgate spare tire rack?