Custom XM/Sirius Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom XM/Sirius Install

Ok after living here in the US for about 6 months now, I have finally decided that all the regular radio stations are in fact complete and utter ***** (why it took me so long to figure this out I don’t know). So lately I have been thinking about getting satellite (not sure yet on Sirius or XM).

Now since my factory HU does not enable direct control of satellite, I guess I will be getting one of the little portable ones with the FM modulation (or whatever it’s called). Ok this leads me onto my questions first of all; do these portable satellite receivers run off one of the regular power points? (Cigarette lighter).

Now my plan is to fabricate some sort of holder for the satellite in the cup holder (the one to the right of the power points on a 2000 F-150 with 2 holders) as a) I don’t need 4 cup holders, and b) I don’t want to have the thing stuck on the top of my dash and c) I don’t need to see the display on the satellite, as long as the music plays clearly so………<O</O

1) Realizing I could just measure a satellite tuner does anyone know if one will fit inside the cup holder laying down?

2) Will the FM reception on the HU be affected if I have the cup holder closed? I would guess no since it’s still right next to the satellite.

3) How easy will it be to rig up a power point into this cup holder for the satellite to run off?<O</O

I am not sure yet if I want to go ahead and do this, but am hoping that its possible as I want to keep my dash as clean and clear looking as possible, so don’t really want the XM/Sirius sitting on top of the dash or on some crappy looking mount poking out of the dash.<O</O

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are head units that can replace your current one that support XM satellite radio and FM bands.

I'm sorry to hear about you not liking the FM stations. Ours here in Kansas City are incredible in range and quality.

Ryan

Old 03-29-2006, 12:56 PM
naiku
Mountain Pass
The problem is that at the moment I can't afford (or justify) replacing the entire HU as I have the 6 disc changer. Hence why I am looking at the FM modulated satellite.

Yeah the FM stations here in Northern VA suck, especially compared to what I am used to from the UK. Here it's either country stations or stations that play 1 song then about 10 minutes of ad's, adn the songs they do play are from a list of about 20 that are repeated every hour or so.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:34 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
trust me, xm isnt worth the money to purchase. i had it and used it for 2 months and decided and mp3 player was much more worth my money

Matt

Old 03-29-2006, 01:38 PM
naiku
Mountain Pass
Thanks fordboy, the other thing I had been thinking about was the cost. Kinda sucks to me having to pay for satellite (digital radio is free in the UK). Hmmm might have to think about this a bit more (I do have an MP3 player already).

Old 03-29-2006, 11:34 PM
coldairintake
Junior User
check out www.myradiostore.com for XM stuff

You can get a simple setup with a Roady2 and connector for less than $75.

It's worth the $12 per month to not hear commercials. I have the connector that goes directly to the fm antenna http://www.myradiostore.us/fmmodulat...t-sa10112.html
and the sound is great. If you spend a lot of time in the car, you will never listen to regular commericial radio again.

Last edited by coldairintake; 03-29-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:57 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I've got xm and like it, but I suggust checking out both xm and sirrus before deciding

Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
bucky440
Senior User
I agree, FM radio is pathetic. I have had Sirius for almost three years and love it. The quality (sound, noise, interferance in large metro area) of the FM Modulator set ups to get the signal into your radio is not great, but it is portable and a good way to start. By the way, Sirius has UK Radio 1 on chanel 8 if you miss that from home.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Red_F150
New User
You may want to get an adapter from PIE instead of using the FM Mod. I have an 04 and the difference between the FM Mod and the PIE adapter is night and day. The adapter will let you set the gain control to help balance the difference between the inputs (CD, Stereo...) so when you switch to something other than the SAT it will be about the same volume.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Red_F150
New User
Also if you sign up for 6-Months of XM you can get a free Roady XT.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:00 AM
bucky440
Senior User
Yea - XM is really giving it away lately, trying to keep there numbers up.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
You guys are really satisfied with your XM radios? I've heard it and been disappointed time after time. They have it in our weightlifting gym. It's awful. Half of the music is some terrible 'up and coming' artist that's trying to get coverage. Are there any good stations that play solid good music all of the time, or are they all chocked full of people I've never heard of?

Ryan

Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 AM
TN-W124 Diesel
Elder User
I would not buy a FM modulation unit, it is fine if you stay in the same area that you have the FM station programmed to, but if you leave that area you will be changing the station all the time. I had one and returned it. And the sound is not good. I bought the Kenwood EZ 900 HDS-HD. Go to crutchfield.com

Old 04-02-2006, 05:12 AM
joshtrel99
Freshman User
I love the XM service. I travel a lot, and I like to listen to sports radio and talk radio, and typically that is on am stations. Drive for more than 20 miles and generally I lose the feed, and then Im playing the game where I am searching for something to listen to. Same goes for typical fm music - sooner than later, it is gone. XM is always there, and with exceptional clarity - especially with the things that are typically relegated to AM.

I have the Roady 2 with the FM modulator. I really am not thrilled with the hardware, and am looking to go with either the Roady XT, or with an XM ready head unit coupled with the hide-away XM receiver.

XM is worth it for the ESPN and Comedy stations alone. Nothing like having a crummy day and getting 15 minutes of stand up to paste a smile back on my face before getting home.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:47 AM
gusher
Junior User
I bought xm 3 years ago, now I have xm in my escape and xm in my semi and the wife has xm in her car.

Quick Reply: Custom XM/Sirius Install