General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Home Owner's Association story.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Owner's Association story.

No posting signs.

http://www.tampatrib.com/MGBY9HYLKKE.html

Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM
70blue
Postmaster
Another good reason not to live in subdivisions. Home owners associations are getting too much power.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM
94_turbo
Senior User
isnt that wonderful--guy thats head of the association served--but puts the association above the armed serves--what in h does he think keeps this country free--it aint the puke association---sheesh

Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone want to take up a collection to help pay the $100 a day fine?

I don't see the president of the HOA as the problem. He was elected to be sure the rules are enforced. Not to decide if he agrees with them. He also make the point that to be applied or ignored fairly, then he would have to also ignore a sign put up that might be non-supportive of the troops/war (ever hear of Fred Phelps? Try google). Should the HOA decide to change the rules, it sounded like he was willing to support that too.

The thing is that when you start writing rules for how you want your neighbor to behave on his property, you get into these situations. Everyone agrees that this rule is stupid in this case. But if someone put an offensive sign up about the troops just about everyone would not think the rule was stupid. So how do you write the rules. Only signs that are not offensive to you are allowed? Are you ready to be sued by the people that want to put up a sign you don't like? Maybe set up a comittee to approve signs before they are posted? Might work. I wouldn't want to be on the comittee.

These things are just too much trouble. Actually, I don't think the HOAs are the problem. The problem is the developers that create communities with housing lots so small you can spit out your window and soil your neighbors house. People living that close together need 'rules of engagement'.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Right, the prez of the HOA isn't the problem. In fact, if you decide to live there and accept the rules then there is no problem. If you don't like the rules, then: 1. don't buy there in the first place or 2. change them or 3. pay the fines or just live by them and stop whining.

It's not fair to expect any authority of a HOA to decide what's a "good" sign and what isn't - that's asking for trouble. Once you start evaluating the content (like is someone putting the association ahead of the armed services?) you're just preaching your own preferences to people who most likely don't want to hear them. You gotta allow them all or allow none, that's the olny way it'll work...

Old 03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Don'tcha just love it when folks agree to abide by the rules then decide exceptions should be made for them personally? Here's your sign! No, wait, can't do that...

Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not a big fan of HOA's but the rule is plainly stated and valid. If she needs a sign in front of her house to stay "connected" to her husband then her problem may not be with the HOA.
Dono

Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
rbohm
Senior User
you know, if she made the sign as part of her flag pole, then there is no way anyone could make her take the sign down, or fine her.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Ever see a truck eternally parked in front of a business with a big sign advertising the business? That's what they're doing - probably they couldn't get a sign permit, but there's no law against parking a vehicle there, so...

Old 03-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Oh well. The missile crisis didn't do the job. And they took the wall apart and sold it as souvenirs.

But wait - we can buy their real estate and introduce Lenin that way...

Comrades! Communism has still a chance to succeed!!!"

Sure. Right.

Try burning that sign and watch the reaction...

Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They interviewed her on the radio this afternoon. Supposedly, there will be a vote taken at tonight's meeting. She will be allowed to speak at the meeting. I hope it goes well for her. I specifically did not buy a house with an active HOA for this reason. I think HOA's are fine for those that want them, but count me out.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a fine example of why folks should actually read what they're signing.

A sign stating "Support Our Troops" is still just a sign. If a person wants to go further than that they are stating an opinion. Supporting our troops has become a political issue now and will remain that way until this administration is out of office. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

What does "Support Our Troops" mean? To me it means don't spit in their face when they get home. It means don't stick a political emblem on them for doing what they are told to do. It means letting them feel like they are appreciated - not for fighting a war nobody wants, but for having the guts to stand up for this nation...good, bad, or indifferent.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Someone beat me to it, I was going to say run the idea up the flag pole.