Notices

new line-x and now surface rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Kista20
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new line-x and now surface rust

Ok I had line-x sprayed in last mon. and everything has been fine but today I noticed surface rust is starting to form in the bed. I know that line-x is supposed to keep any of that from happening but it rained the whole day I had it sprayed and I feel like they didn't get the bed completly dry before they sprayed it. I should've taken pictures of the bed before it was done and there wasn't rust anywhere before this. Also if it is because they didn't get the bed dry enough they could've rescheduled me for some other day that was not raining. I have pics in my gallery but I haven't been able to take any of the rust.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was there something on the bed that rusted? or is it actual rust bubbles that you can see like under paint?

Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Kista20
Elder User
well nothing has been in the bed to rust, I've hauled some uhmw plastic then today my fourwheeler and aluminum ramps and when I put my ramps out to run my fourwheeler on I noticed it. It's surface rust starting to peek through. If tommorrow is nicer than it was today I'll take pics of it.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
I had some light surface rust in my bed before the Line-X was applied, they sanded and prepped really well. Its been in there 4 years, and still looks great. Also, it should be about a 1/4 inch thick, at least on the bed floor. Sounds like they let the "new kid" do your truck - I'd go back and have them fix/redo the job. Let us know what they say.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Kista20
Elder User
well mine def. is not 1/4" thick, it's more like 1/8"-3/16" it seems like they got more on top of the rails than the bottom of the bed. I'll have to get out there one morning before work this week and show it to them.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
Deffinantley take it back. There is no reason for rust to pop through, especially this early.If you have a Line X warranty, take it to another shop. It's Nationwide. I've had mine done over two years ago, and no problems.Sound like you had a chump outfit screw you over.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Kista20
Elder User
yeah it does seem that way, I'm not gonna say their name but they are in harrisonburg and I don't think they've been open that long and I know that they've just moved into the building where they are at now not that long ago. I just got done reading the warranty paper that they gave me and I know it's a nationwide warranty but it says to take it back to the place that sprayed if it's within 100 miles, if not then to call them for the nearest dealer. I guess I could call their 800 number and tell them I am totally dissatisfied with that dealerships work and tell them it's only been a week and it's already starting to rust and there was zero rust before then ask them if I can take it to the one that is the next closest which would be charlottesville.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
I hope it works out for you, I hate it when somthing that comes highly recommended, turn out to be a crap deal.How far is Charlottesville from you. Worse come to worse, make a weekend out of it.Hopefully the franchiser will compensate you, nobody wants a bad name.The main reason I got it was from recomendations and the nationwide warranty.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Kista20
Elder User
yeah same with me. I've always heard they was the best but also the most expensive. I didn't know there is a place here that does rhino but I've heard that a lot of people that get that aren't happy and wished the had gotten the line-x instead. The line-x in charlottesville is prob. only 45 min. or so from me so getting there is no big deal. I might just give them a call tommorrow and see what their hours are like and if they'll do anything for me even though I got it from the other place that did the crappy job. I feel that if it is their fault that they screwed it up and I take it back to them to fix it that realistically they could possibly screw it up again, lol. I was looking at the bed again earlier and it does seem like they didn't spray it thick enough and that it's rusting in the seam at the bottom of the sides and where the bed meets, then in the front corners and various speckles of it throught out the bed. It does look great and is functional but I'm not gonna have it rust out on me when it's supposed to prevent it. I was checking out their website earlier and I saw pics of beds that had bedliners installed and all the rust from it but whoever had installed mine put some kind of white coating that had really protected it. I took it out and cleaned it last summer then again when I took it out for good and it looked exactly the same underneath as before.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
The local Line X dealer for me (Virginia Beach, on Cleavland St.) took other Line X dealers work, as well as Rhino's. They made a name for themselves by making the customer number one.It's basically a coating that needs to adhere to the surface. You got a raw deal with the prep work, and thin coat. If it's rusting, the probable solution is to remove it, and do it over again. Not going over it again, the rust is already there (From them).Have you taken it back to the original dealer yet?

Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
Hell, they didn't even take your bed bolts out. That's standard procedure. They remove them, so in the case of an accident, and the bed needed removal, it wasn't a hassel, or damage to the liner itself.

Last edited by G'sRed99F150; 04-24-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would give the original dealer a chance to fix the problem. Unless you tell them there is a problem or that you are unhappy they will never know. What if they had a bad batch of "line-x" stuff. Maybe their machine had a problem. Maybe the guy that did it wasn't that great of an employee and got fired the next day.

I will be the first one in line to rail against crappy customer service. But you have to give them the chance to service you before you can claim it is crappy.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I'm a LINE-X dealer.

The typical thickness should be 3/16" on the bed and 1/8" on the sides. Rhino's are typically sprayed thicker because they have to, their product literally has less than half the tear strength of LINE-X (LINE-X 304 pli, Rhino 145 pli). Would you rather have 1/4" of aluminum or 1/8" of titanium?

It's difficult to say what the rust problem is without seeing. You can remove the rust from the bedliner by using CLR cleaner, available at most Wallymart type stores and grocery stores. If there was surface rust, the dealer should have removed it with a sander. If it's a little more than surface rust, the dealer should have removed what he could and then applied XPM primer (a special LINE-X primer). If you had deeeep rust, then you have a problem because nothing is going to stick to it. Now, typically, if you have rust, the nationwide lifetime warranty will NOT apply, however, the dealer can warranty it himself.

Last edited by TruckDaddy; 04-25-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Kista20
Elder User
I went to the dealer this morning and they claim it is just dirt, I feel like being a machinist for 8 yrs I should know what rusty metal looks like vs dirt. He first thought I meant the line-x was rusting but I know it can't rust. I thought maybe they might've sprayed it a little thin that left pinholes for water to get into. While talking he came up with 10 or so different reasons that dirt could've gotten into the back of my truck, then said my truck is 11 yrs old and that there is going to be rust somewhere. I asked about the bed bolts and he said that they are not going to break sockets on rusty bolts and that they have trouble getting them out of 3 yr old trucks. As for cleaning the bed he reccommended degreaser and a bristle brush then use a pressure washer to wash it out, so I stayed after work today for almost 3 hrs cleaning it, I don't have a pressure washer but my buddy has one that I can use. So from being on the back of my truck all evening I still feel like they did great of the sides and the tops of the rails but I feel like the front of the bed and the bottom could've been thicker, if you look in the first picture just under the lip on the front that it's shiny there but that may just be a hard spot to get too.