Brake Controller - Tekonsha Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 PM
f350-fan-tum
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Controller - Tekonsha Voyager

I just got an '04 F350 with the PSD. It had mounted in it already a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. I have seen some positive posts on the Tekonsha Prodigy, but I have a couple questions. I am planning on getting a trailer or 5'th wheel in the 28 ft range (up to 9 - 10000 pounds).

Has anyone had experience with the Voyager?? (was it good/bad/???)

Not being familiar with newer controller design (had experience with one taking sensing from brake hydraulic line), I read that it is "inertia activated".
Does this mean at standstill, the brake controller applies no output to the trailer brakes?
On a downhill, if the brakes are applied and there is no reduction in speed, does this also mean there will be no output to the trailer brakes??

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Larry

Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 AM
001-F DORF
Senior User
I've got one in my truck and it works just fine with both of my trailers. You're correct in the inertia type of controller, but it only works when the brakelight circuit is active. You can adjust the pendulum to correct for off level mounting and the sensitivity. It can get quite harsh if too sensitive. No output sitting still is correct. If you need brakes when sitting use the manual slider. Going down hill it can be adjusted so that just resting your foot on the brake pedal enough to active the lights applies the trailer brakes.
You can get a copy of the owner manual from the tekonsha website.

Compared to the Pilot that I used with my old 3 axle trailer the Voyager is not bad. The Pilot is rate based and the longer you activate the brakes the stronger it gets, until you can't get to the stoplight. However letting up on the brake pedal totally releases the trailer brakes and so you have to get on them again to keep from running the stoplight that you didn't think you would even get to a second ago.

The Brakesmart is the best but good luck buy one of those.

Dorf

Old 10-27-2005, 01:12 AM
bajaron
Senior User
Thumbs up

Larry

I tow a 30ft 5th wheel. I first used a Tekonsha Voyager and towed from New York to So cal with it. I call it my white nuckel trip. I chaged to a prodigy and it is like night and day. The prodigy is 10 times better than the Voyager. There are also other controllers that some like better but the Prodigy will serve you well
Now have 2005 f350 with built in brake conrtroller even b etter
Ron w.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I own one of them and its sitting on the shelf where its belongs not on my truck, I love my Brakesmart but they aren't available at this time so go with a Prodigy, and put the other one on the shelf.

Denny

Old 10-27-2005, 09:44 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've never had any trouble with the Voyager. It has worked well for all the trailers I have pulled and all the vehicles I have pulled them with.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 PM
f350-fan-tum
New User
Wow - thanks for the great responses - but what a range of success!! Obviously not unanimous (but that's why I asked). I wonder if the difference is in the setting or ??

Thanks again

Larry

Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 PM
001-F DORF
Senior User
Larry,
A lot of it has to do with the condition and adjustment of the trailer brakes, and not the controller and might explain the differences in opinions. Also, some trailers just have crappy brakes to begin with.
I hated my controller until I replaced the brakes on my camper this summer, now the controller works great.
Dorf

Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Originally Posted by f350-fan-tum
I just got an '04 F350 with the PSD. It had mounted in it already a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. I have seen some positive posts on the Tekonsha Prodigy, but I have a couple questions. I am planning on getting a trailer or 5'th wheel in the 28 ft range (up to 9 - 10000 pounds).

Has anyone had experience with the Voyager?? (was it good/bad/???)

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Larry
Larry, when you get your new 5th if it comes with electric/hydraulic disc brakes the Voyager will work with that setup as well as standard drum electric brakes. It is a good choice for a controller, but if you have just electric drum brakes the Prodigy is an excellent controller, so if you ever need to change controllers in the future give it a try, but remember it doesn't work on elec/hyrdaulic brakes systems.