Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Shift Revisited

Old 08-28-2005, 11:16 PM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
oldbluebronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Electronic Shift Revisited

Ok I was driving in 4hi when all of a sudden i was just spinning the tranny no power to wheels.I was in first gear on dirt and ruts. when i tried to shift out in neutral there was a grinding noise, like gears trying to run together. I really would like to put manuel tranny to avoid all thi but dont know where to look or howmuch it should cost. Any ideas on what is wrong and where and how to replace. thanks

Recently rebulit: tranny 1356 transfer case (elect), engine
35 x 12.5
3" body (working on a 4" lift)

Mark

Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
WHAT YEAR BRONCO update your sig with that info is very important.
hard to say whats wront with the tranny with out nowing which tranny you have. also the tcase could have popped out of gear as well. I hate the electronic tcases personally they never work.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
Its an 89 with an AOD. it felt like it was the transfer case but it has been rebulit twice.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
how are the motor and tranny mounts? if they are worn possibly causing to much movement and making the motor not engage properly in the tcase.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
The motor mounts are fine , dont know about the tranny mounts. should 4 hi work at low speeds, my brothers jeep seems to do fine in 4 hi.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
no, 4wd should not be used at all on dry pavement. the transfercase cant handle it and jeep tcases are built differently to handle that. drain the fluid first and see if there is metal. if he cant go with out it being if 4wd he should remove the front driveshaft or unlock the front hubs

Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
Can you explain how the transfer case can tell the differnce between pavement and flat level dirt. I really want to understand as much as possible. As for my brothers jeep I mean that in mud and hills it works fine in 4hi. when driving on pavement we are never in 4wd.

Last edited by oldbluebronco; 08-30-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
it cant, the tcase has no way to slip and it causes a binding effect in the tcase. Trust me. when your driving on gravel the wheels are able to slip just enough to give smooth operation. the jeep tcases depend on which one they have work with somethign similar to bands that when there is a lot of grip the tcase kinda slips. I wish i could explain it better but do some searches on the web and look in your owners manual i bet it will say not to operate on dry pavement.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
I changed the speed sensor and manually turned the position lever with no binding. I however still can not go into 4lo. and it slips out while in four hi any ideas. how hard is it to rebuilt a transfer case yourself? please help

Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by oldbluebronco
Can you explain how the transfer case can tell the differnce between pavement and flat level dirt. I really want to understand as much as possible. As for my brothers jeep I mean that in mud and hills it works fine in 4hi. when driving on pavement we are never in 4wd.
The T-case can't tell the difference. The issue lies more in the slight differeence in gearing ratios between the front and rear axles on the Bronco/F-series. This has been discussed extensively recently in another thread. The difference in gear ratios is enough to create the possibility of stretching or even snapping the T-case chain. And since the "part time" transfer cases used in these trucks has no viscous coupler to allow one axle to spin faster or slower than the other, driving on dry pavement has the potential to do the kind of damaged I just mentioned because the gear ratio difference dictates that one axle will always spin slightly faster than the other at any given engine rpm.

Last edited by greystreak92; 09-14-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 AM
oldbluebronco
Senior User
Could Changing the fluid help. What would cause me to go into nuetral while in 4 hi?
Trying to ge this fixed, brother just bought a jeep and thinks he's better.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
LilDuke
Elder User
LilDuke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by oldbluebronco
it felt like it was the transfer case but it has been rebulit twice.
My guess this that is where your anwser lies. That transfer case obviously has been "over worked" and having to be rebuilt twice, and now a third time? Questions like the quality of the mechanic, parts used.... Whether or not the chain had been replaced?.

Definately, you never want to run this, or any 4wd (not specifically designed) to drive on pavement.

That said, it may be time for you to consider other alternatives. If I were in your shoes, I would seriously recomend replacing the t-case with a NP208. Manual shift, gear driven, just plain reliable. I do not know what is involved putting that t-case on your AOD, but it has been discussed here berfore. I assume that all you would have to do is remove your old t-case, cut a hole in floor/carpet, bolt up new one with shifter allready attached, and install new driveshaft. <--- That part I think you can reuse, but again I am not sure with the AOD. I belive also that the spedo cable bolts the same between the 2. Also there would be some wiring involed for 4WD lights, not sure...

Just my $.33