1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Installed headers on my '01...info inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Installed headers on my '01...info inside

It was a bit of a task too. However, between both sides, I only had 3 studs that stayed in the heads. The top of each stud has a hex head so a socket and ratchet can be used to remove the ones that don't come out with the nuts. Also, instead of using the supplied header bolts, I purchased a set of headers bolts with locking retainers...well worth the $38. I purchased the Summit headers, and stripped the black coating off of them (there is even a disclaimer on them stating the black coating is not recommended for high temp applications...), and shot them with a silver ceramic coating that is for high temp applications. So far, the coating has held up well and the headers look nice.

Performance and tone: The headers seem to compliment the Flomaster 40 series muffler and dual exhaust I have on it; gave it a louder/deeper note. I also felt a noticeable gain in power.

Hang ups: Of course, I had 3 studs that stayed in and they came out easily. I helped a friend of mine install long long tube headers on his 02 and a majority of the studs stayed in, but they were easy to remove as well. The EGR port, on the Summit headers, didn't line up well with the stock EGR line. I had to bend the line to get it close (which wasn't easy).

Recommendations: Locking headers bolts!!! This will prevent the bolts from backing out which will cause the header gaskets to fail. I put a small dab of anti-sieze on each bolt, since I used locking headers bolts, and it seemed to help get them started a little easier. When I helped my friend install headers on his 02, we didn't use anything and it was a bit of a pain. However, he is not using locking header bolts, and guess what...his truck has a blown gasket on the drivers side; there were two bolts that were loose in the same place we found the leak.
As most know, get all of the bolts started, and then tighten them starting from the center and working out. At the very begining of the install, I removed the collector bolts on both sides as well as the nut located at the crossover section, and moved the exhaust back away from the exhaust manifolds. This gave me a little more room to mount the new headers. Once the headrs were installed and bolts torqued, I tightend the collector bolts on both sides and then the crossover pipe section. Try and get all of the studs out; it makes the come out a little easier.

Not all headers are the same and application is different. Hopefully some of this will help those who plan to install aftermarket headers in the future.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for that

I'm sure it will come in handy on here.
I don't suppose you took any pictures?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:46 AM
GhostGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of it too, if you could do it

Old 08-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Blurry94
Here's a couple of pics of the passenger side, and it looks like the coating I sprayed on them is starting to flake off...oh well.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
tpgeneral
Freshman User
Did you leave the cats in?

Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Blurry94
Yes, the factory cats are still in place.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
tpgeneral
Freshman User
My cats terminate into a Y pipe, did you modify the Y pipe and add two mufflers for a ture daul system?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tpgeneral
My cats terminate into a Y pipe, did you modify the Y pipe and add two mufflers for a ture daul system?
Pics of my mod that removed the y pipe on my truck are in my gallery. Clicking on my name will bring up a menu to get to the gallery.

-Kerry

Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 AM
tpgeneral
Freshman User
Kerry

Was this a kit that you ordered? if so what was the part number?

Old 08-25-2006, 07:23 PM
tpgeneral
Freshman User
......bump

Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Only part of it was a kit, the Bassani Harley Davidson F150 kit for the 2002 and 2003 model years. I ordered it through MotorHaven, the site's affiliated store.

My set up at the y pipe is a patch work job, though. While the kit comes with all the part necessary for the supercharged Harley F150, you'll need to custom fab a setup to make it work on any F150 other than the Harley.

I don't have the exact specs for lengths and bends, but I pretty much documented which bends went where, and you have my pics to go off of. If you want to have an exhaust shop bend the pipes for you, expext to pay some bucks. There are tow bends that pretty much overlap each other comming off the driver's side down pipe.

The part number for the Bassani 2002 Harley F150 kit (two tie in pipes, muffler, exits with chrome tips, hangers, and hardware) BX15454H4 for the aluminized steel, drop the BX for the stainless set up. You'll need a 45 and a 90 2 1/2" mandrel bend, plus flanger to fit that diameter, if you're doing the patch work job I did. I also used a straight piece off my old 2 1/2" dual exhaust to patch the passenger side in.

Hope that helps.

-Kerry

Last edited by kspilkinton; 08-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Blurry94
It was a bit of a task too. However, between both sides, I only had 3 studs that stayed in the heads. The top of each stud has a hex head so a socket and ratchet can be used to remove the ones that don't come out with the nuts. Also, instead of using the supplied header bolts, I purchased a set of headers bolts with locking retainers...well worth the $38. I purchased the Summit headers, and stripped the black coating off of them (there is even a disclaimer on them stating the black coating is not recommended for high temp applications...), and shot them with a silver ceramic coating that is for high temp applications. So far, the coating has held up well and the headers look nice.

Performance and tone: The headers seem to compliment the Flomaster 40 series muffler and dual exhaust I have on it; gave it a louder/deeper note. I also felt a noticeable gain in power.

Hang ups: Of course, I had 3 studs that stayed in and they came out easily. I helped a friend of mine install long long tube headers on his 02 and a majority of the studs stayed in, but they were easy to remove as well. The EGR port, on the Summit headers, didn't line up well with the stock EGR line. I had to bend the line to get it close (which wasn't easy).

Recommendations: Locking headers bolts!!! This will prevent the bolts from backing out which will cause the header gaskets to fail. I put a small dab of anti-sieze on each bolt, since I used locking headers bolts, and it seemed to help get them started a little easier. When I helped my friend install headers on his 02, we didn't use anything and it was a bit of a pain. However, he is not using locking header bolts, and guess what...his truck has a blown gasket on the drivers side; there were two bolts that were loose in the same place we found the leak.
As most know, get all of the bolts started, and then tighten them starting from the center and working out. At the very begining of the install, I removed the collector bolts on both sides as well as the nut located at the crossover section, and moved the exhaust back away from the exhaust manifolds. This gave me a little more room to mount the new headers. Once the headrs were installed and bolts torqued, I tightend the collector bolts on both sides and then the crossover pipe section. Try and get all of the studs out; it makes the come out a little easier.

Not all headers are the same and application is different. Hopefully some of this will help those who plan to install aftermarket headers in the future.
were there any other issues? like the motor mount on the 4.6L? i have the 5.4L

this is what I'm looking at:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...d-headers.html