Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 F150 front axel u-joints (universal joints)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 PM
rmacinc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F150 front axel u-joints (universal joints)

Can anyone tell me exactly (be specific) how to replace the front axel u-joints on a 1996 Ford F150 and how hard it is to do them (don't sugar-coat it). Do I need any special tools and any special tips or tricks would help also. I have never done anything like this before. Thanks

Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First, get yourself a service manual. It's not too hard. Do you plan on replacing all the axle u-joints or just the two outer ones? The manual goes over it pretty well.
Remove wheels.
Remove brakes.
Pull the hubs out.
Remove spindle nuts.
Remove hub/rotor assembly.
Remove the spindle from knuckle.
Remove the axle from diff on driver side.
Disassemble slip-joint and remove axle from pass side.
Replace axle u-joints.
Reinstall.

Give it a try. People are here to help.

Al
(if you need to replace the center axle u-joint, then you'll have to drop the differtial.)

I may have missed a few things, but that's the jist of it.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
First you will need the axle nut socket for ford trucks. It is simple, remove your caliper and support it. Then, I believe you have an ABS sensor there so be sure to remove that. Then take the 5 or 6 (I cannot remember) allen head screws off of your 4x4 hub cover. Once the cover is off there is a retainer clip in there the diameter of the hub, remove that with a pair of pliers. There is also an e-clip on the axle shaft that protruds the hub that needs to come off. Once you get the hub assymbly out you will need the socket mentioned at the top of the post. Remove the outer nut (it is round with I believe 4 cutouts around the outside. Then a lock ring and anothe nut of the same likings as the first one only it will have a tit on it for the locking ring. At this point your hub should come off with the rotor assymbly. Then you need to remove the spindal, you will see the bolts there. Tap it of CAREFULLY. Then pull the axleshaft through the steering knuckle and whala. Replace the joints as you would a regular drive shaft. Be careful if they have high mileage or have never been replaced a little heat might be required. Any more questions ask. Good luck and let us know.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
I was typing mine when alz chimed in. We are about the same. I agree about the service manual I believe it gives an exploded view of the area.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:18 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's two different types of axle nuts your 96 could have. If you are going to buy or borrow a socket, make sure you get the right one. Auto hubs should have a hex shaped nut; manual hubs should take the old fashioned 4 prong socket. But I've worked on two trucks with manual hubs that had the hex nut. It might be a good idea to pull the hub first and see what you got.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:07 AM
rmacinc
New User
Thanks alot for all the help. I've talked to a few guys at work and they've almost scared me away from it. Now reading you guys' replies, I might give it a shot. Do you have to remove the ball joints? I've heard it both ways, some have said yes and others have said no. I've never done that before and it doesn't sound too fun. I'm not planning on replacing the inner u-joint but I really have no idea if it is bad or not. How do you tell? All I know is, when I put this truck in 4-wheel drive and give it the gas, it pops and sounds awful at the front wheels. This is my son's truck so I want to do it right. I do have the socket already because I've greased the bearings on a few of my other 4x4's that I've had. I do appreciate everyone's help though. I'll probably give it a try this morning, I think I've got enough beer to get me through it!! I keep you posted and ask plenty more questions if I get stuck or frustrated, which is likely. Thanks, Rick

Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 979 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by rmacinc
Do you have to remove the ball joints? I've heard it both ways, some have said yes and others have said no.
DEFINITELY NO!!

Originally Posted by rmacinc
I'm not planning on replacing the inner u-joint but I really have no idea if it is bad or not. How do you tell?
If the joint is seized or has excess play it should be replaced. Once you have the side axles off removing the inner one is easy.. relatively. You have to unbolt the diff from the TTB arm, remove the front driveshaft, pull a C-clip that retains the center driveshaft section, and pull out that portion of the axle.

Replace the joints with greasable versions and lube regularly.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
rmacinc
New User
Okay, here I go. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out in...a few hours?? Well, with my luck, a day or two. Thanks all, Rick

Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
rmacinc
New User
Help!! I've got the driver's side axle out. How do you get the u-joint out? Does it have to be pressed out? If not, any tips? I've tried to beat on it with a punch and hammer but it isn't going anywhere. Yes I did take the C-clip out. Also, the passenger side looks like it is going to be very difficult to get the axle out, how does that work (there's a boot in the middle)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 979 Likes on 773 Posts
Yes, the joints have to be pressed out. A big bench vice works well, a couple smacks with a BFH will get things moving. Remove all 4 C-clips, and then use the right size sockets to press a bearing cap in until the opposite side pushes out. Then flip it over and press the joint back the other way to remove that cap. Repeat untill all 4 caps are removed, and install in the reverse order.
The boot on the pass side covers a slip joint between the inner and outer portion of the axle. If the boot has steel bands on it, remove the outer band and the axle should slide out once the hub is removed.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
rmacinc
New User
Okay, I don't get it. I've got a bench vice but it seems like if you push against one side, you will be pushing the other side as well with the vice and you will will be fighting yourself. So far you have helped out tremendously, but I still need a little more help. I did get the passenger side axle out with your help, now I just need to get the u-joints themselves out and I will be in business. Any help, of course, will be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:59 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
On the side you're not pushing against you need to use a socket larger than the ujoint bearing cup. So when you press on the bearing cup, the other bearing cup is pushed into the socket.

Look at the new ujoints you bought. Isn't there some copper c clips in the package? If there are, you need to remove those. I did mine last summer so I don't exactly remember.

Last edited by F150xlt; 01-19-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:39 AM
rmacinc
New User
All, Thanks to everyone who posted. With all of your help, I was finally able to replace both front axle u-joints!!! Then I took a test drive only to hear the same noise. I wasn't smart enough to look at the front drive shaft, the u-joints in it were shot. I replaced them and yipee!!! it seem to be fixed. I do know that one of the front u-joints was locked up so I'm telling myself I didn't do all that work for nothing. Again, I really appreciate everyone's help, without it, I couldn't have done it. Thanks, Rick