1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Unplugged the waste gate, much better boost!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unplugged the waste gate, much better boost!

I've been meaning to do it for a while, I finally popped the hood today and unplugged the red line to the waste gate. I had been getting a max boost of about 18 psi, now I easily get 24 and I didn't really give it a good test.

One waste gate mod $0
my 2 year old son in the back giggling like crazy, priceless!

Old 02-15-2006, 07:58 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Mike not work quite so well if you have a load. Bit more responsive with gate unplugged.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
kilapapipa
Senior User
Watch your fuel economy, mine went down 1-1.5 so I hooked it back up. Extra boost wasn't worth the loss in mpg for me.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will lose some MPG, but if you keep your foot out of it, it will help keep it in check. When the truck sees more boost (by unplugging the wastegate), it gives it more fuel, thus less mileage. If you watch your boost and try to keep it under 18psi or so, your fuel mileage shouldn't suffer much, since you're not putting any more boost through it than stock. I like to have the extra boost and power available to me, if I need it. Just a personal opinion though.

On another note, running that much boost, you'll probably set off an SES light for an over boost condition, which happens at 24 psi on mine, but can range from 22-24 psi depending on the truck. You might want to look into getting a MAP line regulator to keep the boost numbers that the MAP sensor see's in check. Look into my gallery and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, given your mods, you'll probably easily be able to push 25+ psi of boost. With my Predator I used to have, intake, and exhaust like yours, I could see 30+ psi, and it actually hit 35 psi once. Try to keep it under 25 psi with that stock turbo. Anything over that creates a lot of backpressure on the exhaust side of the engine, trying to force out the exhaust through the turbo. That's a quick recipie for disaster.

I'm sure you probably know most of that, but I'm always looking out for my fellow PSD owners here on FTE.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jtharvey
You will lose some MPG, but if you keep your foot out of it, it will help keep it in check. When the truck sees more boost (by unplugging the wastegate), it gives it more fuel, thus less mileage. If you watch your boost and try to keep it under 18psi or so, your fuel mileage shouldn't suffer much, since you're not putting any more boost through it than stock. I like to have the extra boost and power available to me, if I need it. Just a personal opinion though.

On another note, running that much boost, you'll probably set off an SES light for an over boost condition, which happens at 24 psi on mine, but can range from 22-24 psi depending on the truck. You might want to look into getting a MAP line regulator to keep the boost numbers that the MAP sensor see's in check. Look into my gallery and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, given your mods, you'll probably easily be able to push 25+ psi of boost. With my Predator I used to have, intake, and exhaust like yours, I could see 30+ psi, and it actually hit 35 psi once. Try to keep it under 25 psi with that stock turbo. Anything over that creates a lot of backpressure on the exhaust side of the engine, trying to force out the exhaust through the turbo. That's a quick recipie for disaster.

I'm sure you probably know most of that, but I'm always looking out for my fellow PSD owners here on FTE.
Thanks for all the advice. I would expect to get lower mpg when I have my foot in it. Sometimes it's worth a bit of fuel just for the grins. I will be doing a bunch of long distance towing soon so I will be able see what the mods have done. I have a dual relief valve in MAP line, so shouldn't trip SES. Don't plan to push it too much. I don't want a race truck, but it's nice to have the power if you need it. I had a little race with a kid this afternoon at a light, I smoked him! Didn't really want to race, I had to get over to exit and he thought he would mess with me. Anyway, I plan to own my truck for a long time and treat it well. I don't push it too hard. Thanks again for the advice, I've learned a lot here in the past year!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
You going to be ordering a chip from Jody soon? Compared to the Predator I used to have, it's got more power and lower EGT's. Less smoke too. Maybe I'll even see some MPG increase -- but it will be hard since my right foot weighs so much.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
You going to be ordering a chip from Jody soon? Compared to the Predator I used to have, it's got more power and lower EGT's. Less smoke too. Maybe I'll even see some MPG increase -- but it will be hard since my right foot weighs so much.
How much cooler on the EGT's? Also, I see you have upgraded valve body. I've heard Jody really prefers this over Sonnax kit. I just did the Sonnax and don't really want to change the valve body right now. Can I get by without?

Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hink10
How much cooler on the EGT's? Also, I see you have upgraded valve body. I've heard Jody really prefers this over Sonnax kit. I just did the Sonnax and don't really want to change the valve body right now. Can I get by without?
I would say the EGT's dropped anywhere from 100-200 degrees. Even on the 120 hp setting, I couldn't get it to hit much over 800* post turbo. It was about 30* outside too though, and I'm sure that helps. But Jody did assure me that the EGTs should be lower. I'll know for sure over the summer when I'm towing the trailer to and from the races. That's where I spend most of my time in my PSD. I could get really close, and sometime over 900* post turbo in the heat of the summer while towing a trailer, on the tow tune with the Predator.

My valve body has been changed to a BTS valve body, which is what Jody prefers. I ditched my Sonnax kit in favor of it, and I'm very pleased with how it performs compared to the Sonnax. You should be ok with the Sonnax, but the BTS body was just under $250 and a breeze to put in. I did budget for the BTS valve body with the chip though. Plus, you can adjust the BTS to shift firmer or softer for each shift individually if you want.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I would say the EGT's dropped anywhere from 100-200 degrees. Even on the 120 hp setting, I couldn't get it to hit much over 800* post turbo. It was about 30* outside too though, and I'm sure that helps. But Jody did assure me that the EGTs should be lower. I'll know for sure over the summer when I'm towing the trailer to and from the races. That's where I spend most of my time in my PSD. I could get really close, and sometime over 900* post turbo in the heat of the summer while towing a trailer, on the tow tune with the Predator.

My valve body has been changed to a BTS valve body, which is what Jody prefers. I ditched my Sonnax kit in favor of it, and I'm very pleased with how it performs compared to the Sonnax. You should be ok with the Sonnax, but the BTS body was just under $250 and a breeze to put in. I did budget for the BTS valve body with the chip though. Plus, you can adjust the BTS to shift firmer or softer for each shift individually if you want.
Thanks, I'll probably upgrade valve body down the road. I've done a bunch recently so the wallet's getting a bit thin.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:26 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Thanks, I'll probably upgrade valve body down the road. I've done a bunch recently so the wallet's getting a bit thin.
I feel you on that one.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Couple more things, did you get the standard DP tunes, or did you go custom? Also, where do I get some more info on the BTS valve body? Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Couple more things, did you get the standard DP tunes, or did you go custom? Also, where do I get some more info on the BTS valve body? Thanks again.
I think they're pretty standard tunes. I have Stock, 40tow, 80econ, 100, 120, & high idle. But, Jody ask a bunch of questions about what mods I have, so he may have burned something a little different. Once I get bigger injectors and fuel pump, I'll have him re-burn me something custom.

Go to www.brianstruckshop.com for more info about BTS. His website is pretty basic, but if you call him he's super friendly to talk to and very helpful.

JT

Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I think they're pretty standard tunes. I have Stock, 40tow, 80econ, 100, 120, & high idle. But, Jody ask a bunch of questions about what mods I have, so he may have burned something a little different. Once I get bigger injectors and fuel pump, I'll have him re-burn me something custom.

Go to www.brianstruckshop.com for more info about BTS. His website is pretty basic, but if you call him he's super friendly to talk to and very helpful.

JT
Perfect, thanks!