Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Rich!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
redbeep
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Rich!

I bought a 93 F-150, 5.0L, 4x4 about 5 months ago. After getting better aquaited with the truck, I started to notice a fuel odor. The truck starts up immediately as soon as I turn the key...when I first start the truck in the morning...but if I come out a few hours later, it grinds 4-5 times and then will start, but the odor of gas is present. I have also not been getting as good a gas mileage as when I first got the truck. I have put two Tornados into the air hose and am running a K&N in the air box...Does anybody have any ideas why it is running so rich? Thanx

Old 12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you link the wrong post? That goes to a throttle spacer thread...

First off - you know those tornado things are worthless, right? I'd take em' out if I were you (or atleast don't tell anyone ya got one! lol).

First thing to do is check your computer codes. You can use the search function (link above) and do a search in this particular forum for "computer codes" or "checking computer codes" (or combos of that) and find previous topics about how to do it. Check your KOEO, Continuous Memory (CM), and KOER codes and let us know what, if any, you find.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangGT221
No, they talk about the Tornados in there.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:10 PM
redbeep
New User
Tornados

First off - you know those tornado things are worthless, right? I'd take em' out if I were you (or atleast don't tell anyone ya got one! lol).

First thing to do is check your computer codes. You can use the search function (link above) and do a search in this particular forum for "computer codes" or "checking computer codes" (or combos of that) and find previous topics about how to do it. Check your KOEO, Continuous Memory (CM), and KOER codes and let us know what, if any, you find.
How is it that the Tornados are worthless?...How does it affect the truck and what facts do you have that prove that they do not work?..I will be the first to remove them, but I would also like to know where this information comes from and how factual it is...if it will increase my mileage and help the truck run better, I will take them out (I will probably take them out today anyway, since I know how the truck runs with them in) and see if the performance is improved...

Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm curious if they help in your truck or not. I have had someone tell me they picked up some fuel economy using a tornado, but that was a TBI engine. I don't know how they work on multipoint port fuel injection. I don't really buy into the claims they make either, but the only test I've seen was a dyno run of an older Honda civic - it lost power.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
It's certainly not going to hurt anything - but it's not going to help anything. Just look at the thing - it's so ineffective it's a joke. It's simply a marketing gimic - look at their claims, they are outrageous. It's a prime example of how statistical data can be skewed and misrepresented to their favor. Look up "tornado" on the forums and read what other people are saying about them.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 AM
midlf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If a tornado type thing worked it would be stock on your truck. Ford execs would sell their mothers, wife, daughters to a cat house if they could get 5 more MPG out of a truck. The best trick to better mpg is to make sure what you've got is working right, at the right pressure and keep your foot out of the throttle. Use the gas pedal like you have no mufflers and the cop behind you really really wants to nail you for noise. Also, if you know you are going to have to stop or slow down, let off the gas early. Don't snort up to the stop and stomp on the binders.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 AM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Check the fuel pressure before anything....thats the most common problem. Make sure its around 35psi at idle, and that it holds pressure after turning the truck off....

The tornadoes dont work...you can just google it and see various results showing the facts.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:26 AM
redbeep
New User
It's certainly not going to hurt anything - but it's not going to help anything. Just look at the thing - it's so ineffective it's a joke. It's simply a marketing gimic - look at their claims, they are outrageous. It's a prime example of how statistical data can be skewed and misrepresented to their favor. Look up "tornado" on the forums and read what other people are saying about them.
Thanx for the tip about the "tornados". I took them out yesterday and also installed a new O2 sensor. Is it a good idea to remove the positive battery cable for a few minutes after installing the O2 to reset the ECM? Thanx again!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:36 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
You never remove the positive battery cable without removing the negative cable first.

Remember, your vehicle has a negative ground. That means, that rather than using a postive and negative wire to complete a circuit, it can run just 1 wire to the object and use the metal of the chassis as the returning ground. Your vehicle has electricity running through it at all times when the battery is connected. If you remove the postive battery cable and touch any metal object on the vehicle with it - you're likely to cause a major short circuit which could lead to dangerous problems to you or the vehicle. Batteries can explode!

Always remove the negative terminal first...that way nothing will happen as there would be no connection between pos/neg.

Always work with safety in mind - and please if anyone doesn't know what their doing with a vehicle, get somebody next to ya that can help you.

My uncle was severly burned from a battery explosion/fire. You don't want to get yourself killed or injured by preventable ignorance.

And yes it would be a wise idea to remove the negative battery cable in order to reset the computer.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 12-15-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM
redbeep
New User
You never remove the positive battery cable without removing the negative cable first.

Remember, your vehicle has a negative ground. That means, that rather than using a postive and negative wire to complete a circuit, it can run just 1 wire to the object and use the metal of the chassis as the returning ground. Your vehicle has electricity running through it at all times when the battery is connected. If you remove the postive battery cable and touch any metal object on the vehicle with it - you're likely to cause a major short circuit which could lead to dangerous problems to you or the vehicle. Batteries can explode!

Always remove the negative terminal first...that way nothing will happen as there would be no connection between pos/neg.

Always work with safety in mind - and please if anyone doesn't know what their doing with a vehicle, get somebody next to ya that can help you.

My uncle was severly burned from a battery explosion/fire. You don't want to get yourself killed or injured by preventable ignorance.

And yes it would be a wise idea to remove the negative battery cable in order to reset the computer.
Thanx again...I will remember that!...and I appreciate all your help.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Anytime.

I suppose I should also point out that you always put the positive cable on first - then the negative cable second - when reconnecting a battery.

Those same principles apply when jumping/boosting a battery too.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You don't have to, but it is much safer wrenching on the negative last. That way if you touch the body work or ground somewhere you don't spark it real bad.