cheaper safer easier bio-d

Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM
fireman660r
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cheaper safer easier bio-d

Has anyone heard of DSE (Diesel Secret-Energy). They are claiming that by filtering wvo and putting their secret special additive in your wvo you have a safe form of bio-diesel. I am not a chemist or biologist, but I am definately interested in a methanoless fuel. Little ones like to hang out with dad in the shop and I do not wish to subject them to the potential dangers (especially after reading about methanol recovery). Just search for "making boi-diesel at home" and these guys usually come up first. website is www.diesel-secret.com

They are very secretive about their solution, and if it works I don't blame them.

Anyway thanks for any info.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:05 PM
fireman660r
Senior User
sorry, correct website is www.dieselsecret.com

Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a scam.. BIG TIME SCAM and every reputable biodiesel forum on the internet has a special "sticky" post about the DSE scam.

If you put it in your engine, better save money to repair it.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Tranny fluid, kerosene, gasoline and one more common chemical...look as the msds sheet for it.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
captaincook
Junior User
this is what my buddy has used for 2 years now. Im going by his place this weekend to check it out. He swears by it.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Well then ask him how he gets the water out. What kind of veggie oil does he have. How long before he will replace and injector. Mine are laying on the garage floor from running the crap.....Im sorry im just not happy with diesel secret. The stuff really doesnt work when you use and oil used to cook pork, your in for a suprise with pork fat. The truck is hard to start and unheated you will replace a fuel pump at some time. Just my suggestion that you read up on everything and take even my comments with a grain of salt.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I got started with the DSE stuff. I then did a lot more research. I continue to use the basic process, but I no longer use their additive and I have added some steps.

I have not heard first hand of anyone having any problem with the process beyond clogged filters. I have yet to clog a filter in my truck. I have only clogged the filter in the Mercedes that came with the car when I bought it, since then the junk has been cleaned out of the tank just through use and no problems since. In the begining I went through filters on my fuel processing station pretty regularly, but since changing up my process a little, my filters last hundreds of gallons. I probably have 600 gallons on the present ones now.

Here's what I do: I collect my oil by either picking up the cubies the restaurant has set out for me or by using a pump to pull the oil out of a dumpster and put it into 5 gallon buckets. My first 55 gallon drum has a hole cut in it the allows a 5 gallon bucket to be inserted like a cork in a bottle. This 5 gallon bucket has a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom. I line this bucket with a pillow case (I buy them at the thrift shop for 50 cents each.) I pour the oil into the pillow case and wait for it to filter through. I stop pouring as soon as I see water or any junk going into the pillow case.

After I have filled up the 55 gallon drum I do a VERY simple mist wash just using a pump sprayer. My hope is that this will balance out any Ph issues as well as further flush out any contaminates. I spray several gallons of water, usually about 5 gallons/10% of the volume of the WVO, over the oil. I spray about a quart at a time, coming back in an hour or when ever I think of it to spray the next quart. After letting it sit for a day or more, I drain the water off of the bottom. I then drop in a heating element and heat the oil to 120* for 6 hours while a small fan blows air across the surface of the oil. I then let it settle as long as possible, anywhere from a week to a couple of months depending on how soon I need it.

You'll be amazed at how much stuff settles out over time.

A few days before I need the oil I transfer it through the DSE recomended filter set up and into a second 55 gallon drum, leaving behind the bottom 6" or so to be disposed of later. Once in the second drum, I heat the oil one more time as above and then let it settle again for a few days. I can't really tell you why I do this, except that I like to err on the side of caution and this is an easy step to repeat. I then transfer one more time into my third and final drum which I call my Blending drum.

On the DSE filter set up I do use a better pump then they suggest and I also wrap the two whole house filters with paper towels. The paper towels can be peeled off when they get clogged and it lets me get more use out of the actual filters. Once in the blending drum, I add the kerosene. Sometimes as little as 10%, sometimes as much as 30%. I add 5% RUG. I add the Power Service Diesel Kleen as DSE recommends, about 20 ounces for 30 gallons of WVO. Instead of the DSE stuff I'm using a 50/50 mix of xylene and naptha at the rate DSE recommends their stuff be used.

If you look at the MSDS for DSE you'll see that it's primarily naptha and xylene. Both can be bought at Lowe's for about $14 per gallon or $6 per quart. That's a whole lot less expensive than the DSE stuff. I've read both that the xylene allows the waterblock filter to catch suspended water and that the naptha allows any water that remains in the fuel to be processed by the vehicle without issue. I have no actual proof of those claims, but I reason that those additives certainly cannot hurt and may help, with viscosity if nothing else.

At each fill up I also add some StarTron to the vehicle per the directions on the lable as an algacide. I put a whole bottle of the stuff in my tanks when I first got started just to clean them out. You can get it at West Marine.

So far everything is working well and it's been a little over a year.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 AM
captaincook
Junior User
interesting info firemediceric.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Well then ask him how he gets the water out. What kind of veggie oil does he have. How long before he will replace and injector. Mine are laying on the garage floor from running the crap.....Im sorry im just not happy with diesel secret. The stuff really doesnt work when you use and oil used to cook pork, your in for a suprise with pork fat. The truck is hard to start and unheated you will replace a fuel pump at some time. Just my suggestion that you read up on everything and take even my comments with a grain of salt.
I don't believe in it, I think its crap, but it specifically said ONLY NON HYDORGENATED VEGGIE OIL, NO SHORTENING,NOT ANIMAL FATS.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 AM
masterglaizer
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by fireman660r
Has anyone heard of DSE (Diesel Secret-Energy). They are claiming that by filtering wvo and putting their secret special additive in your wvo you have a safe form of bio-diesel. I am not a chemist or biologist, but I am definately interested in a methanoless fuel. Little ones like to hang out with dad in the shop and I do not wish to subject them to the potential dangers (especially after reading about methanol recovery). Just search for "making boi-diesel at home" and these guys usually come up first. website is www.diesel-secret.com

They are very secretive about their solution, and if it works I don't blame them.

Anyway thanks for any info.
hi
i have been using the diesel secret energy system for over a year now with no ill effects to my truck, save one: i cannot smoke ppl out anymore when they do somthing stupid on the road and make me mad!!
my truck runs smoother, quieter and cleaner.
also there is no noticeable power loss.
my truck is a 1999 f-350 w/ 7.3 tdi.
the main thing i can tell you about using this system is try to get your oil as water free as possible dse says to use a water block filter, and i do, but the filter will only take out so mutch then the water starts to bypass.
espically if you get soap in the water, also if you get soap and water in your mix its ruined. water and oil will naturally seperate, but i have a batch of trash fuel that has been sitting for 8 months because it has saop and water in it.
i spent approx. 2000 on my plant because i did not like the trashcan idea. i used a closed top 55 gal drum for a holding tank and made a sealed system. i live in texas and it can get pretty dusty around here so i dicided to save myself some money on filters and go with a sealed system. its not perfect but it works well. any questions please ask and i will answer as best as i can. sean_mccrummen@yahoo.com
type :dse question in the subject box so it dosen't get deleted.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
how many miles would you say you have run dse?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 AM
masterglaizer
New User
Originally Posted by IceboxFX
how many miles would you say you have run dse?
this is a guess but i would say approx 50k last year