Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   Anyone working on christmas day? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/440796-anyone-working-on-christmas-day.html)

SuperBlue 12-18-2005 09:00 AM

Anyone working on christmas day?

Lucky me, I get to work on christmas day instead of watching my 5 year old daughter open gifts. x(

And even more good luck, I get to work on New Years day, but I have New Years Eve off, I suspect I will be damaged goods that day at work. :-X13

Anybody else going to enjoy the holiday like me?

Cheers!

mjwhip2 12-18-2005 10:41 AM

In the same boat. Christmas day 6am-4pm. Same shift on New Years Day.
2 boys at home (3yo and 6yo) aren't going to be very happy with dad this year. We are going to do most of the gift giving Christmas eve. Maybe wake em up before I head out so they can open Santas gifts.

1997F-350 12-18-2005 10:43 AM

yeah i hear ya...

had to work thanksgiving
x-mas i work 1400-2200 and new years eve...
got a 2.5 yo son were just gonna do the presents in the morning before i go to work..

Zane M 12-18-2005 10:44 AM

I'm not scheduled to work Christmas, but if it snows I will be.

bigdaddyII 12-18-2005 12:10 PM

I had the pleasure of working on Thanksgiving, as far as Christmas, I dont know yet. I work on an on call basis around the clock, and my jobs come up at the last minute. The good thing about working on holidays is that I get holiday pay and like the rest of my jobs probably wont last but 2 or 3 hours, so it isnt too bad I guess.

MadMedic20 12-18-2005 12:18 PM

Yep a 24hr shift on Christmas eve. Get off Christmas morning. I have to work new years eve and day, :-(

SuperBlue 12-18-2005 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I work on an on call basis around the clock, and my jobs come up at the last minute.

That's kinda rough, no holiday nog for you. I work 13 hour shifts, but I can have a stiff one after work and on my days off.

bigdaddyII 12-18-2005 12:29 PM

My boss and I was working on his truck the other day and we drank a couple cold ones, but before that it was almost a year since I was able to suck on some suds. I can turn jobs down for such reasons but if I dont work than I dont make money, and I would hate to not make any money cause I want to drink instead.

00BlueOvalRanger 12-18-2005 01:47 PM

Nah. I have off the 23rd, 24th, 25th and the 26th. . . . the 30th, 31st, Jan. 1st and 2nd. (30th is a vacation day.)

IF I had to work any of those days (except the 30th), it'd be at triple time. (1x straight time, and 2x for holiday pay.)

Only one time in almost 32 years have I had to work a holiday was Labor Day, 1982.
Talking about working while on the BIG clock!:-D Tick, tick, tick.

I'm truly sorry to hear that anyone has to work on Christmas. This is a time to be with family.

Keith

cowboywanabe 12-18-2005 02:04 PM

Hat's off to all you guys that have to work on Christmas... Hospitals, police, fire, emt, military, etc. those businesses never close...

My wife has to work this year (she's an RN). She likes the holiday OT pay, but it's tough when you have small kids.

Aftrmidnite 12-18-2005 03:01 PM

This will be the first holiday season since as far back as I can remember that I have all the holidays off. I'm off from the 23rd to the 3rd, with regular pay. I am on unoffical call, but doubt I'll have anything. Can remember sitting at a console, twelve hours plus, for many a years on Christmas and New Years.

jroehl 12-18-2005 06:04 PM

I'm self-employed, so if I have to work on Christmas, I'm gonna be really ticked at my boss. :-D

Right now, I'm looking at maybe a week to week and a half off. Back to the grind on the 2nd, though. I may end up doing some work anyway. Sitting at home for a week just makes me want to do more of it...

Jason

JD717 12-18-2005 06:38 PM

If I work christmas eve, or morning, I'm gonna be REALLLY mad with the boss. the boss would be me as well. same for newyears.

stu37d 12-18-2005 07:25 PM

This will be the first Christmas in a few years that I didn't have to worry about having duty on the holiday. Glad I'm not deployed... overseas... thankfully, those days are gone for me.

preppypyro 12-18-2005 08:05 PM

I am off for christmas and a few days after, but personally, I would rather be working the whole way through, making extra money.