Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

7.3 Vs 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahaha, re-read my post. I didnt say my 6.4 beats the LMM duracrap, I said it beats the LBZ duracrap. You obviously dont know the diffrence cause if you did you wouldn't have started talking.

The 6.blow has its high points yes. it is the base of my engine yes. it gets good fuel mileage, but it dosnt compare to the 6.4.

And I know the 7.3 gets better fuel mileage then the 6.blow does, I own a 7.3 as well.

Do your homework and you'll be supirsed to find out that the 6.0 dosnt tow like the 6.4 can. Good luck with your sticky turbo vanes, faulty injectors, lifted heads, so on and so fourth.

Cowboy Steve

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Hahaha, re-read my post. I didnt say my 6.4 beats the LMM duracrap, I said it beats the LBZ duracrap. You obviously dont know the diffrence cause if you did you wouldn't have started talking.

The 6.blow has its high points yes. it is the base of my engine yes. it gets good fuel mileage, but it dosnt compare to the 6.4.

And I know the 7.3 gets better fuel mileage then the 6.blow does, I own a 7.3 as well.

Do your homework and you'll be supirsed to find out that the 6.0 dosnt tow like the 6.4 can. Good luck with your sticky turbo vanes, faulty injectors, lifted heads, so on and so fourth.

Cowboy Steve
whoa whoa can't go talking till that 6.4 has over 20k miles on it

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Enomra
6.0 will pull 12k up every hill
(Not to take sides or any thing) But steve can double that.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Yes indeed..... That still wont matter though. My 6.4 still wont compete with his 6.blow in his mind, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Enomra
Elder User
Your truck is designed to tow 20K and I'm sure it will with no problem. You stated that you are getting twice the fuel mileage of the rest of the guys posting on this web site with the 450's. So for some strange reason you have a truck that is faster than a Dmax with a 20% higher power to weight ratio and yet you are getting twice the fuel mileage of others. If you would post believable #'s we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As far as the 6.4 vs 6.0 start another thread to discuss that. I know without a doubt the 6.4 will out tow the 6.0 and I never questioned that. You are bragging about an engine that is yet unproven and Myself and all Ford fans hope it will be a workhorse. But in all actuality it will also be replaced as soon as Ford has its new one made in the Mexico plant.

The likelyhood of having a sticky turbo is two times greater on your truck than mine and as far as the head gasket problems you have already had yours replaced so you are one up on me.

I'm not going to bash the 6.4 as far as I can see they are as good as they get the problem is you keep bashing the 6.0 and you are going to get some flack from us 6.0 owners. We are all Ford owners so lets stick together!!!!!!!

Last edited by Enomra; 08-01-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Your correct my truck gets great fuel mileage, BUT I've also ditched the DPF as the rest havent. Loss of regen cycles improve MPG numbers almost ten fold. My truck performs very well and it beats the '06 LBZ duracrap hands down, but it wont keep with the LMM in a race but it tows just as good if not better. You need to understand the diffrence between the two duracrap motors that im speaking on. I post true numbers and specs, and ONLY true numbers and specs. I believe that good fuel mileage is possible outta these 6.4's and I have proven that it is, and i have 4.88's! Sure my truck dosnt get 17-18 highway towing, but it pulls great MPG numbers unloaded on the highway. City can be rough at anywhere from 14-16. The truck flat out performs and there is no way around it. Fuel mileage will be disputed til you actually take a ride and see for yourself

As for the sticky turbo vanes on my truck, highly unlikely. Borg Warner put alot of time and engineering into this VGT turbinator to resolve that issue that you 6.blow guys frequently experience.

I never said anything about your truck having faulty head gaskets, but Im glad you brought that up. Just another fault to add to the on going list of 6.blow issues. Yes, my truck did have a blown head gasket but it was not the gaskets fault. it was pinched when the heads were installed on the block, meaning human(or computer for that matter) error.

I agree we should stick together but understand that the 6.4 is better then the 6.0 ever will be

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Enomra
Elder User
If you are getting 14 mpg city then your getting as good as my truck is. I see 14 in the city and 18 hwy. Towing I am averaging 11 but all those numbers are climbing as I only have 8K on the truck.

Ford needs all of us loyal fans to stick together and quit nitpicking the various truck engines provided by Ford. The were all designed to serve a purpose and they did it well. From the 6.9 to the 6.4 they all did what they were designed to do. You happen to have the towing beast of all beasts and there is no comparison when it comes to towing but I bought my truck to pull my 12k toy-hauler and haul my family wherever we desire to go and it does it very well. I also had one the very first 6.0's and I would never buy a fist year truck again after that, as a result I purchased the 2006 6.0.........

Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
78F150XLT
Senior User
you see alot of people in sled pulls switching back to the old 7.3's from the 6.0's, you can get way more outta the 7.3 with aftermarket parts. this is also happening with the cummins scene, people are goin back to the 12Valve from the 24 valve. reasons: cheaper to build, way more hp, and can cake more abuse because they are built stronger. just the same with the 7.3 compared to the 6.0. thats just my opinion... if it was my choice i'd go with the 7.3 due to the fact that even farmers who haul cattle and equipment say that they would take the old 7.3's

Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 78F150XLT
you see alot of people in sled pulls switching back to the old 7.3's from the 6.0's, you can get way more outta the 7.3 with aftermarket parts. this is also happening with the cummins scene, people are goin back to the 12Valve from the 24 valve. reasons: cheaper to build, way more hp, and can cake more abuse because they are built stronger. just the same with the 7.3 compared to the 6.0. thats just my opinion... if it was my choice i'd go with the 7.3 due to the fact that even farmers who haul cattle and equipment say that they would take the old 7.3's
i like you a lot lol

Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
as do I. i know a guy that lives right down the road from me who owns a masonry/rock hauling business who USE to own a 6.0, but that all change here a few months ago. it was a 05 cc dually and he hauled about 10-12k on it all the time, but he had to take it to ford 3 times for injectors, once for head gaskets, and once for a turbo before he got to 100,000 miles. one day i went over to his house to pull his trailer b/c i had never pulled with this truck before so i pulled the trailer across the scales and it was right around 13k. he and i went for a little ride around just to see how well the truck pulled and then i let him drive it back to his house for about 35 miles. you know what he went and bought about a week and a half later? A 2001 f-350 cc dually 4x4 with a 7.3L and 6 speed tranny. now his truck will pull better than mine and although it had 115,000 miles on it when he got it he loves it over the 6.0. i'm all for going fast in our diesels and i agree that a 6.0 will outrun me in a race but they will NOT out pull me. what is a diesel made for? pulling. not racing, but pulling. what good is it to have a truck that will go faster than mine if your 6.0 is going to break a lot more than mine?
oh and enomra, i'm all for the sticking together b/c they are all fords, but if someone wants to bad mouth the 7.3 i've got somthing for 'em cause they are way wrong

Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Enomra
Elder User
strokin'_tatsch: I think most agree that the 7.3 was a true workhorse and those that don't agree probably have never driven one. The only thing I would dissagree with is that my 6.0 pulls alot harder than my 7.3 did.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Im gonna be takin back every negative thing I ever said about the 6.0. I rode in a buddies from Oregon who has some pretty exstensive mods on his 04. Man alive that thing flat out moved! I couldn't keep up in the 7.3 when we went heads up. Of course he has a good 100hp on me but irregardless it took all the No2 I could pump into the truck to keep him from pulling on me after he took a 2 truck car lengths on me, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Just because it requires no thinking to use something already built and figured out, (when was the last time you saw any cutting edge technology for the 7.3?) does not make it better. It shows narrowmindedness and lazyness. You either lead, follow, or get out of the way. So in short if you think a 7.3 or 12V cummins is the next comming of Christ, they your obviously are in the following and getting out of the way catagory.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
as do I. i know a guy that lives right down the road from me who owns a masonry/rock hauling business who USE to own a 6.0, but that all change here a few months ago. it was a 05 cc dually and he hauled about 10-12k on it all the time, but he had to take it to ford 3 times for injectors, once for head gaskets, and once for a turbo before he got to 100,000 miles. one day i went over to his house to pull his trailer b/c i had never pulled with this truck before so i pulled the trailer across the scales and it was right around 13k. he and i went for a little ride around just to see how well the truck pulled and then i let him drive it back to his house for about 35 miles. you know what he went and bought about a week and a half later? A 2001 f-350 cc dually 4x4 with a 7.3L and 6 speed tranny. now his truck will pull better than mine and although it had 115,000 miles on it when he got it he loves it over the 6.0. i'm all for going fast in our diesels and i agree that a 6.0 will outrun me in a race but they will NOT out pull me. what is a diesel made for? pulling. not racing, but pulling. what good is it to have a truck that will go faster than mine if your 6.0 is going to break a lot more than mine?
oh and enomra, i'm all for the sticking together b/c they are all fords, but if someone wants to bad mouth the 7.3 i've got somthing for 'em cause they are way wrong
Yeah, yeah, yeah.......I know several people who got tired of CPS going out, rebuilding automatic trannies every other summer, and are now quite happy with the 6.0, and even the 6.4 trucks. Yes, my 6.0 will outpull your 7.3, it has more horsepower and torque. Physics are still physics.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Yeah, yeah, yeah.......I know several people who got tired of CPS going out, rebuilding automatic trannies every other summer, and are now quite happy with the 6.0, and even the 6.4 trucks. Yes, my 6.0 will outpull your 7.3, it has more horsepower and torque. Physics are still physics.
peak horsepower and torque mean absolutely nothing when your talking about pulling... it's about WHERE your horsepower and torque is, and the 6.0 has no power out of the engine anyway, is it even possible to lug a 6.0 up a hill from 35-45 measuring 0 boost?? END OF THREAD lol

Quick Reply: 7.3 Vs 6.0