1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

CCV Mod Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:44 AM
jimkidd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene W
I can only see two reasons to do this mod. The first would be if you have an intercooler...

The second would be to create a cleaner looking intake mod...

Anyone have a different opinion or some other benefit to doing this mod on an OBS truck?

Gene
I can think of two reasons Ford would put it there when it's not needed. The first would be most people don't want an oil spot in their driveway.

The second, and unfortunately the probable real reason, is the insane environmental regulations which we all have to live with.

jimbo

Old 04-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Rowdyone
Senior User
More good reading here You guys seen my Gallery? The PIC's of the engine compartment shows a pretty decent home brew of air intake mods along with a few other home mods done to the GWE(Great White Elephant-my truck)

I don't have PIC's of the CCV mod in my gallery yet, been changing things up on this as I try different ways to draft it through the exhaust and have not finished this as of yet.

Good point about the oil layer in the intercooler affecting the tranfer of heat. I don't run an intercooler, but a great point still the same. As I mentioned already though, you think about just how hard the turbo spins and pulls on the intake air, well that smoke and oil mist impacting the leading edge of the turbo impeller blades will over time take its toll and dull the leading edge. Now it won't be as fast as a raw air leak with all the dirt and dust, but it will dull the edge. Its also going to slow the air flow down as well as; slow the turbo down as it has to pull all the vent through itself. One plus to this I think about here is the added oil will help cool things and keep temper in the metals as you shut down the motor and she cools off,hummm and good thing...

For as hurting the motor to run on the vent plume, NOT...
The diesel is an oil burner period, and a very good one LOL.
So what little oil is added into the combustion chamber each time they are charged up to ignite, its just burned with the rest. Now IMHO I could see a little more carbon built up from the added crankcase oil. Which with time can foul the combustion chamber, injector nozzles and corrode up the glow plugs at the base where they thread into the heads, making them hard to remove. Just my two cents worth.

I don't see a big hp improvement though making this mod, unless maybe your PSD is a tired ol'e gal that puffs hard and with lots of blow going through the system like that, I think you would see a big improvement with your performance as well as already mentioned less oil usage.

Now from what I have seen on the few trucks I have done the CCV mod to and talked with those that have, two small problems show up. There is always cons to things also, we should talk about as well.

One, being if you just dump it out and drop a hose overboard and vent outside, this place where you end the dropped hose is always nasty. Drips all the time in the driveway and makes the underside of the truck in this area nasty. This is the easiest way to do this mod though...

A second con to this, one I have been messing around with also is when putting into the exhaust and setup for drafting the plume out, the area you tap the exhaust get hot. This in turn burns rubber hoses, some faster than others and depending on how hard you push the PSD LOL.

I have moved the tap point on the exhaust around each time further and further back to get a more cool running area for this. Each time better than the other but still hot enough that over time I think its going to be one that needs a braided steel hose for this or plumb this with steel tubing.

At the point I am with my CCV mod, I want to get the time to install the draft of the CCV mod where I tapped my exhaust for the temp probe. I have a PIC of this in my first gallery. I drilled and tapped right behind the turbo for this.

I have been pondering just on how I would like to proceed with this though, as I know to get the best draft and one with no back flow or charge into the intake you need to stick a little pipe into the tapped area and run it down inside with the direction of exhaust flow. This will setup a design that will not have to use a check valve to stop a cough or charge into the intake system.

What I want to do, is remove the small cast fitting I drilled and tapped for the temp prob. Then tig a small piece of pipe on the inside and run it straight with the direction of flow but on the inside of the turn of the fitting. This would be the path of least resistance for the exhaust flow and will do the very least amount of resistance to the exhaust flow.

So I am thinking to tig the small pipe right to the inside of the fitting and run it down the inside of the turn and tig it flat to the side. This way its not sticking out any more than the diameter of the small pipe itself. Then tig, threaded fitting to attach stainless braided hose or tubing over to the engine. All this would have the same motor flex and vibration for the most part, so I would think that wouldn't be a problem.

This is what I have come up with next anyway. Want be a bad project really, but one that will take a good afternoon with no other honey do's to deal with. Hope to read everyone thoughts about this as well as what some may come up with to add to the thread. Someone else may even bring up a good reason or other way to do this and change my plans LOL... I just know I don't think of the mod I have so for as one that is solid yet

Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rowdyone,

Good post. I hadn't considered that the impact of the oil may harm the turbo impeller over time. It seems like the blow by combustion products might be a less desirable air supply than clean filtered air though.

You might consider a catch can as an interim step, or even as an alternative to the exhaust tap, to stop the oil spot on the ground. A lot of old cars were set up with a can on the crank case vent and it's the norm for race cars as well. Or adding a can in the circuit between the CCV hose and the pipe welded into the exhaust pipe, might provide a thermal brake that would keep your hose from deteriorating.

Gene

Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gene W
It seems like the blow by combustion products might be a less desirable air supply than clean filtered air though.
I think that should be the #1 reason for doing it.

When I run mine into the exhaust I will weld on a pipe bung, then use a compression fitting and some copper tubing. run about three feet of copper then connect to my clear tubing that is my CCV.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-14-2006, 12:37 AM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
I'm going to do the Kwik Filter mod, because it can't be nothing but good. I have a question to all that has done the CCV mod. I like the idea of getting the crap out of the intake side too, but I'm concerned about emission testing. Colorado is real strict about mods etc done to the engines. Has anyone had any problems with their engines not passing emissions after doing the mod. I would think that the emissions should be cleaner, but want to make sure. I'm also wanting to dump the gases into the exhaust using a probe and check valve from Moroso. Any responses will be appreciated.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:09 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as I know the only test on a diesel is an opacity test, where they measure the amount of smoke that comes out of the tail pipe at WOT. I have family out there and have been to a few dyno runs and there are more then a few "non compliant" vehicles in CO. you'll prolly be ok, and as long as you keep all the parts you can reverse it if nessecary.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. That sounds like a good market for the chip guys. Add a setting below the standard program that runs a little leaner and "greener" for those pesky emissions test.

Gene

Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Thanks Diesel Rod. This is the first time I've owned a diesel and the first time at the inspection place. He did ask me all kinds of questions in regard to mods. I have the HyperTech programmed in. I told him nothing but stock and it passed with flying colors. I was planning to keep all parts, so it will be reversible. By the way guys, I put the Kwik Filter 6637 on today. Holy cow what a difference. Much quicker acceleration and it seems to be much smoother now. Noticable difference. And the turbo spinup whine is to die for I can see I'm going to have fun with this truck.