Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 PM
twildman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fella's I will try to clear up a few things.

First of all Jody Tipton is an awesome tuner, and a great person to boot.

A custom tuned chip will far outperform any cookie cutter programer or chip on the market.

The reason some are feeling a real touchy pedal is because the ICP is increased at a lower idle and will give it the sensitive throttle issue. This is easily changed on a custom tune.

If you put a chip on that will call for all the fuel the stock AD injectors are capable of delivering, then your ICP will bottom out, you will set a SES light everytime you get into it, simply because the stock HPOP is unable to supply the pressure the AD's require. They are horrible for oil demand.

I am running a set of 230cc hybrid injectors and can maintain 3100 PSI on the HPOP well past 100mph, which in a c/c dually that needs the front tires rebalanced is an interesting ride to say the least.

A hybrid injector (for those that don't know) is where they take the plunger and barrel assembly from a 530 injector an put it on ours. This setup requires much less oil to maintain a high pressure. The only drawback to the hybrids is that you loose the injection ratio of 7:1 6:1 or so.

However, for the person who is wanting to throw some serious power down say between 400 to 450 hp, then a hybrid injector (single shot) is the way to go, because you don't have to add alot of other supporting mods to make them perform. Granted, they are some fuel hungry beasts and a regulated return or full performace fuel system is an added benefit, but you will still see some serious power outta them.

I was driving down the interstate the other day and lukecline was in his truck right next to me, we leveled at 60 and counted to 3 and my truck got the jump, but when his h2e lit he began to pull on me, I wouldn't say he walked away easily but he was definately moving. This with a stock fuel system, and turbo on my truck.

I plan to put an h2e on my truck in a few months and can't wait to see how she does then!

I must add that Luke's truck is one of the fastest three trucks I have ever ridden in. Alan Blacks truck is a twin to Lukes and Terry Swisshelm has the other one, I'm couldn't tell ya which one is the fasted, but Terry has so far logged the fastest 1/4 at 13.3@100mph. Of course he has some custom tuning on the truck

For all who have inquired about a custom chip, go for it, you won't regret it!

Old 12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by twildman
Fella's I will try to clear up a few things.

First of all Jody Tipton is an awesome tuner, and a great person to boot.

A custom tuned chip will far outperform any cookie cutter programer or chip on the market.

The reason some are feeling a real touchy pedal is because the ICP is increased at a lower idle and will give it the sensitive throttle issue. This is easily changed on a custom tune.

If you put a chip on that will call for all the fuel the stock AD injectors are capable of delivering, then your ICP will bottom out, you will set a SES light everytime you get into it, simply because the stock HPOP is unable to supply the pressure the AD's require. They are horrible for oil demand.

I am running a set of 230cc hybrid injectors and can maintain 3100 PSI on the HPOP well past 100mph, which in a c/c dually that needs the front tires rebalanced is an interesting ride to say the least.

A hybrid injector (for those that don't know) is where they take the plunger and barrel assembly from a 530 injector an put it on ours. This setup requires much less oil to maintain a high pressure. The only drawback to the hybrids is that you loose the injection ratio of 7:1 6:1 or so.

However, for the person who is wanting to throw some serious power down say between 400 to 450 hp, then a hybrid injector (single shot) is the way to go, because you don't have to add alot of other supporting mods to make them perform. Granted, they are some fuel hungry beasts and a regulated return or full performace fuel system is an added benefit, but you will still see some serious power outta them.

I was driving down the interstate the other day and lukecline was in his truck right next to me, we leveled at 60 and counted to 3 and my truck got the jump, but when his h2e lit he began to pull on me, I wouldn't say he walked away easily but he was definately moving. This with a stock fuel system, and turbo on my truck.

I plan to put an h2e on my truck in a few months and can't wait to see how she does then!

I must add that Luke's truck is one of the fastest three trucks I have ever ridden in. Alan Blacks truck is a twin to Lukes and Terry Swisshelm has the other one, I'm couldn't tell ya which one is the fasted, but Terry has so far logged the fastest 1/4 at 13.3@100mph. Of course he has some custom tuning on the truck

For all who have inquired about a custom chip, go for it, you won't regret it!
Twildman you've filled my head with questions.
You've answered my twitchy throttle question, I figured it was something like that.
I'm having a problem with my Predator in that the power comes on hard with lot's of smoke and then sort of peaks and drops off after about two seconds on any setting above Tow/Haul. Every bit of smoke clears up and the exhaust is crystal clear. I'm thinking t's either fuel pressure loss or HPOP loss. I'm hoping it's fuel pressure loss, much cheaper to fix. I have big intake, exhaust, the ITP diesel boost regulator and gauges. Some modifications to the fuel delivery that bleeds off air bubbles through an oriface.
I'm glad that you wrote this because it give me good information for when I get around to diagnosing the problem. Just haven't had the time yet.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:06 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
dang, some times this site can be bad

now i am seriously considering selling my Evolution and Juice, and getting a DPtuner custom chip. i would want some custom tuning, and i would like to know if this is possible before i get too excited-

i would like it to perform like a "tow-haul" on a torqueshift tranny, when i hit OD off (or on a certain setting, say 100hp) my main concern is locking the T/C at a certain throttle % during acceleration, so it drops RPM's between gears (now it just stays the same RPM's when shifting under heavy throttle.... and also i would like downshifting and not unlocking the T/C under deleration. this is a heavy truck and it takes alot to stop it.

i love driving around my new 2006 6.0/tqshift in Tow-haul, the downshifting coming off a highway is great feeling, and under acceleration i love how it shifts normally, you can feel it go into gear very smoothly but yeat very firm, and i like that. under moderate throttle (this thing feels semi-gutless compared to my 7.3) it will shift and push you back into the seat. i love that feeling.

^^is this at all possible, and will this unjustify the cost of selling over $875 of edge products, cutting my losses, and getting a $350 gauge set, on top of everything the chip will be?

i hate to cut my losses on stuff like this i dont really need, but i am all about saving my transmission and making it perform how i like it to, and i have seen some posts about how guys had theirs custom tuned to downshift at a certain brake % and deceleration rate. thanks Twildman and Jody in advance, if you do reply.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
anyone?

Old 12-07-2005, 07:46 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Hmmm, I have the late '99. Does that still have the 15 degree pump? noIs there a part number that I can look at?
94.5-99 = 15*
99.5-03 =17*

there are some aftermarket pumps out there.
20*
and some double pump systems.....

its never ending now kwik. you'll never be happy.... emptywalletitis

Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by 1997F-350
94.5-99 = 15*
99.5-03 =17*

there are some aftermarket pumps out there.
20*
and some double pump systems.....

its never ending now kwik. you'll never be happy.... emptywalletitis
Yeah and wifemadatmesyndrome.
We have to take turns. She bought couches, I bought toys.
Thanks for the answer above. I have the late '99 so it's a 17 degree pump, the one that I was hoping I had.
If I ever am fortunate enough to do anything to the HPOP it will be duals.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
troutman2
Freshman User
I cannot believe that I have all you guys that know so much about tuners/chips/etc on one post. I am looking to get a chip/tuner for Christmas and I need some background that I know you guys know.

What is the difference between chips, tuners, and systems like a Quadzilla, Bully Dog. I have also read that some of these guys that make these systems all have some history with each other. I have heard very good things about Jody but I am not sure I need or want that much of custom.
I like what Heatstroked has described about his and that is kinda what I am looking for. I have looked at the Quadzilla that has the 3 settings (0-40-80) settings and I like that but what do I know about the real stuff. I know you guys have bought these things and decided to try others and I would like to know what is the best advice you would have for a guy starting out.

I have a stock 02 with only the Kwik filter and I plan on buying a 4" MBPR when I purchase the chip/tuner.
Thank you in advance.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
jsmahan
Senior User
What kind of reliablity issues can we expect w/ the chip. Has anyone been able to put any miles on one. I am way to close to putting the money down for one of these.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:07 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troutman2
I cannot believe that I have all you guys that know so much about tuners/chips/etc on one post. I am looking to get a chip/tuner for Christmas and I need some background that I know you guys know.

What is the difference between chips, tuners, and systems like a Quadzilla, Bully Dog. I have also read that some of these guys that make these systems all have some history with each other. I have heard very good things about Jody but I am not sure I need or want that much of custom.
I like what Heatstroked has described about his and that is kinda what I am looking for. I have looked at the Quadzilla that has the 3 settings (0-40-80) settings and I like that but what do I know about the real stuff. I know you guys have bought these things and decided to try others and I would like to know what is the best advice you would have for a guy starting out.

I have a stock 02 with only the Kwik filter and I plan on buying a 4" MBPR when I purchase the chip/tuner.
Thank you in advance.
Okay, I can only answer a few questions, and give a couple of opinions. You'll get more from other people.

People like Jody Tipton and Tony Wildman (twildman, on this forum) make custom chips. However, Jody (and I think Tony, too) have 'stock' chips, ones that used standard files they have created. These files work best with lightly modified trucks - that is, ones without aftermarket injectors, turbos, etc.

They don't cost any different than products by the bigger manufacturers, but they perform better. Why? A number of reasons.

In Jody's case (ask twildman what he has available - I'm not sure), he has programmed his standard files based on different PCM codes. There can be different PCM codes within a single year. Companies like Bullydog and Edge create programs based on a much broader range, like 99-03. They cannot be as precise.

There is another aspect I've experienced - the big guys, like Edge (one I have) are quite 'optimistic' with their power claims. The '60hp tow' setting on my Evolution really only adds about 25hp. Jody says he is 'conservative' with his power claims. People have said that his 40hp tow setting is more powerful than most 100hp tuner settings.

Best thing about a tuner - reading engine codes.

Best thing about a flip chip (besides better programming, if you get one from the right source), you can change settings on the fly - a tuner takes 5 minutes or more to reprogram to a new setting.

Figure out the compromise you want, put your gauges on first, and make a decision. I tried the Edge Evo, and am swithing to one of Jody's flip chips. I'll report my results in a few weeks.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Oh, and by the way, programming the chips takes knowledge and talent. The two names that repeatedly come up when talking about getting the best out of the 7.3 are Tony Wildman and Jody Tipton.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my chip!!!

Old 12-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I stated before, I really liked my Predator, in fact I still have it and it is in Momma's otherwise stock excursion. I still can use it to read codes for my truck etc. But The chip as said by others is custom burned for my truck and my PCM. I like the added power and the throttle response the custom tow settings etc. I just do not know why I waited so long to get a chip.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
I understand completely...

Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 PM
troutman2
Freshman User
Thank you Arninetyes! That is so helpful. I have done a little more research into Jody's chips and I do believe that is the one I may go with. I really liked his website and he seems to know the 7.3 way more than I ever will. And I also found out that he is pretty close to me. So I will be calling him soon.

But one of the reasons I asked this question is because I have a cousin that has a 05 6.0 and he bought a Quadzilla. It does not go into the PCM, it plugs into munerous different wiring harnessess throughout the truck and then just has a switch on the inside. I am familiar with tuners and now with the good chips but was confused about the Quadzilla when I saw his install.
Again thanks for all the info. I feel I can make the right decision now.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
troutman, i am thinking of selling my edge juice with attitude fueling box system, to upgrade to a custom burnt chip. this has the nifty computer screen in the cab, that has 5 selectable on the fly adjustments, and i am going to sell this if i get a chip. monitors EGT, boost, backdown% and engine rpm. i would like to have someone from FTE buy this if i do go to sell it. paid $575 new about 2 months ago. PM me if you are interested. i have a picture of the gauge in my gallery.