1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

FPR Regulator screens

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FPR Regulator screens

I know there has been a lot of posts on this subject, but I have an idea for you all to consider. Really it happened by accident to begin with. When I was cleaning mine I losed the srceen in the valley. Well I have found that in just a few months of running with out the screen that all the gunk of course just goes into the main fuel filter. Well that filter is suppose to be changed yearly. I thought that it would be a better idea to just run with out the screen and change you fuel filter like you should then you wont ever have to clean a screen again and the gunk is still removed every time you change the filter. What do you guys think? It just seems more simple to me. One instead of two.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:19 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Theoretically it sounds great but i dunno if I'd do it, lol, and I do everything.

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
When I had the dealership change my fluids and filters (I know, I know, but I've had two surgeries in the past two years, so I don't care) they didn't mention anything about the FPR screen. Maybe I should take a look at it, just to make sure.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:26 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Talking

I would like to know whats worrying you about this Cowboy Steve. I cant think of any adverse effects. I remember talking to Tim about it when I lost my screen, and he said that he wouldn't worry about it. I'm just thinking if you change your filter like you should then you would be just fine. I found all that crap you clean out of your screen in my filter. Now all I have to do is change the filter and not even worry about a screen. Sounds easy to me.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:29 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Talking

Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
When I had the dealership change my fluids and filters (I know, I know, but I've had two surgeries in the past two years, so I don't care) they didn't mention anything about the FPR screen. Maybe I should take a look at it, just to make sure.
Also IDMooseMan if you haven't cleaned yours in awhile its a very good idea to have it cleaned. It will increase your throttle response and not to mention that mine was very dirty only some months after cleaning it. I guess they clogg up pretty fast, and that cuts down your flow pretty quick.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
The screen is after the FPR.
Fuel from the FPR goes to the return line for tank. The screen is a tee for the filter housing to the return line. The screen is installed so dirt will not travel thru the restrictor and back to tank. The reason for the hole with screen is so the housing can bleed the air out and keep fuel cooler by returning back to the tank. It has a restrictor in it and can clogg. I think the restictor is .020

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 06-30-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Cowboy Steve feels that there might be a reason why its there. If there are no side affects the power to ya but I dont like the idea of removing an after filter on my fuel system. But thats just me. Good luck Casey

Cowboy Steve

Old 06-30-2007, 05:19 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Just checked the restrictor is .020

Bill

Old 06-30-2007, 07:06 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say its ok to run it for a short period of time but as already said it does keep the big junk out of the regulator. The fuel actually is flow out of the housing through the screen and out to the return line. so the fuel filter really isn't in the equation. You do run in danger of plugging that restrictor. which by the way I had idea was that small!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 AM
caseydudem
More Turbo
I understand what your telling me there Tim, but I'm not sure its right. You say the flow is going out from the fuel filter canister. I remember that when I cleaned my screen all the gunk was on the wrong side then, and now when I check my fuel filter all that gunk is right there on the same side in that same area of my fuel filter as if that is where it comes in not going out and the filter catches it there. Maybe my truck is the one in a million that everything runs backwards. I'm not sure that just what I remember and I can see when I pull mine out.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Casey, the fuel flow is just as madvan explained. I think the screen is there for when the filter is changed out, it's the only time I can think of when un-filtered fuel may get to the restrictor. Small pieces might be left behind if the housing wasn't cleaned thouroughly. .020" is pretty small so it could can happen. I'm just guessing but it seems the only thing that could cause the restrictor to get plugged, besides, engineers usually don't put filters where they are not needed. You might be OK without it but you'll not know when the restrictor is plugged, you would be running some pretty hot fuel to the fuel system.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Can you explian to me "hot"

What do you mean hot? I'm still learning all about these trucks. I for sure dont want to run the risk of destroying something so if you guys think this is a bad idea then I will out mine back. I just haven't figured out the risks yet.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:07 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Casey
The unfiltered fuel flows out of the cannister thru the screen thru the restrictor and to the return line. Think of it like this if you remove screen then you will clogg the restrictor. I rather clean the screen. This passage is so fuel will not overheat and to remove air/foam from the system (low pressure side). Thus the reason for a more responsive motor after a cleaning. (air/foam removed).

Its a bad idea to remove screen for the long run. Temp would be ok.

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 07-01-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Roadman0
New User
All this talk about this screen, where is it located? i want to clean mine for the first time!!

Old 07-01-2007, 03:37 PM
caseydudem
More Turbo
Talking

The location is easy. If you are looking at your motor from the front of the truck it is on the right side of the fuel filter canister. On that side you will find two 10MM bolts that hold it(FPR) on the fuel canister. If you remove those bolts you will find a rubber o-ring and the metal screen we are talking about. Be carefull that they dont fall into the valley. It will be hard to find if it falls down there. It is not magnetic.

From what your saying I guess I need to replace mine. I guess not all ideas can be good ones.

Quick Reply: FPR Regulator screens