Sponsored by:

What Year/Options to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:15 PM
tim330i
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to 4X4s and broncos and would like some help. I am looking for a Bronco for around or under 3,000. It is going to be a winter/off-road/tow vehicle. It doesn't look like I can get anything much newer than 90-92 at best. I don't know anything so what year/options/equipment should I go for? If there are not any major advantages to getting a 90s I would rather get a upper 80s for cheaper and put the money into mods. Would I be better off getting as new a truck as possible?

What about Manual vs auto? Which is better?

I will probably have a mechanic look over the truck before I get it but are there things that I should stay away from right away?

Do any of these look like good deals?

[link:www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=BRON&start_year=1982&end_year= 1992&min_price=0&max_price=3000&distance=50&advanc ed=y&advcd_on=n&make=FORD&address=55439&search_typ e=used&x=73&y=14|Have a Look here]

I did search but couldn't find anything. If there are relevant posts that I missed sorry and please post the link.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Old 12-27-2002, 03:31 PM
galaxiefiveohoh
Senior User

This is kind of a bad time of year to be shopping for a Bronco. After the first snow---everyone wants one and the prices are a bit higher. But, no matter which one you choose, have a trusted mechanic check it out good for you. There is lots of driveline under there and it can get expensive to repair. Rust is another killer around the back wheelwells and tailgate. I live in AZ and everyday I see Broncos for sale that look almost like new. It would pay you to look to the west for a nice truck so you don't have to contend with rust issues.
5.8 liters are the preferred engine although the 5.0 regularly rack up 200,000 miles +. The C6 transmission is the strongest put under a Bronco but then again it is a matter of choice. The overdrive will come in handy for lots of highway driving. There were some goofy color combos in Broncos. Those with the red interior will not sell as well as the blue or tan.
Just take you time and shop around. You WILL find a good one at a good price. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Old 12-27-2002, 04:16 PM
johnnyo333
Junior User

I agree, now is a really bad time of year to find a "good, solid" Bronco without any rust or major work needing to be done to it. Look for something somewhere they dont' salt the roads in the winter, or that isn't near a ocean or gulf due to rust factors. And HEY! Whats wrong with the Red interior ?!?! ha ha, I bought a 1988 Bronco XLT for 2200.00 in Dallas a year ago, interior was immaculate and everything else SOLID without any rust, but I would have been willing to drive to Phoenix area if I couldn't have found one locally without rust. You don't want to fight rust issues, might as well hang it up.

Autotrader is a good source to keep looking. Try to stay away from buying on Ebay though, those Broncos go for stupid kinda $$ when they sell.

Good Luck,

oh also, I personally prefer the 88 or older Broncos, less electronics to worry about. Parts are cheaper also. And the C6 or the AOD tranny's are the way to go when looking into driveline in a stock Bronco.

Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a tow vehicle, you'll have less trouble out of a manual transmission, even though it'll be rated to tow slightly less and a little more work to drive. If you get an auto, add a big cooler, especially if it's an E4OD (switch on the shifter to turn OD off).

'93 was the first year for 4WABS and an electronic cruise servo, which I consider to be big plusses, but many people hate 4WABS. The electric cruise is much better than the older vacuum cruise. The last body style ('92-96) also had by far the nicest interior - that XLT is more comfortable than any earlier Eddie Bauer.

In '87-91, there were problems with the fuel pumps, ignition modules, E4ODs, and alternators that were all cleared up in the mid 90s, but most of those are easy to fix even if you get that era truck.

When you're looking, there are 7 option packages/trim levels available:
Custom (the lowest in the years it was offered)
XL (nicer than Custom, but replaced it in the late 80s)
XLT (usually very nice with plenty of electric options)
XLT Sport (offered in the 90s - added body-color bumpers & grille)
Nite (all black with black door handles & blue trim stripe)
Lightning (white, black, or red XLT Sport with special 5.8L engine)
Eddie Bauer (top-of-the-line for options, and always had tan interior, lower bodyside stripe, & camper shell)

Usually, the lower trim levels had the better (limited slip) differentials, but any could have the towing package (sway bars & quad front shocks).

The fewer engine/electrical mods you buy on the truck, the easier it'll be for you to understand and fix. Then you can choose what YOU want.

Old 12-27-2002, 06:19 PM
mweeps
Senior User

Steve83, where have you seen a Lightning Bronco? They never built them for consumer just prototypes.

Old 12-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Smaulz
New User

>In '87-91, there were problems with the fuel pumps, ignition
>modules, E4ODs, and alternators that were all cleared up in
>the mid 90s, but most of those are easy to fix even if you
>get that era truck.

Just bought a '91. Can you elaborate on these problems you mentioned? It'd be nice to know what to look for. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2002, 09:34 PM
CityBronco
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Dec-02 AT 10:36 PM (EST)]Some things to look out for :

1. Crappy rubber factory radius arm bushings melting and/or wearing our quickly.

2. The brake switch on the master cynlinder likes to go out and leak all over the place possibly shorting out some systems on the same circuit relay, for example the cruise control servo.

3. Some alignment issues with the TTB front end.

4. Rust of course, but I have yet to see any on my Bronco.

5. Auto Hubs seem to go out at the worst time.

6. Fuel pump whine may be sign that it is about to go out. Although some people have a whine and thier fuel pump is fine. Mine went out around 30k.

7. Gas Milage, but no one buys a Bronco for good gas milage, those are what the Bronco II's were for. I sure as heck did not buy a Bronco for the gas milage, so I have no problems with it.

These are the only problems I have experienced, however I am sure others can list quite a few more.

Old 12-27-2002, 09:39 PM
steve83
Post Fiend

mweeps
I guess I haven't. I must've been thinking about the Nites in some of these pics:
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=2&a=77426
I thought I had seen a red Lightning Bronco either here or in SC, but maybe not...

Old 12-28-2002, 08:08 AM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Dec-02 AT 09:14 AM (EST)]The only factory Lightning Bronco I've ever heard of was the white 1994 model Ford built for the head of J. Walter Thompson, Ford's advertising agency.It had all the Lightning equipment,and had a special white,rear tire cover made up,with "White Lightning"(the truck's nickname)on it. The one "production" Bronco Lightning was also a 4x4!It would be pretty easy to take a red,white,or black Bronco Sport and create your own Bronco Lightning.Hey,sounds like a really cool project.....anyway,what options to look for in a Bronco.I would say either look for one with the XLT package,or Eddie Bauer package. On '85-'92 models Ford offered an optional 4.10:1 limited slip when combined with the 302 engine,and AOD tranny. A Bronco so equipped was given a 7,800 lb. tow rating from the factory(and without anything in tow, 4.10s make things happen more quickly...).The axle code for a 4.10:1 limited-slip is H5.You can find this code listed on the vehicle certification label, located inside the driver's side door jam.The 302 was standard on Eddie Bauer models,optional on XLT&Customs. The 351 engine is also a good thing to look for.Get one of the '88&up versions which have EFI.The best 351-powered Bronco to get would be a 1994,because starting in '94 the 351 got a roller camshaft.

Old 12-28-2002, 01:50 PM
steve83
Post Fiend