Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long does the 7.3L last?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
slow_v6_stang
Senior User
slow_v6_stang is starting off with a positive reputation.
how long does the 7.3L last?

i know the 7.3 is a better engine than the 6.0 and what not, but how many miles can the 7.3 powerstroke typically be ran to before it needs to be rebuilt? im looking around for a new truck possibly and im torn between a cummins and a powerstroke (i like the looks of the fords and the reliability of the cummins). i found a 7.3 w/ 260,000 miles on it. is that too many?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by slow_v6_stang
i know the 7.3 is a better engine than the 6.0 and what not, but how many miles can the 7.3 powerstroke typically be ran to before it needs to be rebuilt? im looking around for a new truck possibly and im torn between a cummins and a powerstroke (i like the looks of the fords and the reliability of the cummins). i found a 7.3 w/ 260,000 miles on it. is that too many?

There is nothing wrong with the 6.0... You have a motor that was released too early but only had a 5 model year run, the last two years have been nearly trouble free... We have several 6.0's that have never been in the shop for more then a day... all have 150-200,000 miles.

A 7.3 with 260,000 miles is going to start having a lot of issues not necessarily due to the motor... Water pumps, PS pumps, alt, Injectors, fuel pumps. Tranny... Maybe they will last maybe they wont, depends on how it was taken care of.

Cummins is going to have the same issues. So pick your poison...

Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 AM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
You can always "destroke" the ford. www.destroked.com.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Budkole
Senior User
Budkole is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
There is nothing wrong with the 6.0... You have a motor that was released too early but only had a 5 model year run, the last two years have been nearly trouble free... We have several 6.0's that have never been in the shop for more then a day... all have 150-200,000 miles.

A 7.3 with 260,000 miles is going to start having a lot of issues not necessarily due to the motor... Water pumps, PS pumps, alt, Injectors, fuel pumps. Tranny... Maybe they will last maybe they wont, depends on how it was taken care of.

???? I cant believe what im reading! Surely you must be kidding ....and why make excuses for ford or international?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
slow_v6_stang
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

that seems quite rare to me. my dad has a '04 king ranch 6.0L with 75,000 miles and it has been in the shop many times including replacing the head gaskets and replacing the rear main seal THREE times.

on the other hand my grandparents have a 01 cummins with over 500,000 miles. all they've needed to replace that isnt normal wear (clutch, brakes, tires, etc) is the exhaust.

just seems to me that the dodge is a more solid truck, just wondering if a ford can stand up to over a half a million miles trouble-free

Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Budkole
Senior User
Budkole is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
The 7.3 has done the over 500k miles thing many times over. 500k is NOT uncommon for a 7.3. Also remember this, the 7.3 is used in many many different trucks, ie school busses and garbage trucks are just a few. anyways, like i said 500k is no prob for a 7.3. just my 2 cents, but the dodge truck is no way more solid than a ford truck.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
You can't define the word "truck" to be equivalent to the word "engine". To say that "the dodge is a more solid truck" is a pretty broad statement. In my personal experience, the dodge "truck" engine has been good, but the body doesn't seem to have the same quality of "bones" (i.e. body) as the Ford.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Ive got about 227K on my truck and would not hesitate to leave tomorrow, going cross country towing a 12k# fiver.

that being said, A million school busses cant be wrong. The 7.3L PSD was produced as a medium duty engine, as well as the 5.9l Cummins. The 6.0l was always classified as a light duty diesel, as well as the Duramax.

IMO the Dodge TRUCK(not the Cummins engine) was always under engineered(read: not built heavy enough) the truck interior was always cheap to me

Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.
Just go to your closest International Airport, stand still, look at all the freaky people, and listen to all the shuttles running them from spot to spot. They sound like 7.3s to me. That being said, a friend/cousin of mine has an 05 MegaCab pumping hi 7's/1100 something on the Dyno (of course not on straight #2, not stock turbo, trans, intake, intercooler, bla bla bla). Beautiful truck, lifted, sweet Toyos, 20" rims, cowl hood, you name it it's got it. But when we got in it for me to check it out, he said "but you know what?" And we both said "it's still a Dodge". Amazing how you can just tell from the quality of the "plastic" (pretty sad when we're comparing plastic) to the fit, finish, body parts, no inner fender wheel well liners, the list goes on.

I will say the leather is better in the Dodge though. Well that's enough.

Hey guys, Dino or Synthetic oil?!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
piotrsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
doesn't kennedyford have 508,000 on his? and he cross countries ALL the time

I believe there are a couple of other really high mileage (>500,000) people on this forum too with one claiming more than 650

the school busses we used to run with 7.3's and 6.9's usually wore out the bodies before they changed the engine. Turbo's and lady drivers were another thing however.

as for the correct answer: "we don't know, it ain't got there yet"

Old 01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
slow_v6_stang
Senior User
another thing is how the person took care of it before. heaven only knows if it got an oil change whenever it needed and it was driven conservatively and what not.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Diesel4me
Freshman User
Diesel4me is starting off with a positive reputation.
Something else that you might want to do (what I should have done) is get an oil analysis and take the suspect truck to a local diesel mechanic for a look-see. I am sure that the folks here can suggest a diesel-god that is local to you.

Me?? I bought a 2001 2wd lariat super crew with 43K on the clock. Everything checked out okay except the tranny. I just spent $3800 on a new one. The old tranny fluid was cooked.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Smokin'
Post Fiend
Smokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant future
Ford Vs. Dodge etc. etc., this is a pointless conversation because as we all know, it just depends on the truck and how well it's been taken care of. I have a 7.3 and have owned her for about a year now, and she's a solid, reliable truck. My dad has a Cummins that is also a very, very good, solid, reliable truck. I've also known people who've had bad experiences with diesel pickups of any make, or year, no matter what it is.

You should remain open-minded about the make and model of the vehicle you want to purchase, just so long as you are extremely particular about the maintenance and quality of the trucks you take into consideration.

Now, I think 260,000 is a lot of miles on a truck you are thinking about buying (depending on the $$ of course), even for an older 7.3, and I think i'd shoot for something with lower mileage. If you take the time to look, you'll find a nice vehicle. Like these guys are saying make sure you check that truck up, down, sideways and backwards, and make sure you have maintenance records. Diesels last forever but only if somebody loves them!

See below a good article written by one of our 7.3 boys about what to look for when buying a used 7.3:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ers_Guide.html

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.Orezona has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Ford Vs. Dodge etc. etc., this is a pointless conversation because as we all know, it just depends on the truck and how well it's been taken care of. I have a 7.3 and have owned her for about a year now, and she's a solid, reliable truck. My dad has a Cummins that is also a very, very good, solid, reliable truck. I've also known people who've had bad experiences with diesel pickups of any make, or year, no matter what it is.

You should remain open-minded about the make and model of the vehicle you want to purchase, just so long as you are extremely particular about the maintenance and quality of the trucks you take into consideration.

Now, I think 260,000 is a lot of miles on a truck you are thinking about buying (depending on the $$ of course), even for an older 7.3, and I think i'd shoot for something with lower mileage. If you take the time to look, you'll find a nice vehicle. Like these guys are saying make sure you check that truck up, down, sideways and backwards, and make sure you have maintenance records. Diesels last forever but only if somebody loves them!

See below a good article written by one of our 7.3 boys about what to look for when buying a used 7.3:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ers_Guide.html
All Ford vs the other brand aside, this is some very solid advice. Rep points due, because you brought a dead-end thread to some useful information.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 PM
millermad
New User
millermad is starting off with a positive reputation.
putting a 5.9 in place of a 7.3 just doesnt seem like a good idea...more power, i know, but it is streaching the rubber band IMO. i want to see a ford with a 3208 CAT in it.. that would be impressive!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how long does the 7.3L last?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.