Diesel Secret

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Fab one of the problems is it is advertised on this site in this forum. Ads by Google are show in this forum when you don't login and maybe if your not a supporter, not sure. I know I check in from time to time while at work and I don't always login. I saw it there today.
That's not good. New owners see these ads and figure that this stuff is OK to use. We knowingly run an ad for a product that we all CLAIM is at best, snake oil, and at worst, downright harmful. If we're serious about our claims, we need to be serious about our advertisers and our sponsors.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Vrcarranp

Do your self a favor and try this experiment.

1. Determine the ratio of kerosene to oil you want to use.
2. Buy enough kerosene and Veg Oil to make a small batch -- say 1 Qt.
3. Mix the two together in the proper proportions in a clear bottle, seal the bottle, shake the s*** out of it then shake it some more to be sure they are fully mixed.
4. Let the bottle sit on your workbench overnight.
5. If the two haven't seperated into layers by morning consider yourself a true alchemist because you have found a way to neutralize the laws of nature. -- It aint gonna happen.

The same thing will happen in your fuel tank and what you will be burning is either pure VO or pure Kerosene. Your truck will run on either but there are some nasty side effects.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 PM
RDC F250 7.3
Junior User
OK, I burn 50 gallons of dino a day (dump truck).

If I do a mix of:
50% dino
48% WVO
2% 93 unleaded
add a lil snake oil.

And burn it out each day, doing the mix in the AM.

with no mods to the truck or engine!!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RDC F250 7.3
OK, I burn 50 gallons of dino a day (dump truck).

If I do a mix of:
50% dino
48% WVO
2% 93 unleaded
add a lil snake oil.

And burn it out each day, doing the mix in the AM.

with no mods to the truck or engine!!
You will be buying a new engine.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 AM
ymmv
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
That's not good. New owners see these ads and figure that this stuff is OK to use. We knowingly run an ad for a product that we all CLAIM is at best, snake oil, and at worst, downright harmful. If we're serious about our claims, we need to be serious about our advertisers and our sponsors.
Web site sponsors are not endorsed by the site. If "The Swedish ***** Enlarger Company" wants to advertise on FTE, great, take their money, but there's no endorsement that the product works (it does ... ) or that anyone uses it (we do ...)

: )

Old 06-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by ymmv
Web site sponsors are not endorsed by the site. If "The Swedish ***** Enlarger Company" wants to advertise on FTE, great, take their money, but there's no endorsement that the product works (it does ... ) or that anyone uses it (we do ...)

: )
Yeah... We can claim "no endorsement" all we want, but we still have to face up to the 'guilt by association' thing. Remember, not all the readers on this forum are grizzled veterans with years of experience. For many, this is their first diesel, and they're an easy target for the Swedish enlarger folks. (My diesel is bigger than your diesel....) 8-D

All seriousness aside, will we take money form anyone? Is this list truly that desparate? Think I'll send in my membership dues this morning....

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
You will be buying a new engine.
It depends on what he is driving. I know a guy that has 40,000 miles running straight WVO in his 6.2 Chevrolet with no modifications. No heater or anything, just straight WVO. He says he knows someone doing the same with their 6.9 but I don't know if this is true or not.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Google has 10s of thousands of advertisers. We have thousands of posts each day. Google has an automated system that attempts to match ads to page content. We have neither the time nor the desire to view every thread on this site to make sure each and every one matches to ads that are acceptable to every user. Plus, Google varies ads by geographic location so there's no way for us to see them all. Additionally, we have neither the time nor the desire to test and review every possible product by every possible advertiser. We do screen direct advertisers for any problems we've seen mentioned, and work with them on issues that arise after they come on board.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt and don't assume we can watch every ad Google sends our way. Google gives us 200 filters to block ads. That's all.... against 10s of thousands of advertisers. The only thing we really have room for in those filters is competitors, scraper sites and ads by Ford's competitors.

You folks have brains, and I assume you investigate a product before you buy it, and not buy it solely based on an advertisement.

And please folks, cut it out with the "we" stuff. You aren't on FTE's payroll and can't speak for FTE as if you were.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 AM
ymmv
Senior User
Thumbs down Don't bite the

Originally Posted by webmaster
Google has 10s of thousands of advertisers. We have thousands of posts each day. Google has an automated system that attempts to match ads to page content. We have neither the time nor the desire to view every thread on this site to make sure each and every one matches to ads that are acceptable to every user. Plus, Google varies ads by geographic location so there's no way for us to see them all. Additionally, we have neither the time nor the desire to test and review every possible product by every possible advertiser. We do screen direct advertisers for any problems we've seen mentioned, and work with them on issues that arise after they come on board.
Makes sense to me.
Please give us the benefit of the doubt and don't assume we can watch every ad Google sends our way. Google gives us 200 filters to block ads. That's all.... against 10s of thousands of advertisers. The only thing we really have room for in those filters is competitors, scraper sites and ads by Ford's competitors.

You folks have brains, and I assume you investigate a product before you buy it, and not buy it solely based on an advertisement.
Caveat emptor.

<!--
And please folks, cut it out with the "we" stuff. You aren't on FTE's payroll and can't speak for FTE as if you were.
This comment makes you sound like a complete ***. What are you thinking? Forum sites live and die by creating a community (and having people use terms like "we") so I suggest you rephrase and reconsider. -->

Old 06-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AndysFords
It depends on what he is driving. I know a guy that has 40,000 miles running straight WVO in his 6.2 Chevrolet with no modifications. No heater or anything, just straight WVO. He says he knows someone doing the same with their 6.9 but I don't know if this is true or not.
Go for it

Hint -- Start saving money
Read what Fab posted in another thread

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
As I said; Using UNHEATED WVO will kill your engine. If you use HEATED WVO and start and stop on dino OR biodiesel it will work just fine. I have a Toyota diesel pickup at my shop that belongs to a local that LAUGHED at me for making biodiesel.........He is not laughing anymore. Using unheated WVO will over time coke up the injectors, destroy the IP, and build up behind the rings and cause excessive cylinder wear. In his case it was 22,000 miles. The cylinders had .012 wear,and the inside of the IP was worn so bad it can't be saved! This engine had less than 150,000 miles on it! I set him up with a small bio plant and he's using it in 3 different rigs and happy as a clam. The toyota is going to the scrapper.

FABMANDELUX.
His not the only report I have seen of coked injectors and excessive engine wear from using unheated straight WVO.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 06-12-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by webmaster
Sorry. I misunderstood the setup and scope. My bad.