Fuel Injectors on a 93 F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 AM
coldnorthpole
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injectors on a 93 F150

I have a 93 F150 and 1 of my fuel injectors is bad.
Is there a way to repair a bad fuel injector or am I stuck just buying a new one.
The fuel injector cleaner has been ran through it a many times and doesnt do any good.

I have heard that I should get the exact same injectors that are in the truck right now or the computer wont work right with the injectors. Is this correct?

I know they are pretty pricey. Around $85 bucks a piece correct??

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
codejunkie
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coldnorthpole
I have a 93 F150 and 1 of my fuel injectors is bad.
Is there a way to repair a bad fuel injector or am I stuck just buying a new one.
The fuel injector cleaner has been ran through it a many times and doesnt do any good.

I have heard that I should get the exact same injectors that are in the truck right now or the computer wont work right with the injectors. Is this correct?

I know they are pretty pricey. Around $85 bucks a piece correct??

Thanks for the help!
Like you, I probably ran a half-gallon of high-potency cleaners through mine before I finally decided to spring for new ones. My mechanic bud told me to not get the mill-run from the parts store because they are "within tolerance" for the sets. Suppose one might be on the bottom end of tollerance, while another might be on the top end of tolerance. At any rate, the computer cannot adjust for each injector individually (except on certain high end engines you and I will probably never buy...). I got rebuilt ("matched set" guaranteed until the sun burns out...) ones from a shop up in Ohio for ($32.oo?) each, plus an $8.00 core deposit until my old ones were returned to them. Just talked to their secretary and mailed off the old ones today.
Immediately upon replacement of all 6 injectors, the engine ran like a top. The computer seemed to fish around a bit trying to figure out what fuel flow it wanted, but that settled down in just a few miles of around town. Took it up "sardine canyon" at a smooth 65mph in 5th gear, and it will lug smoothly at 900rpm in 5th going up a slight incline. At any rate, I couldn't be happier with the new injectors.
Also blew out the fuel lines and installed a new filter (on the frame rail), before hooking up the fuel line, and installed a new pcv valve, radiator cap and thermostat. Was pleased to note there was no rust or debris in the old filter, but when the engine fired up I was amazed. It reminded me of an old TV advertisement they used to have of a car that ran so smooth that they had some poor guy sitting in the back seat with a table, hammer and chisel whacking away at a big diamond to show how smooth the car ran. At any rate, the gearshift has absolutely no vibration anymore and the engine runs like a good six should! :-)

Old 12-24-2006, 01:04 PM
jrjudd
Junior User
Is there any way to clean the injectors off of the truck. I am in the middle of a re-bulid and am short on funds to by new ones.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
coldnorthpole
Junior User
Thanks for the help codejunkie.
Do you know if there is any place online where you can buy rebuilt injectors?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
tim73
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a set from a junk yard a few years ago and they worked just fine. You can actually test them if want before you install them. I just did them one at a time, by holding them in the hole(Using a flashlight) having a helper crank the truck, look for squirting fuel(I had the wires for the other 5 disconnected so they wouldnt pulse)

I paid $50 for the whole rail...injectors regulator and everything.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
MonatheGrona94
Junior User
I had the same problem last week and i know you dont want to spend money but heres what i did. after alot of thought i found a set of 19lb injectors from summit theyre accel and i installed them reset the ecu let the computer relearn itself and its never run better, more power too.
If you are going to change out injectors and you have any kind of mileage on the engne your going to be better off buyin a new set rather than hoping o rings will properly seal on the old injectors.
the truck takes 14 or 15 lb injectors but i went with 19s in case i ever decide to add a cam.
Once you replace the injectors and you may want to buy new upper intake manifold gasket to make certain you havea good seal so no air leaks or the engine will race.
Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes then let it idle for a while so the system can relearn itself after afew mileso f driving it should run like a dream

Patrick

Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MonatheGrona94
I had the same problem last week and i know you dont want to spend money but heres what i did. after alot of thought i found a set of 19lb injectors from summit theyre accel and i installed them reset the ecu let the computer relearn itself and its never run better, more power too.
If you are going to change out injectors and you have any kind of mileage on the engne your going to be better off buyin a new set rather than hoping o rings will properly seal on the old injectors.
the truck takes 14 or 15 lb injectors but i went with 19s in case i ever decide to add a cam.
Once you replace the injectors and you may want to buy new upper intake manifold gasket to make certain you havea good seal so no air leaks or the engine will race.
Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes then let it idle for a while so the system can relearn itself after afew mileso f driving it should run like a dream

Patrick

Now thats interesting. Did you keep track of your mpg before this, if so, post up your results over the next few weeks.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
300 4 ever
Senior User
When I was replacing the intake gasket on mine, I found that the number 1 cylinder fuel injector porcelain on the end was cracked really badly. So, while I had it apart, I replaced it with a napa brand injector and have not had any troubles what so ever. My boss at work used to be a ford mechanic and he said that they would replace just one injector many of the times if it was the only bad one, with no bad results. About 1000 miles latter, everything is still fine with the engine running good and no trouble codes.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u can rebuild the factory injectors, search eBay for a seller called "mr injector". i bought a kit from him because i was going to rebuild a spare set of #14s but never got around to it.

the kit comes with new o-rings, screens, pintle caps and spares. i think i spent $20 shipped...

Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Food for thought

The stock 14 lb/hr injectors, actually flow more like 18~19 lb/hr injectors, due to the 4.9's higher fuel pressure setting, as injectors are flow rated at 43 psi.

Stock injectors should be good for 170-180 +/- HP, should be plenty for a cam swap on a stock engine.

Im just not so sure the computer can relearn the larger injectors or adjust the pulse width enough to compensate for the added potential flow, combined with the stock 4.9 fuel psi.

19 lb/hr injectors using the stock 4.9 fuel psi, are flowing more like 22~24 lb/hr injectors.

This is just rough estimates.

Still interested in how the larger injectors affect mpg, with no adjustment of fuel pressure.

Last edited by Motorhead351; 03-03-2007 at 07:22 AM.