Notices

K&N filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Grant12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N filters

Will the k&n filter set up really increase my horsepower 14.3 on my 2003 5.4 ?And if so whats a good price ?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search on K&N and you will find there has been a lot of information posted. In the truely independent (not paid for by K&N) tests I have seen, there is no performance increase with the K&N. There is also a risk of engine damage due to the amount of dirt & oil that they pass. So, IMHO, stay with the OEM paper filter, and change it regularly.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
yorgborg
New User
I have used k&n. I didn't notice an increase in anything except oil film on my maf sensor. i don't like cleaning them and re-oiling either. I believe in paper now.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 AM
96ninjaman
New User
I've had good experience with K&N filters, but I know at least for Mustangs, the bigger power increases are always for Cobras or aftermarket supercharged cars. There is not much increase for 2 valve Normally Aspirated engines.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
86moneypit
Senior User
Ive put K&N in both my F-150 and My parents Expy. The P/U has an exhaust and stock intake, the Expy Fully Stock. I found that there was more of a gain on my P/U b/c of the exhuast.

Just a note When i added the filter i had owned the truck for about a year (bought it used) and it came from the dealer with the exhaust.

Just My opinion-Kenneth

Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Grant12
Senior User
Thanks just needed that verified I did a search on the fte site and just wanted some fresh answers I really dont see how a filter can increase horsepower on my engine I mean dont you think the motorcraft filter would be the best?They made it!appreciate ya!

Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Filter

Now if you had a Diesel I would say its a must have. You have to move that air in and out of your engine to keep the exhaust temp down if you run a hot tune. Gas engine......paper over plastic. No advantage.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:13 AM
sigma
Senior User
The stock paper filter easily flows enough air volume to supply a stock or nearly stock motor with the normal bolt on modification. The amount of air ingested by the engine is controlled by throttle size, throttle position, intake plenum design, intake runner design, valve size, valve lift, valve timing, and the flow characteristics of the exhaust system. Since the stock filter is not creating a restriction in the air path you will not see any peak HP increase by replace it with an aftermarket filter.

The advertised 14.3 HP increase is a marketing ploy found by picking the highest single point difference on the dyno curve where the filter behaves differently from the stock filter. The highest single point difference makes for good marketing and avoids a false advertising lawsuit. However, it does not mean you are going to pick up 14.3 peak HP. The point could be located anywhere from idle to redline.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sigma
The stock paper filter easily flows enough air volume to supply a stock or nearly stock motor with the normal bolt on modification. The amount of air ingested by the engine is controlled by throttle size, throttle position, intake plenum design, intake runner design, valve size, valve lift, valve timing, and the flow characteristics of the exhaust system. Since the stock filter is not creating a restriction in the air path you will not see any peak HP increase by replace it with an aftermarket filter.

The advertised 14.3 HP increase is a marketing ploy found by picking the highest single point difference on the dyno curve where the filter behaves differently from the stock filter. The highest single point difference makes for good marketing and avoids a false advertising lawsuit. However, it does not mean you are going to pick up 14.3 peak HP. The point could be located anywhere from idle to redline.
I totally agree!!! With CAFE, does anybody think a vehicle manufacturer would design an air filter and intake system that would affect performance and MPG by being flow restrictive?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Grant12
Senior User
Change the oil yesterday and she had a K&n filter It was dirty I was scared to clean it.I dont have any oil for it I checked the maf it was nice and clean.I noticed at the top of this thread a K&n add popped up saying 13hp increase on 5.4 please.I putting in a stock filter she does have a chip though any more powerful input would be heard appreciate ya!

Old 01-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Grant12
Change the oil yesterday and she had a K&n filter It was dirty I was scared to clean it.I dont have any oil for it I checked the maf it was nice and clean.I noticed at the top of this thread a K&n add popped up saying 13hp increase on 5.4 please.I putting in a stock filter she does have a chip though any more powerful input would be heard appreciate ya!
The dirt will build up on the MAF filament wire, did you check it????

Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Grant12
Senior User
No I didnt thanks Ill give her a look.I really want to change it I just dont like a dirty filter that is that easy to change.I mean somebody said it would work better dirty.Dirt clogs holes hello!I would rather spend 12 bucks than let a filter sit in my truck forever.appreciate ya!At 50 bucks for a air filter that thing better pop wheelies!

Old 01-06-2006, 08:15 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Hahahaha thats funny

As Im responding I see the same K&N Banner. Our online store sells everything K&N has, and I will tell you honestly. i can sell you a tuner, K&N, Exhaust, and throttle body. If you add all advertised HP you should notice about 60 HP gain! That is Increadable! But you wont see that. You wont even notice the slightes gains in HP. I know I had a 2001 with a 5.4. I wont lie to you to sell something. Know you probably will notice some fuel savings, but it would take a long time to recover the 1k it would cost. I really Liked the cat back duels split I put on it. SOUNDED great. No HP advantage that i could notice. I think Comp Cams sells cams for those, but boy are the expensive.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:16 PM
bucky440
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
I totally agree!!! With CAFE, does anybody think a vehicle manufacturer would design an air filter and intake system that would affect performance and MPG by being flow restrictive?

You are forgetting that the designers also have noise considerations and packaging considrations to meet which do have negative effects on the design of the air intake systems. Also, the K&N real improvements are not for their factory replacement type intake filters but for the whole system. I've used them on three different vehicles and had noticable possitive results each time; really made my V10 04Ex pep up.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I put a K&N on my 1997 Ranger 4.0, it felt like a bit more torque right off the line. Though if someone said it was my imagination and made no difference in real numbers I would have believed that too. Made no MPG difference.

Quick Reply: K&N filters