Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long does the 7.3L last?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
O.K. this brings up the question, Just what is a foriegn car? Toyota, Hyundai, Honda,and Mercedes all have manufacturing facilities here in Alabama, as well as second tier suppliers. It is very much a thing that the foriegn car that you are referring to may be made in the USA. I would hope that you are talking about imported(built overseas and shipped to us) vehicles.
To me, the manufacturers you list are foreign car makers. I guess technically, so is my DuroCross. The difference is that truck is really a Dakota with a Mitsubishi skin made in the Detroit Dodge plant, not a complete foreign design. Maybe it's just BS in reality, but it still makes a difference *to me*.

I won't own a Toyota, Hyundai, or whatever any time soon. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Joe
------------------------------------------
2002 7.3L F250 XLT CrewCab ShortBed 2WD

Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Izzy351
To me, the manufacturers you list are foreign car makers. I guess technically, so is my DuroCross. The difference is that truck is really a Dakota with a Mitsubishi skin made in the Detroit Dodge plant, not a complete foreign design. Maybe it's just BS in reality, but it still makes a difference *to me*.

I won't own a Toyota, Hyundai, or whatever any time soon. Sorry, that's the way I see it.

Joe
AMEN to you and everyone in this thread who has something like that. In my driveway, all domestic cars! I like the bumper stick i have seen around here lately "Out of a Job yet, Keep buying foriegn" I live in the motorcity so that is why i belive in this statement. Sorry to all i may have affended but that is my belive as well.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Izzy351
To me, the manufacturers you list are foreign car makers. I guess technically, so is my DuroCross. The difference is that truck is really a Dakota with a Mitsubishi skin made in the Detroit Dodge plant, not a complete foreign design.

Joe
All of the previously mentioned car makers have design facilities here in the U.S. and most of the vehicles they produce here are designed here.... Now, don't take that and make me a foriegn car lover cause I am not. I own two Ford vehicles and am in the market for another 7.3l dually, I just have had this debate with some friends who happen to work for Hyundai, and was forceibly enligthened.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
danthatguy
New User
danthatguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
O.K. this brings up the question, Just what is a foriegn car? Toyota, Hyundai, Honda,and Mercedes all have manufacturing facilities here in Alabama, as well as second tier suppliers. It is very much a thing that the foriegn car that you are referring to may be made in the USA. I would hope that you are talking about imported(built overseas and shipped to us) vehicles.
There foriegn technology. Yes there built here because it is cheaper to build them here instead of them shipping them. I personally love my Nissans. Never had any type of failers. They have never left me on the side of the road. I had to replace a starter once. I have had 6 Nissan trucks, 4 of which had over 300k on them when I sold them. I also had a 300zx with 468k when it stopped clocking miles. All original trannys and motors. I own 4 Nissans right now and get great use out of them. I bought my Powerstroke to work out of, I needed a longbed and something to tow with. I cant exactly do that with my little sports cars. My F250 has 242k on it right now. Just replaced the tranny, water pump, starter, powersteering lines, and Cam sensor. I cant say anything bad about a Nissan. But my Ford is a work horse.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
All of the previously mentioned car makers have design facilities here in the U.S. and most of the vehicles they produce here are designed here.... Now, don't take that and make me a foriegn car lover cause I am not. I own two Ford vehicles and am in the market for another 7.3l dually, I just have had this debate with some friends who happen to work for Hyundai, and was forceibly enligthened.
This thread has been twisted pretty far from the original starting point, but there's one other piece to think about. There may be design centers here in the US, BUT I'm sure all the profits go overseas, then they invest some percentage back in the US business here. I'd rather keep all the $$$ here from the start. Granted, all these business are mixed up across the globe nowadays with foreign investors, so following the dollar around is probably damned near impossible. Look at who owns Mazda, Volvo, and Land Rover, for instance.

Like I said before, it's probably just something that makes *me* feel better, but I just can't bring myself to buy a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda.

Joe

Last edited by Izzy351; 03-06-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
Jeez, I kinda started another mess LOL. But I won't buy any car labeled with anything other than FORD. Although I do like some classic cars made by the big three in the 60's, I will never give a red blooded American red cent to some company that DOES take the money overseas, and ends up to "use" it against us. True, trhe global economy is important, but I just don't understand why we CAN'T sell as many of the big three in Japan as they do here. And the ones we do sell get taxed all to hell making them very expensive to import. Do you see any tarriffs going against the jap cars? Not nearly as much as we get slammed on. Do you think they'd allow a Ford or Chevy plant on jap soil? I don't think they have one and I seriously doubt they ever would. I don't care who anger with my words brothers, but I just wish American people had faith in this country so that it could be as strong as it once was, instead of selling out your country to save a buck on gas.....

Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 AM
totin_tools
Elder User
totin_tools is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The reason the Japanese companies are building here is because of the tax breaks we give them. Toyota just announced a plant near Tupelo, Ms. to build the Highlander. They are getting over 1/4 of the plant built with your tax money, in our backyards, and then send the money out of this country. Will I work there and build the plant, HELL YEA. Will I ever have one of their vehicles in my driveway, HELL NO. The idea I dont understand though is the companies here Ford, GM, Chrysler, say they cannot turn a profit and close plants, but yet they spend money all over the world building plants and then importing the items they produce in other counties back here. I heard the other day Ford is building a plant in Veitnam. This country is going down, everything is for sale, we are all getting exploited. It isnt just cars and trucks though. Go to the store and try to find something manufactured in the USA, most everything is made somewhere else. It is almost like hitting the lottery when you do find something made here, even if it does cost a few dollars more I spend it. Sorry for rambling, but I just had to say this after I read the last few posts.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
J.D
Senior User
J.D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mongo75
Jeez, I kinda started another mess LOL. But I won't buy any car labeled with anything other than FORD. Although I do like some classic cars made by the big three in the 60's, I will never give a red blooded American red cent to some company that DOES take the money overseas, and ends up to "use" it against us. True, trhe global economy is important, but I just don't understand why we CAN'T sell as many of the big three in Japan as they do here. And the ones we do sell get taxed all to hell making them very expensive to import. Do you see any tarriffs going against the jap cars? Not nearly as much as we get slammed on. Do you think they'd allow a Ford or Chevy plant on jap soil? I don't think they have one and I seriously doubt they ever would. I don't care who anger with my words brothers, but I just wish American people had faith in this country so that it could be as strong as it once was, instead of selling out your country to save a buck on gas.....
If everyone was as Patriotic and loyal as you guys, we would not be in the crap that we are in. It's not the United State of America any longer, it's the United States of Corporate America, Inc.....

Last edited by J.D; 03-07-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I'm with ya', man!! In fact, I've only owned Ford since day one. My first car was a 84 Mustang GT Conv 5.0/5 Spd that I dropped a 351W/C6 into (hence my name here!!), then a BroncoII, then a Ranger before getting the F250. Besides the $600 '88 Nissan beater (and I'm sorry, it was are real POS!!), I drove for a couple months while I did the work on the Mustang, I've never owned something foreign. My Wife drove an '89 Astro, then a 00 Astro until this year when she got the QuadCab Mitsubishi Raider DuroCross/Dodge Dakota clone. And even then, I wasn't real keen on it. The saving grace is that it's made in Detroit right next to the Dakotas. The reason we dumped the last Astro was because it started that friggin' DexCool leaking gasket BS at 62k miles (Google DexCool sometime if you're bored -- I'll never own a Chevy again, unless maybe they permanantly dump the Dex). And yes, I take care of my vehicles. I don't care what they say -- that stuff eats gaskets.

If Ford had a full-frame van like the Astro, we would've had one of them. But that's okay -- she's in love with the DuroCross now, so it's all good. Plus, it's under warranty until 2011.

Joe

Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
My first car was a '68 Mercury Commuter wagon with a 390 and a 9" rear. Then a '90 Ranger, a '96 F-150, and '97 F-150, and now my '99 F-350. I know some may not appreciate my bashing, but it's just part of the anger I hold towards what many have already said- the steady decline of America and it's values for a lousy extra profit. What's this S$%t about our tax dollars going to finance a foreign company?? How about using the money for a tax break or something for the big three?? Jeezuz efin Christ- now I got heartburn!!! These politicians got thier hands too deep in our pockets and thier heads TOO far up thier asses.....

Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
97 f-150 then a 99crown vic, then a 80 chevy pickup(mistake!) then a 04 ranger then mine 99 stroker. I will keep buyin my fords, they can take the beating i put on them and never fail completly on you. Ive been stranded twice once in the f-150 when the ac clutch went out and locked up the belt. And the stroker when i got a rock in my fuel line. other than that, no problems with the fords, the chevy on the other hand....

My buddy had some hondas(all blew up/broke apart) and let just say they cannot compare to my fords lol

Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
See post #21 in the thread linked below - over 2,000,000 miles!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...r-dummies.html

Old 03-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Jawahe
New User
Jawahe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jeez, I kinda started another mess LOL. But I won't buy any car labeled with anything other than FORD.

I feel the same way. Had a serious accident in 81 driving a Ford Granada. Hit a Lincoln in the passanger door as 65MPH. T-bone crash with no time to hit the brakes. Only me and the other guy in the cars. We were banged up a little but we both limped away. Since then nothing but Ford products in my driveway. I now have my F250 7.3L SD, but had to get the wife a Stincoln Lincoln to keep her out of my truck.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:36 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
It's actually only 200,000 miles

Old 06-13-2018, 01:10 AM
AlexMay
New User
AlexMay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PA_Ford_Man View Post
Well, I just purchased my first PSD, a 2002 F350 7.3L this summer with 212,000 miles and I'm darn proud of my purchase. I've had no issues at all with the engine OR transmission. Had to replace the drag link and a set of tires when I purchased it and of course I changed the oil & filter, but that was it. I'm looking forward to many years and many miles! I average about 12K per year, so check back with me in about 7-1/2 years, when I hit 300,000 !

Did you hit the 300k already? Lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how long does the 7.3L last?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.