General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone working on christmas day?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, you boys (and girls) on duty overseas take it easy if you're working Christmas, or any day for that matter. Don't receive any copper-jacketed gifts, ok? But you're free to give out all that you want if you need to. My hats off to you folks and many thanks for your service.

Jason

Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Oh yeah, it burns my butthairs when I rent a movie a few ww days before Christmas and they say it's due back the 25th, I can't believe movie rental stores are open on Christmas day! I fuel up my truck the day before and on Christmas day I do not do any business, I feel if I do then I made someone else work and that just ain't right, to me anyway!

But then I chose to work that day so that the guy who is working can be home with his wife and 3 year old twins, but I will get paid VERY WELL and it doesn't effect any of my family get togethers.

There is a downside to 24/7 staffing, and holidays is where it shows.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 AM
stealth1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, A big thank-you to the troops who would give anything to home for Christmas. I myself am working 6-6 shiftwork. I guess after 7 years I'm used to working the holidays. No little ones at home helps. It would be hard if I did.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 AM
david.brady
Elder User
Yep, I'll be working Holidays for the next year, but I'm doing it so I can enjoy the years to come with my family. Just another day.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdhunter1
Where I work there is someone leaving the week before Christmas and we are a 24/7 office. I am going from a midnight shift to a evening shift and the way it works out is I am actually off from Thursday (22nd) at 7 am and don't have to come back till Tuesday at 3 pm. Tuesday evening is when my dad's side of the family is getting together so I switched Tuesday night for Christmas day (7 am to 3pm). I switched so I coudl work Christmas last year too. WHY? I am the only one here who doesn't have kids, my mom's side of the family get together Christmas afternoon and my mom, dad, sister and her family and I get together on Christmas Eve, so to work Christmas day will not hurt any of my family plans.

Before I took this job the only thing I did on Christmas day was sleep in till about 8 am, then dad and I woudl go and run the dogs a few hours looking for quail on the farm then mom's family would start showing up and we'd celebrate. Yeah I'm gonna miss a morning hunt with dad, but we go practically every weekend anyway!

I'd rather be known as the guy who volunteers to work Christmas so that the dad's here can be home with their kids. Oh yeah, the guy who was scheduled to work Christmas day this year has two 3-year old twin boys, I'd liek to see him at home instead of here. Plus he is one of thoseguys that if I wanted to take a day off he was almost always ready and wiling to cover my shift or split it with someone else, people like that I like to work with and don't mind doing them a favor now and then!
Bird. . . . That is VERY commendable!! You are one 'Stand Up Guy' in my book.
I tip my hat and raise my coffee cup to ya!
I hope that when you have a family, that your co-workers remember you; who you are, and what you have done for them.

Keith

Old 12-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks 00BlueRanger

With the folks that are left here we should be just fine and all have a good working relationship!

Old 12-21-2005, 02:11 AM
ericsmith32
Elder User
I have to work but it's time and a half so I don't mind. Also the better half's asian and they don't celebrate christmas so she doesn't mind either. Besides all my family does is bicker and I won't miss that one bit.