6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford Headed the Wrong Way Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:00 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Ford Headed the Wrong Way Again

Layoffs at Ford include engineers

Sales and marketing employees were not the only ones to lose their jobs at Ford Motor Co. last week. A number of engineers and white-collar manufacturing workers also were laid off as part of the automaker's effort to reduce its salaried head count by 5 percent.

Ford Chairman and CEO Bill Ford Jr. has insisted the cuts won't affect the automaker's development of next-generation technology.

None of the engineers who lost their jobs last week were involved in cutting-edge projects like advanced powertrain or hybrid systems. Rather, they focused on engineers involved in convention technologies.
I wonder how many were 6.4/6.0 and TS programmers and troubleshooters?

I just have a feeling that when the 6.4 comes out, Ford is going to let 6.0 owners twist in the wind.

Last edited by jschira; 10-02-2005 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree. There's no way Ford would do a repeat of the 6.0L. Especially with all this time, the 6.0L was rushed to the market, the 6.4L isn't.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will stick my neck out and agree with Nick on this one. I beleive Ford needs to get the 6.4 right from the start and I really think they will do it this time.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
They'd better or anyone owning stock in FoMoCo would be advised to sell it fast. When I went to Utah last month on vacation I saw about 5 times as many Dodge Cummins as either Ford or Chevrolet.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:35 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think thats just a regional thing. It is 5 Super Dutys to everyone else here in the NorthEast.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
I think thats just a regional thing. It is 5 Super Dutys to everyone else here in the NorthEast.
Ahh, ok.......

Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Well its about a thousand SuperDuties to a Dodge or Chev here...
Neither Dodge or Chevy sell thier trucks here.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard that in the coming years the Cummings will be offered as an option for the big 3, After dodge goes with the Mercedes diesel. Anyone else here this.
I know I would love to see a new ford with a cummings diesel.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
I disagree. There's no way Ford would do a repeat of the 6.0L. Especially with all this time, the 6.0L was rushed to the market, the 6.4L isn't.
Sorry, disagree on what?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:43 PM
NJFordFan
New User
Frankly I think all the automakers (particularly US ones) need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's just like back in the 70s-- they were rushing vehicles out the assembly plant doors; most of those vehicles were yucky.

You'd think Detroit would smarten up. But, I guess the Almighty Buck always wins out over brains.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM
elemint
Elder User
Originally Posted by NJFordFan
Frankly I think all the automakers (particularly US ones) need to wake up and smell the coffee. It's just like back in the 70s-- they were rushing vehicles out the assembly plant doors; most of those vehicles were yucky.

You'd think Detroit would smarten up. But, I guess the Almighty Buck always wins out over brains.

No kidding... You could see this situation with your eyes closed. Building bigger and bigger SUVs, More HP engines, and ignoring fuel economy. Again the greed of Detroit will bite them in the behind, and japan will AGAIN make more market share.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:24 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jschira
Sorry, disagree on what?
This...
I just have a feeling that when the 6.4 comes out, Ford is going to let 6.0 owners twist in the wind.
I disagree with that feeling, although it's not unfounded. I just believe that Ford knows this is a must-be-hit engine, otherwise, they take another hit, which is exactly what they do NOT need.

What are you guys talking about the American auto industry is blind? It's the American (and Canadian) consumers that dictate what the auto industry does...in other words, the sales are in big hp, big vehicles right now. That's not to say that the auto manufacturers aren't trying here. They have DOD in the GM engines now, fuel saver there (although I don't particlularly like the idea of the DOD design), and pretty soon hybrid diesels, on all the manufacturers, which, will be great on fuel economy. There will be a diesel F-150 in a few yrs as well. I don't care what anyone says right now, I still want to be able to get a powerful, and stylish truck, and not be stuck with some boring, fugly japanese creation.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:48 AM
WWBeast
Elder User
You hit that on the head there...If consumers were not buying these big powerful engines then i promise automarkers would not be making them, they will always follow what the markets suites.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM
elemint
Elder User
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
What are you guys talking about the American auto industry is blind? It's the American (and Canadian) consumers that dictate what the auto industry does...in other words, the sales are in big hp, big vehicles right now. That's not to say that the auto manufacturers aren't trying here. They have DOD in the GM engines now, fuel saver there (although I don't particlularly like the idea of the DOD design), and pretty soon hybrid diesels, on all the manufacturers, which, will be great on fuel economy. There will be a diesel F-150 in a few yrs as well. I don't care what anyone says right now, I still want to be able to get a powerful, and stylish truck, and not be stuck with some boring, fugly japanese creation.
Sure market forces are in play, but having some vision on the change of that demand is what being successful and wise is all about. How come the Japanese happen to have hybrid cars out now that gas is at $3 a gallon? Now maybe the big 3 will START developement of efficent cars but they are already a decade behind since they did not put money into R&D for future demand. Our Gov't should have raised CAFE standards years ago too boot.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
CAFE standards are fine, exhaust emmissions are at the lowest they have ever been. There's always room for improvement, but we are not doing that bad as it is.
The Japanese came out with an unpractical, ugly, and miniature hybrid, that gets less gas mileage then a Jetta diesel! I hope our domestic companies can come up with something much more useful, and appealing then this. If not, I'll be driving old trucks around instead.

Quick Reply: Ford Headed the Wrong Way Again