Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gauge Sensors...where to put???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gauge Sensors...where to put???

Ok i just got my 4 gauges in and its time to install em. I know where to put the boost and pyro but i dont know the 7.3 to well so i dont know where to put fitting for the oil pressure and i dont know where to stick the sensor for the water temp. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Fordbronco69; 02-17-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a square drive plug on the body of the water pump you can use. I used that port for my coolant filter installation, which you can see (click here).

There is a similar port on the oil filter head, but it's my understanding that location may not be the most accurate. It's better to tap the High pressure oil reservoir for the most accurate oil pressure reading.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Where on the HPOP should i tap into it? More importantly where is the HPOP? :O

Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
HPOP would work

I believe the HPOP would be the place to put the tubing for the oil pressure guage, but not absolutely sure. Where would I find this or possibly another place to tap into? I see the place for the water temp guage, but was wondering if there were any other options for both the oil and water temp? Thanks, Dave

Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where Cookie said - that's where I have the senders for my water temp, and oil pressure gauges. The HPOP is directly under the plastic decorative engine cover that says "Powerstroke" on it. You would want to tap the lid of the HPOP reservior (rectanguar box looking thing) for the oil pressure.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

So...take this lid off and drill/tap??? THATS IT??? Is there a gasket i have to replace?

Old 03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Yea that's what I did. It's been a while - but I'm pretty sure that there was an o-ring seal around the top of the lid - but nothing that needed to be replaced as far as a gasket. And when you go to take it off - the bolts that hold in on are LONG - and go through the lid, AND the reservior - just carefully lift the lid off and don't move the whole thing - as I THINK that the whole thing is loose when the bolts through the lid are off.

There is a plug in the top of the HPOP (allen head) - I took that out, drilled and tapped it for 1/4" NPT (and used a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer that came in the gauge pack) - because the rest of the lid was pretty thin looking - but that area is thicker around that thread bung. I'm not sure what other guys have done - but that's how I did mine.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
On the HPOP can't you just remove the allen plug and run a fitting in there?

Old 03-03-2006, 10:31 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
That factory plug is a straight thread, and sealed with an o-ring - so you can't just take it out and thread NPT in - but I drilled my plug and tapped it. I guess if you could find out what the size is of that plug - maybe you could round up an adapter that would fit the stock plug, that would have 1/8" NPT that you need for the sender??

Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Sounds like i can hack it. Im supposed to be off work and just thinking about putting $20 of brass fittings just to install a gauge makes me wanna go clock in for work. I just found the tech articles on black cloud diesel for the HPOP...and other goodies. Check it out!

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Tech/index

Thanks for the replies Cat and Kwik

Last edited by Fordbronco69; 03-03-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Pony Power
Senior User
Seems to me that somebody on here or "the other site" said that there is an adapter fitting for that port on the top of the HPOP but can't remember where to get it at. Maybe a hydraulic shop?
I used the plug on the top of my oil filter, maybe not perfect but it shows 55 or so on cold start up and hot oil idle of 35 or so. I'm happy with that, I at least know that there really is pressure.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:33 AM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Well...got my gauges installed today and i love the look. Only problem is my boost gauge.....reads 0 most of the time then hits 5-7 when i hammer it, took the gauge out to find the plastic clear line was kinked. Thought i fixed it but guess not, the inside of the gauge pod is to close to the fitting which is kinda disapointing because i have to take the whole thing out to stick a 45* brass fiting just to make it work.

I tried to take that plate off the HPOP resevoir but two of the hex bolts would hit the outer rim of the fuel bowl housing which prevented me from useing that for my sensor, so i went off the oil filter housing. Get 50psi cold and holds steady at 20psi warm. I dont know what a 7.3 needs for oil pressure but i know a cumming is happy at 10psi so i thought i shouldnt worry to much.

It was a smooth install and was supprised how short it took me, i was so irate that T & J Diesel off ebay sent me an exhaust kit for a 2003-2005 6.0l that i worked really fast at the gauges.

My EGT's hit 800*(empty) at 65mph which eases my mind a whole lot. Havnt got to pull anything yet.

And now i have a problem.....
When i took the dash panel off to get to the light switch for the gauges, i think i disconected somthing for the passenger air bag cuz my air bag light is on the dash. Before i installed the gauges when i would start my truck the OFF light above the key switch for the air bag would stay light. Now i got noting, hense the light on the dash. What do you guys think?

All in all, it was worth it! WHoOT!!