Sponsored by: Moser

Brake job price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:32 PM
bootsman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake job price?

was wanting to no what it cost to replace the brakes all the way around a 1975 f250 4x4

Old 03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Price will vary. Check your local brake shops for estimates.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to guess:

If you do it.....Minimum $550.00 because you bought the parts wholesale

if a Brake shop does it: $850.00 because they supplied everything.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:53 PM
fordflaresides
Elder User
What kind of brake job? new rotors, drums, wheel bearings, pads, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, calipers, lines, master cylinder. or are you talking just pads, shoes and repacking the wheel bearings. Everything, you could expect to pay as much as $1000 at some shops. Standard brake job pads, shoes, repack bearings, resurface rotors & drums if neccessary I would expect to pay $350-$400, maybe a little more because their 3/4 Ton brakes

Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that all sounds kinda high to me... Just for brakes???

Mark

Old 03-12-2006, 11:56 AM
CrazyAirman
Elder User
Originally Posted by trinogt
Wow, that all sounds kinda high to me... Just for brakes???

Mark

I hear this EVERYDAY from customers...... and it irritates the snot outta me....

People will spend 5k on a thumping stereo, another 5k on dummass 24" wheels and tires, but freak out that a good brake job can and will cost more than 200 dollars.

Its the MOST CRITICAL system on your vehicle, why would anyone wanna go cheap? I'm not saying go the most expensive route, but find a reputable shop, get good parts, a good warranty, and you wont have to worry if those cheap offshore 8.00 pads are gonna self destruct in a panic stop....

Just my .02.............

Old 03-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Mark, I visit my friend in Red Deer once a week.

He is constantly doing brake jobs and opnly charges $75.00/hr labour.
He gets his parts at NAPA for the lifetime warranty for the customer.
The Total Brake job I did on the Lincoln back in June last year was $850.00 plus the rear axle seals & bearing rasied it to $1100.00 total.

They charge the equivalent price in the US it seems dollar for dollar.

What costs $850.00 cdn in Canada is the same in the states but in only usd.

The last time I did a complete brake job myself with ALL NEW raybestos parts was in 1995 and the parts cost about $400.00 cdn

Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
fearfactory
Senior User
I did the brakes on my 78 f250 4x4 and it cost me $520. Rotors,Drums,Calipers,Wheel cylinders,Pads&Shoes, and Master cylinder.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Man, 3/4 ton brakes must be real expensive... I've done my own brakes for 20 years, on all types of Fords and Nissans... If a brake job had ever cost me more than $200-300, I would have remembered...

Maybe I am real easy on my brakes? I don't recall ever having to replace any brake drums on my own cars, but I have on others' cars (at their expense).
Even my 540,000 km 78 F150 has it's factory drums on! (Yup, rotors too)

I regularly check my brakes and replace pads and shoes as needed. Oddball parts might be a wheel cylinder, a pair of calipers, rotors, etc. A master cylinder may go out one day, but not the same time as the pads or shoes.
New calipers for my '84 Lincoln were only $20 a piece, and I only replaced them because the pin bushings were rattling, but worked perfect.

I guess if you buy a vehicle that someone has driven until the brakes are grinding into the steel parts, and keep driving, you will likely get into some $$$ worth in parts.
I just did a complete rear brake job on a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ, and with new drums, brake cylinders, shoes, two pieces of steel brake line (that I custom bent to replace the old rusted ones), all new brake hardware with springs and self adjuster, the total bill for parts was still under $150... Front would not have added that much more to it.

Now, if you guys are talking about LABOR prices included, well, that's different. I spent a long time in R/R on the parts, freeing one MAJOR stuck drum, cleaning backing plates, prep work, and the cost of brake fluid and cleaning supplies. I am not a shop, so I only charged about 1/4 of regular labor cost (friend and family discount price! haha).

But I always endorse doing your own work. You wanna talk about stereo systems? I have built huge systems on an extremely small budget, and beaten some major sound systems, starting in 1986. I not only built my own subwoofer enclosures, I also designed them and tuned them for frequency response.

Bottom line, if you don't wanna get your hands dirty, then prepare to shell out some money to have others do your work. Then you can't really complain. Because I haven't let a brake shop touch my cars for so long, I guess I am completely out of the loop as far as what labour prices are. I do have a garage software program, which totals parts prices (tied into a current online parts supplier source), and calculates labor based on $ per hour (it's default is $75) and calculates estimates using 0.9 hours, 2.6 hours, 0.6 hours, etc., just to give me an idea of what stuff is being charged at. (in case anyone thinks 'my' prices are too high! lol Not likely)

My work has also been inspected by certified mechanics when required, and always passes. I will not do a half-**** job and let someone drive away with their vehicle.

Get out your shop manuals, torque wrenches, and work clothes! Or, find a shadetree like myself that you trust to do the work.

Mark

Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I did the front brakes only on a 91 Explorer last year. I replaced everything; rotors, calipers, seals, bearings, hoses, pads, and it ran ~$250. The neighborhood Firestone wanted $700 just for rotors, pads, & calipers. It would have gone higher when they replaced the hoses etc. I figure I saved at least $500. There is a little knowledge required to do it right tho. Since it is a safety issue, if you don't know how, -pay the $$ and have it done by a pro or knowledgeable semi-pro.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
I change brakes daily at the shop i work at, sometimes people want the whole system replaced (minus lines), but most people just want the pads done and the rotors/drums turned or replaced....i guess we are ripping ourselves off cause we charge $55 for changing front or rear disks, $65 for front or rear drums, $75 front or back on 3/4 and 1 ton's and $20 for bleeding (if needed) ...that is including R/R of rotors or drums, wire-wheeling all the caliper/pad slides, greasing the slides and putting it all back together...we order the parts when the customer is ready, for a $10 service charge we will take the rotors to be turned....so i guess we would charge $150 plus parts and turning fee.....i still thinking we are killing ourselves with these rates, while big name companies are staying fat raping people.....$800 bucks is murder IMHO, but i know people that have paid it more than once....shop around, you can find lower rates, but be wary if it sounds like TOO good of a deal.....

Old 03-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Mark, the last line in Post #7 was referencing The brake job I did myself which I replaced everything including the 2 front and rear hoses, all brake hardware,etc.

I replaced everything because the truck hadn't been used for a long time and parts were rusted from being so old.

Everything up to that last sentence explained what I had to pay my friend at his lower labour rate which compared to any shop like his in the US would also charge in US Funds.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
So Dennis: You paid $400 for parts for that car... I guess that was rotors front and back (if you had rear discs like my Linc), 4 calipers, two sets of pads (or a set of shoes, plus maybe drums, hardware, lines), and what else?
If you give me a list of what you did, I will try to give you a total of parts cost. I shop around for the best deals, and only get lifetime warranty on certain parts.
If I were charging $85-$100 per hour for my work, like the big shops, I can see the price rising FAST...

Mark

Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Mil1ion
New User
No that $400.00 was for the truck...11 years ago.

Parts were Raybestos,Wagner,etc

Master Cylinder, Rotors,Calipers,BearingsSeals,Hoses,Dust Caps for the front.

Drums,Shoes,Wheel cylinders,Hold down kits,Emergency brake hardware,Hoses,

2 cans Brake Cleaner, 1 Litre Brake Fluid,WB Grease,etc.

I usually got my parts from Uni-Select or CPD.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 03-13-2006 at 11:47 AM.