1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power tuner software and cable for a laptop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM
DieselFuelOnly
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ponch, you have a PM.

Originally Posted by rustydailey
Not to highjack the thread, but do you have any details on how you put a computer in your truck?
Rustydaily,

The computer I used a HP Slimline PC. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=s3000e_series

I installed it under my front seat. I modified the seat adjustment bar and moved it from the front, to the back of the seat. Wasn't a big deal to me because how often do I really move it... I'm the only one who drives it. I also had to unbolt the seat and add a small washer to raise it a fraction of an inch. Took 15 minutes. The computer is held in place with the seat sliders and kept from sliding out the front with some really powerful velcro. Don't laugh, the stuff works. Right now the computer is powered from an inverter but I will be installing a DC-DC power supply in the computer soon so I'm not going from DC to AC to DC again. Not very efficient the way it is right now.

The first thing I did in the dash was get rid of the stock double DIN radio and replace it with an Alpine single DIN radio with an AUX-in port that I could run audio in from the PC. The adapter bracket was supplied with the radio from Crutchfield. The unused space going to the smaller stereo was turned into a small cubby-hole at the top of the stereo. I fabricated an aluminum plate to bolt into the cubby-hole with a small tab that would allow me to attach a 7 inch touch screen LCD monitor. I used a Xenarc monitor. Ran the wires through the dash and under the carpet to the PC. Monitor bolted right up with a thumb screw and would pivot from side to side. Link for the monitor I used is below.

http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700TS_p/mon-008.htm

Next was the GPS. I used a Bu-353 GPS reciever from US Global Sat. I bought it as a bundle with the GPS software called iGuidance. Excellent software. It has much much more then just roads in there. It has Points of interest with phone numbers, and all sorts of neat options. The GPS receiver plugs right into the USB port of the PC.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=80

I travel a lot so this is best project i've ever done on my truck only second to the tuner, but that wasn't really a "project".

If you want some more info, PM me. I got a lot of the info for this project from a forum at MP3car.com They aren't as friendly as they are here, but you can find some useful info.