Custom XM/Sirius Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:16 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have XM radio factory installed in my 04 suburban and also have a second unit inside the house (XM Airware) When I lived in San Diego You could not have paid me to have XM because the amount and quality of music was and is great in my opinion. Here in the Temecula valley though we basically have 1 rock station and 1 country station. That being said I seldomly listen to it. My wife on the other hand loves it. She is a show tunes freak and a disney freak and you generally can not find those particular genres on regular radio. So My suggestion would be that if you are really into a particular kind of music ie: show tunes then Satellite radio might be for you. Otherwise I think the MP3 player idea is a great one.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a Mp3 would be good too, but I want the radio because that way I can hear about new artists. Were as with a Mp3 you have to have the songs already and load them into your player. I just thought this would be good to try out.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
newtuner
Senior User
So after running around this is the one I ended up buying.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1115038984993

I just finished openning the box so I still have to call in and setup my account. I will use the suction cup for now. I want to make some kind of custom bracket that comes out from behind the dash to mount this onto. I look and up here in canada they don't seem to have all the adapters you guys do.I might have to get it online. Hey 06inTempleCityCA with your setup how do you go between your sat and the regular HU do you use the Aux button? I have this button but it doesn't do anything.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
06inTempleCityCA
New User
Congrats...good choice...my connection between the units is through the FM modulator accessory that broadcasts through an FM station. I have the AUX button on mine too,but it doesn't do anything. I was told if I got the factory Sat unit it would utilize that button, but since I didn't get it at the time I bought the truck it would cost about $500 to install.Not worth it to me.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:05 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Thanks man, I can't believe how easy it was to install and to set up an account. It took me longer to run the cable for the ant to the unit (which was mounted on the windshield) then it was to install the rest of the stuff and set up the account. I was on the phone for like 3 min. I got the one year for now to see if I really like it. When I get some more free time I want to make my bracket and tap into the radio power. I can see myself forgetting to turn the unit off after shutting the truck off. I just have it running off the lighter socket right now. I'd get pictures but I'm sure you guys know what it looks like. Once I get the bracket made up I will post pics. On a side note this unit looks good in the truck as it matches with the interior colors. If only the display was green not blue it would have been made for these trucks.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Hey 06inTempleCityCA, Do you happen to have the part number for that adapter you bought at best buy? I think I will need to order it online. As canadian retailers suck for these things right now. I bought the second last one in the city. Every store I went to were sold out.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:27 PM
06inTempleCityCA
New User
Hope this helps, gave you part number in previous post. I don't have the part number of the one I am using but it is the same as the one I listed.

Originally Posted by 06inTempleCityCA
Yes still I still need the sat ant, but i placed it on the dash, just in front of that mostly useless six-pack holder on the dash. If you look hard you can see it in the pic. I have had no reception problems with it in that location. The Wired fm/modulation unit is a Sirius model no. 14110 and is $20 on-line. But I paid $30 in store and used the XM brand unit.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 PM
newtuner
Senior User
oh ok I didn't read that right. The Xm one will work with sirius?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
06inTempleCityCA
New User
Yes, I didn't know that until the guy at best buy told me. The ant. hook-up is the same on both XM and Sirius units.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:07 PM
newtuner
Senior User
One more quick question did you have to get an adapter for the ford ant? Or is the male end on the FM modulator the same as the ford one? I want to know if they will just plug and play, I don't want to have to order that after.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 AM
06inTempleCityCA
New User
No, you won't need an adapter, I was told GM, Chrysler and some imports need it, but not Ford.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:26 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Right on. I was trying to find a place in town but I can't find too much. Also all the sites that I found the adapter on don't seem to ship to canada. Anybody know a site that will ship to me in Canada.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Ok I finally found a site that will ship to canada. Big surprise it was the sirius store. ha ha. In the end it will be 30 bucks cnd with shipping. This will be great once I get it to hardwire everything in. 06inTemplecityCA I may have to bug you once I get it if I have any problems installing, but if the install of the unit itself was easy I can only imagine how easy this will be.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
newtuner
Senior User
Wow so only 6 days to get my fm modulator and that inclueds the weekend. I am impressed as this was shipped to canada. I guess all I need is a little free time and I can start to tear into my dash to install this. I will post pics of the final install and maybe a few of while I'm doing it.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
06inTempleCityCA
New User
Newtuner, great, looking forward to the pics.

Quick Reply: Custom XM/Sirius Install