88 F-250 stalls off after 15min

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Stump Man
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 F-250 stalls off after 15min

After 15 min the truck just stalls. It sounds like it runs out of gas. It will not restart unless it sits for 20 min or so. It is taking longer to start each day. I put new wires on it and it did make a change. I do not have fule presure gage but when I open the schrater valve there is no fuel. I just put in a new fule tank and pump. The truck worked fine for about four weeks. The first thing I did was change the filter on the frame rail. It did not fix the problem. When the truck stalls I can here the pump build presure and shout off but ther is no fule on the rail.

Thanks for your help

Bill

Old 06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I had one do this and it was actually the pick-up coil in the distributor. The spark signal gets weak and the ecm turns off the fuel pump. After replacing pumps and such, I swapped out the distribtor and it has run every since.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Stump Man
Freshman User
Thanks, That got me looking at things. We are working 65hrs a week so I dont have much time to work on this thing. I checked my spark after it staled and the spark was good. The relays and the high presure pump are working and I have presure after the filter but not at the test port. The olny part that is inbetwine is the pressure control valve. I took it off and when I turned it over it had dark brown liquid that smelled like bad gas in the vackume side. I am going to pick one up in the morning and see what happens.

Bill

Old 06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
LxMan1

It could have debris in it that is moving around. It's worth a shot. Let me know how it works out.
Jimmy

Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Stump Man
Freshman User
OK I put in the new fuel regulater and a cap and roter. No inprovments. I found a spot where the insulation on the fuel line had melted . I replaced it and it did not help. I put a fuel presure gauge on and it shows 32 psi. As I watched it ran the presure was at 32 psi untill it just droped to 0 and the truck stalled. I could here the fuel pump run for abought 2 seconds and shot off but the gauge still read 0. I turned the key on and off so the pump would cycle and turn off as if it was at full presure but the gauge still read 0.

Bill

Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok, sounds like the high pressure pump is heating up and dying.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Stump Man
Freshman User
Istarted the truck up be for i left for work and got under to see if the pump turned off when the truk was running and it did not. but when the truk stalls I heer the pump run for a few seconds and trun off but ther is no presure at the rail.

Bill

Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
LxMan1

Sounds like the low pressure pump in the tank is not feeding the one on the frame.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Stump Man
Freshman User
Can the high presure pump pull fuel from the back tank past the low presure pump? The low pump and sending unit are new but you never know. The gas gauge still works for the back tank.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM
LxMan1

They don't pull well at all. That's why they are fed by the low pressure pumps. Have you checked the fuel pump relay to make sure it is working properly?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Stump Man
Freshman User
I think that the two relays are working fine. The pigh presure pump runs uns untill it stalls. Then it shouts off after 2 seconds or so.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:13 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
The pumps only run for two seconds after the engine stops and will only run for two seconds after the key is turn to the run position.
The Pumps do not stop after they build up pressure, the EEC turns them off and on and the EEC does not know what the fuel pressure is.

The 32 psi does not tell us much if you do not tell us how you got it.
If the engine was running this is too low.
To check fuel pressure you need to ground pin#6 of the DLC Connector (Test Connector) with the key in the on position.

Please give us a little more information.
What size engine?
How many fuel tanks do you have?
Sounds like you have one Tank.

My vote is with Ford_Six, I think you have a bad high-pressure pump although I can not rule out the Ignition System.

Here is a Diagram of the Test Connector.