Sponsored by:

finally getting a back window.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Stuckinmud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally getting a back window.........

I've been driving my 85' around for 3 years without a back window, sure its my backup truck but it's too cold to be driving around without one and im tired of the snow coming in. Called around a few places and found that i can get one installed for $150, well the guy came over to do it and over course the motor that raises and closes the window wouldnt go so he couldnt install it. I cut the wires to the motor and hooked it up directly to the batter and it worked going up and down, so sounds to me like its probably the switch, it was getting dark and cold as sin when i was looking at it, dunno if just clean the contact on the switch if it will go, or it could be just toast, or it could be no power to the switch, i really hate wiring, if nothing else i am going to just run a wire from the fusebox and install a toggle switch so i can roll it up and down fromt he drivers seat.

Wish me luck, otherwise its gonna be a cold cold cold winter for me.......

Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There should already be a switch on the dash for the rear window! Do a search. This topic has been beaten to death and there are more links on how to deal with it than I care to think about.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Stuckinmud
Junior User
Well after some tinkering i have come to the conclusion that the switch inside the cab doesnt work at all, i bypassed the safety switch, now i can get the window to roll up with the key in the tailgate, but it wont go down. Gonna call make some phone calss and see about getting a new switch. As far as the one in the cab, i dont even want to mess with it, if i can get the one in the tailgate working both ways ill be happy.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Stuckinmud
Junior User
Well, didnt have any luck finding one from the junkyars or auto parts stores, i wonder what it would take to get the switch in the cab working, god i hate wiring!

Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Stuckinmud
Junior User
Now everything is working, dont ask me how, stuff just started working as i wess messing with it, i think being that it sat unused for so long the switches were corroded and not getting good contact. Getting my glass next week.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:37 PM
RanchRodsTX
Senior User
Red face

Hey "SIM"....I took my Bronco to have the window tint redone and the guy they had strip off the old tint, used a razor blade on the rear gate glass. It screwed up the window defrost wires. They ordered me a new "Ford" one from a company named AMI. They called Friday and said the glass had arrived and wanted to make arrangements to come out and install it. I asked the guy about the old window and he said as long as it comes out in one piece I could do what I want with it. The electric defrost is screwed and it has a few sctratches but the glass is okay. If you still need it and don't mind the non-working lines, you can have it just pay the shipping and packaging from 75087 to you. Or anybody else if "SIM" doesn't want it.