1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks FIXED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
mrpurdum
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vettdvr don't worry its only against the law to deface and devaluate money. If you change it to make it worth more thats ok. (like machines that press pennys at tourist sites. The penny is now worth 50 cents) Sounds like you changed a penny in to 42 bucks good return on you money. Great site thanks guys.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
wgarretson
New User
This fix rocks!

We just fixed my dad's 2001 F-250 door locks. We used the aluminum foil trick and it works great. We did it slightly different. We were careful when drilling out the tops of the mushroom plactic studs. That leaves enough of the post so when you put it back together, you can take a soldering iron and melt the post to the surroudning plastic. We pop riveted the two holes with the original pop rivets and it holds strong. One other little trick we used is when putting the motor back together, we cut a piece of thin poster board about 5/16" thick and spread the brushes apart, then slid the motor together and then pulled out the poster board. Door locks work great, spend $0 and took about 2 hours on the first door and one hour (after learning our lessons on the first door) to finish the second door.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
drwiser
New User
Since I just bought my F350, I have learned my door locks also fail as did those discussed here. So tomorrow, I will do this fix as well. Now I normally have a hammer, screwdriver and cresent wrench among my most important (and only) tools so this should be fun.

Doug

Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM
ZPICKT
New User
Originally Posted by ssjrsw
Thanks for the great info, this really works well! I took mine apart today and now they work like new. Here are some pics to help out with the fix, the are resized for dial-up (hey get high speed, I am in a third world country and have it!). I put this back a little different. I used that plastic epoxy stuff around the edges, I held the two halves together with vice grips until it was hard.

Pic one is the unit after the two rivits were removed

Prying the unit apart

The open unit minus the motor

Prying the two tabs open on the motor

The opened motor the little metal piece to wrap in tin foil is on the left side of the cap

Now the motor getting ready to be put back together the part is wraped in foil on the right side in this pic.

Hope this helps
Scott
Can you send the pics of where the foil goes.. I took my locks apart and didn't see where to put it. I have a 2001 Excursion and i might be just overlooking the part. thank you

Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remove the small piece of metal in the end cap and wrap and replace. Good Luck.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:18 PM
ssjrsw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have other pics so I will show you with this one. Just remember to put the caps back on the same way they came off. If not you will have door locks that work backward like mine!

Name:  Picture006a.jpg
Views: 4200
Size:  21.4 KB

BTW I love the idea of tie straps to hold these together, wish I had thought of that myself.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
zx250
Originally Posted by ssjrsw
I do not have other pics so I will show you with this one. Just remember to put the caps back on the same way they came off. If not you will have door locks that work backward like mine!

BTW I love the idea of tie straps to hold these together, wish I had thought of that myself.
Thanks, That's one of the pics I thought I had posted. Guess I didn't give it enough time to upload.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
ZPICKT
New User
hey thanks the computer that i was on earlier wouldn't show the pictures but my one at home does. I guess my computer at work has a pretty tough firewall or something. thank you everyone for your help.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 PM
zx250
No problem, The pics I posted didn't load right. Glad ssjrsw was around to get it right. Welcome to FTE and you will find tons of knowledge and resources here.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:35 PM
drwiser
New User
Red face

Well, I got the door panel off easily enough.

Got the three torx screws off too.

Got the outside door handle off.

Got the linkage unhooked.

Sounds OK so far, right?

But I just can't seem to get the electrical connection to come off.

How does this come off? Is it all a feel thing or can we actually see what we are doing?

Doug

Old 09-20-2006, 08:12 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a clip on each connector that has to be removed. you will have to look for them.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
drwiser
New User
Thanks. It seems that it is a lift up clip from the pictures I just studied.

So tomorrow, I give this another go.

The pictures are very helpful as well.

Doug

Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 PM
straightsixes
New User
Thanks to all who kept posting on this topic. If just one or two had said they did it, I would have just figured it was too hard for me to do. Its pretty simple, even after I did everything wrong, it still only took a couple of hours to do passenger side front and rear doors of my CC f350. Actually I took my passenger rear one on and off 4 times, because I had the plastic cap on backwards first, and then after testing the button a zillion times my motor was getting weak. Of course I didn't know it until it was too late...

My tips... If you don't have to take the actuator all the way off and onto your table... don't. I just did it while the wiring was hanging out through the interior door panel opening. Just remember to use all the holes available to observe what you are doing in the panel, when putting rods/wiring/screws/bolts in place.

Like others... I didn't open the metal rivets, but just popped open the plastics ones near the actuator motor. The hardest part for me was getting the small white gear that contacts the actual motor gear in its place. For me it was best to have the black gear, and this white gear (that likes to flop around inside) in place first. Then place the motor in its place with the teeth lined up. Close cover and place a zip tie around the cover near the motor.

The first door is the worst door. Everything else is downhill from there.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM
drwiser
New User
Wink

Thanks for the added assurance that this really can be done and that it takes persistance and a bit more time than I was willing to give it at first.

As for trying again today, I didn't. I will tomorrow.

Today, well I had to change lug nuts of all things. Why? Because I bought stock aluminum wheels to replace my ugly steel wheels. The steel wheels come with gigantic lug nuts that make putting on the center caps impossible unless they are replaced. Wheel Warehouse, in Anaheim, got me the smaller lug nuts and even put them on for me (They clearly saw that I was too old and apparently too frail for such a job) and sure enough, the center caps went on with no sweat. Both of them did. Now, I just "won" a third on Ebay and a fourth is coming up tomorrow.

Customizing a 1990 to look stock. Bet no one else ever has gone to so much trouble to do that!

Doug

Old 09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
danwalker20
Freshman User
that is a great idea. I'm going to do it this weekend

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks FIXED!!!!