2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop-in or Line-X Spray on?? (Dents)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:24 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop-in or Line-X Spray on?? (Dents)

So I was sure that I would be visiting the nearest Line-X dealer to have a color-matched bed liner sprayed on my new FX4.

I've always used drop-in's in the past and had very good results from them. Yes, they act like sand paper and grind areas on the bed down to the metal over time ... but I've never had trouble with rust as the areas that usually get this way are continually "sanded" by the bed liner which keeps the rust at bay.

Anyway ... with all the hoopla surrounding the Line-X Spray-in, I figured I'd go that route this time. That was until I read an interesting comparison where the possibility of bed dents was highlighted.

For thise with a spray-in liner (any brand), take this example and comment on it:

Let's say you were loading just regular bricks by hand and one drops from let's say waist height. Let's imagine that is doesn't land in the truck exactly flat. Would you have a dent in your brand new truck bed with you expensive spray-in bed liner??? The general answer I'm getting is yes, you would.

If this same thing would happen with a drop-in liner, you would be spared of dent.

I'm still undecided on which way to go ... and I suppose this is all in relation to how one utilizes their truck bed ... whether as a grocery bag hauler, occasional heavy hauler, or big-time heavy hauler. I myself would be in the "occasional hauler" category. I have had heavy things drop in my previous truck beds that would've caused dents if not for the bed liner.

If I do go with another drop-in liner, however, I think I'm gonna use the pre-liner that keeps the liner from "sanding" the bed .... here's a >> LINK <<

Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM
gmiller0737
New User
I went with the Pendaliner Skid Resistor with a paint protection pad like in the link you supplied ,I have always had drop in liners and never had a rust problem I have seen several of my friends spray in liners with problems Rhino tends to fade badly from uv rays my Father In Laws looks flat black after a couple of years except where it peeled off and had to be touched up, some other pepole I know have also had problems with peeling,also I think spray in's offer no dent protection.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Benoit1967
Senior User
My opinion - No Drop In. A good Spray on is the way to go.

I bought the rhino kit (or was it hippo?) and did it myself. It's OK... but I would go with the real deal the next time.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Curveman
Junior User
I went with a spray-in as I liked the non slip as well as stuff not getting behind it like a drop-in, the dropin warping etc. Dents? It's a truck! I'd prefer to avoid scratches if I can (although I take my car in the woods) but it never occured to me to worry about the bed. From what I undersand they can be easily repaired too. Why care about fading the bed?

Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I wouldn't do either if I were you. I bought a bed mat to protect the bed floor and keep stuff from sliding around. The spray-ons do not protect against denting and they look tacky after a while and the drop-ins let stuff slide around. If my wheel wells get scratched up and dented while I have it, I will buy a drop-in and put it in it when I get ready to trade. I've tried all and the bed mat does the best job for me.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
I had already decided to get a spray on liner, then my wife surprised me with a drop in liner and hard toneau cover for Father's Day. No way will I tell her I wanted something different.

John

Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Hookin' 1963
Junior User
Do they make anything to put on the drop in liners to prevent cargo from sliding??

Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM
2Fords1Jeep
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drop bricks in your truck on a regular basis, the bed will be trashed eventually no matter what you use as a liner. I've never seen a mason's truck with a decent looking bed (liner included)....or tailgate for that matter
Personally I went with Line-X and so far I'm very happy with it. It is a work truck (I'm a G.C.) and the bed gets worked hard on a daily basis (no bricks).

Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM
rpxr400
Senior User
I have a drop-in liner from Ford, and to keep stuff from sliding around, I got the rubber bed mat from the dealer. It keeps stuff from sliding around, and is easily removed if I want the bedliner bare - like if I get a load of soil or mulch. Then the shovel slides easily over the liner.

A coworker has the Rhino liner. He said it was black then they applied it, and now it's a brownish color. I personally don't like the look, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

Rick

Old 08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
AirborneRanger
Freshman User
I recently purchased a 2005 F150 X-Cab (after holding on to a Ranger for 12 years) and had all intentions of a Rhino liner...until I priced them....$450.00. The Ranger had a drop in and it lasted 12 years + (it was good when I traded it) so for $129.00 for the liner at Leonards I can buy a few more gallons of gas with the savings. I also plan to get a hard tonneau (the Undercover) later on so the liner will work okay.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 PM
automatic
Freshman User
I just bought a used F-150. Bed was scratched pretty bad and there were a few baseball sized dents in it. If it weren't for the fact the bed was scratched I'd have dropped in a bed liner and forgotten it (previous truck had a drop in that really worked well). I think the 'rust' issue is way over blown... no issues with bed while salt ate up rocker panels and fenders.

I just sanded down the inside of the bed and sprayed in Duplicolor's "Bed Liner" (~$8/can at Autozone, Advance, Walmart) it took me about 12 hrs. and 10 cans to do it right but, it looked pretty good. Now... the new Penda Skid Resistor bed liner will be put in on top of it tomorrow.

I may even go with put a mat in on top of it in the future... over kill for sure but, for about what I was quoted for Rhino & Line-X I've got multilayer protection.

Hope you find the right solution for you.

Respectfully,
Automatic

Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Crownie
Senior User
An article in American Hunter magazine stated that the line-x coating will be between 1/8" and 3/16" thick. That's almost assuredly thicker than the sheet metal it's sprayed on. I would think that adds quite a bit of dent resistance. Have used both systems, no problem with either, but less sliding cargo with the spray-on.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 PM
tadpole88
New User
What about a BedRug, has anyone thought of that option? From the opinions of those who own them they have nothing but good things to say.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
powerman88
Senior User
Bed mats - Fold, flip and flop making it hard to load cargo. They won't allow you to slide anything in and out. Dirt, leaves, branches, and other debris magically find their way underneath the mat on a regular basis. The truck bed is a pain to keep clean with a mat in place. No protection of the entire bed as it only sits on the floor. Visible dings and scratches will occur on the paint.

Spray-on liners - No good for me because they scratch my cargo. Little protection from dings.

Bed rugs - Not very versitile for a variety of cargo. Harder to keep clean. What if you hauled a bunch of mulch or top soil. Wouldn't it get nasty? Would it hold up in the ice and snow as good as a bed liner or mat?

Bedliners - Easy to load cargo and slide heavy objects in and out. Won't scratch your merchandise. They conform to the contours of the bed, and won't flip and flop like a mat does. Ribbed floors provide drainage and airflow between the bed and the liner to reduce mold, mildew and corrosion. Slotted bed rails will keep the cargo from moving. Removable unlike a spray on liner. It's easy to clean. Protection from dings.

Last edited by powerman88; 08-24-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
powerman88
Senior User
Originally Posted by 98SurplusExpy
If I do go with another drop-in liner, however, I think I'm gonna use the pre-liner that keeps the liner from "sanding" the bed .... here's a >> LINK <<
I liked that idea.

Quick Reply: Drop-in or Line-X Spray on?? (Dents)