Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Electric Welding Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Electric Welding Helmets

I have just enrolled in a welding program. (i get out of high school for half the year to go take it) I need to get my self a helmet. i thouhgt since this is something i really like i might as well get a nice one. I am looking for an auto darkening battery powered with four sensors. it would be nice to have an optioned helmet with all teh extra shades for grinding and that even though i probably wont use them. I was just wondering what your experiences have been with your helmets and what you would recommend. thanks

Old 06-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
I have had a solar powered auto darkening helmet for 3 years, I am very happy with it
It improved my welding, I would recommend getting one
I can't remember the make, it was a cheap one

Stephen

Old 06-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had one for a few years now and it's great.
Last year my dad got a cheap one from Princess Auto and it works well too.
I think there's a Princess Auto in Kelowna?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:40 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I welded for many years without one, and now I use it continuously. They aren't rated for grinding, and I wouldn't use it that way anyway for many reasons, but my battery operated unit doesn't quite get light enough to do a good job grinding, and the helmet itself is a bit heavy to do that for long. I got a $90 KT helmet at the local hardware store, and have been using it for almost 3 years now on the original battery.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
The One That I Was Looking At Is A Real Fancy Unit. Made By 3m Its Called "3m Speedglas 900 2x Series" It Says
-versatile Auto-darkening Filter,even For Use With Low Amp Tig Inverters.
-adf Offers Superior Optical Clarity, Increased Sensitivity, Consistent Shading And Delay Controls
-variable Shades Of 9-13, Light State Shade 3
-weighs 17.39 Oz
-includes Filter

This Is On Sale For An Amazingly Low Price Of $500. Its Actually A Nice Helmet. Ive Always Used My Dads Optrel When I Work Around At Home But This Helmet Is Going To Be With Me For A Long Time And I Want It To Last And Be Versatile. Many Of The Newer Helmets I Have Seen Are Boasting About Grinding Shades. I Think Its More For A Bit Of A Touch Up While You Are Welding Than Actual Full On Grinding. I Just Want Ed Some Opinions Of Your Own Helmets And What You Have Seen That Works And What Doesnt. All Opinions Are Greatly Appreciated.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an autodarkening helmet, that's battery powered. The thing I really like about it is if the batteries are dead (AA size), the helmet defaults to DARK therefore if the batteries die, I can still weld with it as if it were a standard helmet. A lot of the autodarkening helmets (particular the solar powered ones) don't do that - if the solar cells stop working (as rare as it is) they stay reasonably clear, which is really bad for your eyes if you're in the middle of a weld.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I do enough TIG that I hate auto darkening helmets. As soon as you crest the top of a pipe, they go light. Of course, you get flashed since the light is still right there.
I use a lightweight rubberized fiber helmet with a full size lens. It was $35, with a #11 filter. I did have to put an extended bib on it, I kept burning my neck. I just cut up my old thin tig gloves and taped one to the bottom of the hood. This thing is light, and fits places any other helmet couldn't even dream of.
Here's the one I use-
http://www.huntsmanproducts.com/prod...&productId=420

Old 06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Jackson Tiger hood for years, new in 1973, with the full sized lens. It was the lightest hood I ever had. The bottom was straight, not rounded inwards. At some point, I switched to a hood with the smaller glass, and flip up filter. I tried the auto-darkening and found I didn't like them. I always used a #10 filter, for mig, tig, and wire.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:01 PM
motrucker
New User
Welding Helmet

I had been welding as a Hobby for several years without a self-darkening helmet , and then Harbor Freight advertised a Battery Powered Self-darkening Helmet on sale for $ 49.00. That's when I decided to give it a try and I am very Pleased with the results ! It is nice to be able to see where your welding tip is in relation to your material all the way to the point of starting the weld . I really don't think you need to buy an expensive Helmet to get good results . Harbor Freight puts them on sale often .

Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use a solar powered helmet as a welding instructor in high school.
I think you'll find it very helpful, especially when first learning the process.
I can't see the need at all to buy a $500 helmet, though.
Worst to worst, buy the harbor freight helmet then pop the lens into a maybe little more expensive helmet (bought lensless) that fits/works better for you.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:08 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm typing this right now with a severe case of weld-flash. I spot welded for 2 hours yesterday without a helmet. One was available, but it's not a self-darkening unit and I got impatient. Weld flash is no fun, so I recommend an auto darkening helmet.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you get weld flash, don't use Visine. It'll make that sand in the eyes feeling more like acid in the eyes. There is stuff you can use, but one thing a guy told me to try is to lay down with a moist tea bag on each eye for a couple hours. I don't drink tea, so I haven't tried it.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I use a Miller Elite, the first time I put one on I was sold. It has a comfortable head band and a very flexible control panel. It defaults to dark and has out of postition sensors, so it will darken even if all sensors are activated by the arc.
If you are going to do this as a profession, you might as well be good equipment.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Jackson NexGen -

http://www.weldersource.com/07440705.html

- and I LOVE it - and I am spoiled!! The batteries died in it over the weekend, in the middle of welding, and I had to finish with one of my old helmets.... Yea that sucked!!

You won't be sorry if you get an auto-darkening helmet!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FirstTry;
I see you've been looking at the Speedglas series, I have and enjoy a 9000X but it has a fault.
Working outdoors in the sun it will go dark before you want dark is the only fault I have found besides not replacing battery. Would I buy another Speedglas, you bet but have a old fixed lens hood if I can't get under a umbrella outdoors.
.....=o&o>.....