Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Woooohoooooo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:38 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 307 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by BFR250SD
Sorry Krewat, had too. I have no tolerance for ignorant folks that think that their way is the only way.
Oh crap, you just blew the lid off any discussion about cars, trucks, women, men, politics or law

No matter Rich, I put on my flame-retardant suit on this site a few days ago - still haven't taken it off

art k.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:51 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hay art i was willing to take mine off for rich . my top fuel suit that is,
4wd sorry you feel that a tubo would blow the head gaskets and bolts, if thats so how can our guys with blowers not have any problems? it can handle 7 pounds no problem.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Bagger
Elder User
Quoted from above -calculated it out to be 13.14... The second tank I romped on the truck a lot more. Computer said 12.8, calculated at 12.775.

That is one of my favorite things about the V10. To play hard it does not cost that much more fuel. Just about every other car, truck of bike I have had when you got into the throttle you paid the price (even my 300 six).

Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
4wd
Elder User
Smile Hey Capt

"it can handle 7 pounds no problem."

That's good to know. I won't ask you how you regulate turbo boost pressures to 7lb max. I believe you should let Ford know there is a real cheap way to up rate the horsepower on their 3 valve V-10 without affecting reliability or longevity. I'm sure they know something about turbochargers and variable vanes and waste gates, and would love to offer a cheap hp boost option.

My experience with other motors with cast iron heads (John Deere tractors) if you bolt on a turbo for a cheap performance gain, hang on to your wallet. The turbo package is the cheapest of your future problems. Maybe the al. V-10 heads react differently to higher combustion temps and pressures. I sure have no desire to find out.

Have a good Friday Capt!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Bagger
Elder User
Talking

From some of the headgasket, turbo issue posts on the PSD forum ford does not know as much as you might think they do

Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by 4wd
"it can handle 7 pounds no problem."

That's good to know. I won't ask you how you regulate turbo boost pressures to 7lb max.
Uh, blow-by valve? Bypass valve? Whatever the heck they call it.

Pretty easy - and if your turbo/SC'd vehicle doesn't have one, well, more power to ya! (pun intended).

Old 02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, the waste gate, the one that you can tune to release at the desired pressures, so it doesn't blow your heads off.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
You know, the waste gate, the one that you can tune to release at the desired pressures, so it doesn't blow your heads off.
WASTE GATE! That's the one!

Sheesh, CRS is getting worse

Old 02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's okay, what until Oldtimers, err Alzheimers starts kicking in.

I heard it gets worst with repeated exposure to diesel fumes.

Last edited by BFR250SD; 02-17-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
That's okay, what until Oldtimers, err Alzheimers starts kicking in.

I heard it gets worst with repeated exposure to diesel fumes.
Hmmm... I DID spill some kero the other day in the garage, got it on my boots, and then got into the SD to get some beer

Now my truck smells like a diesel INSIDE.

Thankfully I have a Hoover rug cleaner

Old 02-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
4wd

Not sure where you got all the 'tude against supercharging a motor but a lot of your fears of damage are entirely controllable. Super chargers to increase the intake charge using a air pump mechanically or exhaust driven can be easily adapted to any internal combustion motor with zero negative problems.

Where do you get the bolt stretch notion?

These Ford modular motors are raced all the time with boost well over 12 PSI and some much higher with very little modification to the original motor design or hardware.

I imagine the mechanic that is able to effectively adapt a serious puffer to one of these motors is savvy enough to use quality fasteners and not re-use the torque to yield bolts on the final build.

Check out Roush Racing for their blower for the F150 and the 3 year 36,000 warranty they offer.

The only two problems you face with a supercharger is effective tuning and strengthening the rest of the power train to handle the additional Torque

Careful though... a supercharger on a 3v V10 may just cause permanent BSEG syndrome and only occasional huffs on the NO2 bottle may relieve the symptoms.

Me.... supermodify the 3v V10? Naw...no compelling reason, it is plenty strong out of the box.

But I do have a v 10 powered T-Bucket plan in the works that may just have to have a big chrome plated blower on top simply for the cool factor of the look. Yes Virginia if I do put a roots on her it will be a 4 inch gimler drive!

Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
... and not re-use the torque to yield bolts on the final build.
Choke... Snort... COUGH COUGH cough! I just choked on my beer

Old 02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
4wd
Elder User
Smile Well Fred

"Super chargers to increase the intake charge using a air pump mechanically or exhaust driven can be easily adapted to any internal combustion motor with zero negative problems"

The "easily adapted to any internal combustion motor" I won't argue with if you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools.

It is the "zero negative problems" part of your statement that I can't swallow, and if you really believe that then there is really nothing more for me to say.

As far as Roush's 36mo/36kmi is that for just for the portion of his retro kit that he mfg's, or is that including all the purchased items included in his blower kit too? You can't believe he would warranty consequencial damages from his kit.

Have you ever heard of M&W turbo charger kits marketed in the '70's to retro on farm diesel tractors? I had some experience with them. Like I said before the cost of the turbo kit was the least of the costs experienced after installation and putting it to work.

I guess one of us is in the twilight zone..And Nitrous oxide?? That ought to be a standard issue item with the blower. Make things happen a whole lot quicker!

Good Luck with your hot rod! Maybe you can post up a few picts when done.

Last edited by 4wd; 02-17-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! This thread has taken a couple of major off-topic detours!

Congrats on the new truck Cheesy.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
captchas
way back then even a vw 1.6 diesel would blow head gaskets left and right from a turbo kit. but now adays things are a lot different . look at how many ford v6 and v8 are out there with factory super chargers . and other brands with turbos. control the boost you control the motor. skipper w has a whipple kit on his v10 with out any problems any where and a few guys with the other brand "sorry brain fart on the name" again they say no problems ,
for the 3 valve whipple almost has the kit ready to go on sale this year.

Quick Reply: Woooohoooooo!!!!!