Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

smog pump question

Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to all
smog pump question

just tossing around an idea here....on my 89 listed in my sig i have removed the cats and disabled the egr, smog is not a problem....I hate how the pcv system sucks all the oil vapor into my inake and causes the buildup on everything, i have already made a crackcase breather that doesnt soak my air filter with oil like the stock element

i was thinking instead of running the pcv into the intake....run it into the intake of the smog pump and let the pump push the crankcase vapors into the exhaust.... that way there is still negative pressure in the crankcase, but im not pulling the vapors through the motor, similar to the systems used on alot of race engines...

anyone see any problem with this? think the smog pump would move too much air and i woudl have problems with gaskets sucking in??

just a thought since my smog pump is now doing nothing but pumping air into the atmosphere

Old 09-09-2006, 06:25 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
oil mist/vapor does burn....

Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
KubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to allKubotaOrange76 is a name known to all
yes, but it also coats the inside of my intake and the sensors in the intake before it burns,

Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Steeda has a neat little oil seperator that they developed for modular mustangs and list as being adaptable to just about any gas burner that uses a pvc valve. Sounds as if it would be just the ticket.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:50 PM
puck1263
Senior User
puck1263 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd check for proper PCV valve operation before I did anything. HOwever, if you intend to do something, lets borrow an idea from the cooling system. I suggest gettting an empty bottle from a quart of oil and mounting it (via cable ties, etc.) next to your air filter box. Re-route your PCV breather to it instead of the air filter box. Use the bottle as a collection vessel and drill a small hole in it to vent. That would solve your problem as long as you remember to check the bottle and empty it now and then. It's a little rednect, but better than expelling it to the ground.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
yes, but it also coats the inside of my intake and the sensors in the intake before it burns,
Then you have a clog somewhere. Oil vapor is all that is supposed to go into the intake, not quart after quart nor chucks of crispy oily matter.

I'd start by checking the PCV valve and go from there.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
nothing wrong with my pcv system, oil vapor is all tht goes into my intke, but i would rather it not go through my motor, it coats the intake air temp sensor and messes up the reading, its not near as bad now that i disabled the egr, this motor uses nor leaks any oil in 3k miles

i just wanted an opinion on how you all think the smog pump would do as far as keeping the crankcase under negative pressure, think it would be too much or too little?

Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 PM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
This thing had a bunch of blowby. I think a ring stuck as it started using 1 qt in 900 miles.

The pcv couldnt keep up, so i hooked it to the smog pump intake. Worked awesome and dumped it into the exhaust.

until the smog pump gave up the ghost and started squealing after a few weeks so i gutted it. Went to a dual pcv system��

later on i got the rings un stuck and oil consumption and excessive blowby stopped

Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 AM
frank5079
Senior User
frank5079 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76 View Post
This thing had a bunch of blowby. I think a ring stuck as it started using 1 qt in 900 miles.

The pcv couldnt keep up, so i hooked it to the smog pump intake. Worked awesome and dumped it into the exhaust.

until the smog pump gave up the ghost and started squealing after a few weeks so i gutted it. Went to a dual pcv system��

later on i got the rings un stuck and oil consumption and excessive blowby stopped
Blow by is what killed my old 300 six; mine started out initially like your problem and then later progressed as oil leaks. I started by replacing gaskets....first the bottom side cover gasket, then the top valve cover gasket. Then oil started seeping out of the air box, and then started pushing through my head gasket and mixing with my coolant. The final death knell was my PCV popping off. I was going to replace it with a straight hose connection, but the blow by through the PCV grommet ignited from a small exhaust crack in the rear of my exhaust manifold, resulting in a small fire that burned part of my rear engine harness as well as part of the fuel rail. The bright side to this was that I wanted to do a V8 swap anyway so the rest is history....I definitely love my 351 swap....

Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 AM
KubotaOrange76
Post Fiend
How many miles were on your 6 when that happened?

Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
oil catch can.
They are cheap on ebay or amazon. I installed one on my 300 I6 because of the gunk after 20+ years inside the intake. The hose routes from PCV to catch can then from catch can to intake.
Oil and water vapor stay in the can. I only have to empty mine once an oil change.