1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,619 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Fuel pump problem

Does each tank have its own fuel pump? Last night running on the front tank with 1/4 tank of fuel. It acted like I was running out of fuel, I quickly changed tanks and it started running just fine again. I have not worked on it yet as my shop is full, I hope to get it there this afternoon. Just looking for ideas as what to look for?

Tim in Chelan

Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, each has an in-tank pump and screen. If you were able change tanks and keep going, it's the in-tank pump.

The fuel in the tank lubricates and cools the fuel pump. So as your tank empties, it has less fluid to cool the pump off and it begins to overheat and shut down.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Thanks I was afraid of that (The in tank pump that is). I will get it in the shop after lunch and verify that was the problem. Then drop the tank or lift the bed I wonder which is easier?

Old 12-03-2006, 06:40 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
If the tank is near empty, droping the tank. I've dropped the rear tank of my 89 several times, once the threads are clean, it's easy to get it up and down.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Well I finely made room in the shop for the Luxury Liner, man that is one long truck. It has been awhile sense I have had it in the shop, last couple of oil changes I have did outside do to I have had the cabover camper on. The good thing is I have not had to work on it. Anyway enough of the babbling.

It is the front tank that quit working, so I thought I would disconnect the fuel line going to the tank valve. Well I think I could probably figure it out but I will have to remove the skid plate to get to the valve, not a problem I just didn't have the time. Looking at the top of the tank (from the other side of the truck over the driveline) I can not figure out how to remove the lines. Do I need a special tool to remove them from the tank? And is there anything I need to know about the electrical connection? I tried to pry it off but it didn't seem like that was getting me anywhere.

I'm not sure how big the pump is but I have about 6" to 7" of clearance on the inside and maybe 4" to 5" on the outside. It doesn't look like it will be a real difficult job to do even if I have to loosen up the tank and drop it a few inches.

Tim

Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
You probably have A/C style quick connects. My 89 had the simple white retaining clip and pulls off. The A/C style take a specialized tool, the same for doing the fuel filter. Lisle makes a cheap one you can pick up at most places. You just clip the right sized one over the line and push it into the coupling.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
OK here what I found out. First off I did not specify but I have a 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel. After checking with a couple of parts houses and then doing more research on the Internet, I determined that my truck does not have fuel pumps in the tank.

The other night when it acted up, I could swear it was running out of fuel. I switched tanks and just before I came to a stop it started running again.

Tonight in the shop I drained the fuel filter and then switched to the front tank and started the truck. After a few minutes of running and it ran just fine, I shut it off and opened up the fuel filter housing and found it was full of fuel.

I did find a problem in the filter housing though. The heading element is burned in two and has come loose from the base.

Now with this info, I wonder if the fuel heater burned up the other night and put a draw on something causing it to shut down? It was at night and I didn't notice the lights doing anything weird. All the fuses test Ok and I don't see where heating element had shorted out to anything.

At this point I am pulling at straws; does anyone have any idea as to what could have caused my truck to act like it was running out of fuel?

Tim

Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Have you asked over in the diesel section?

I did learn over this weekend, that a sock in the gas tank will cause a similar problem.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
[QUOTE=ReAX]Have you asked over in the diesel section? [QUOTE]

No I haven't checked there, I kind of thought that this was more of a truck problem rather then a Diesel problem. I will make a post there tonight.

Thanks for the help
Tim

Old 12-05-2006, 09:20 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Them diesel heads are too good to congragate with us normal people, but a couple of them know alot about the Powerstrokes.