1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford's 4R100 Tranny is a POS

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
jhrobert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about tranny woes. My original tranny had 125K on when it started to bang in 2nd gear. Two different knowlegdable tranny folks told me that I had a broken spring in the valve body for the 1-2 shift valve. Rather than mess with it as I had an upcoming shoulder surgery pending. I decided to put in a low mileage 39K tranny and new rebuilt heavy duty torque converter. All was going well until this afternoon when I was rolling down the highway doing 65MPh going up a grade. The tranny shifted down into 3rd gear and let loose. It just went GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrahh**** as the truck started to lose speed. I pulled over and popped the hood. The dipstick was sticking out of the fill pipe a good three inches. Tranny fluid was all over the right side of the motor compartment. I still had the truck running and checked the fluid level. the tranny fluid was in the marked area on the low side. I tried shifting the tranny into reverse and drive. It just made this growling noise like something had sheared off in the tranny. Fortunately for me I have two more weeks on my used tranny warranty. They will be getting a call from me in the morning. Has anyone else had a 4R100 tranny do this? I'm am totalling frustrated with my used Super Duty now. I am the one that changed the tranny so bringig it somewhere to have it done for free is out of the qyaestion. Now I have to get my brother to help me take it out again.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
im no trannie expert but it sounds like u have a broken torque converter.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If there was a broken spring in the accumulater it was a super cheap and easy fix. The 4R100 isn't a POS but its not perfect either.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
msgtcook
Junior User
I had the same thing happen @ 32,000. This was after Ford replaced the bad (from new) TQ. I drove out of the dealer and made it 5 miles. Had a broken brearing ring or something. " Bang" ...then I was sitting gave it the pedel and it started to move. Would not go over 40 mph back to the dealer. It has always been sloppy going into 2nd from day one. It acts up while towing from time to time. Next time I will dive it untill it blows up! NRTS!!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
jhrobert
Senior User
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
im no trannie expert but it sounds like u have a broken torque converter.
That is what I am thinking also because it has no forward or reverse. So if the TQ blew up. The tranny must be full of crap and pieces now because I didn't shut it off right away and tried to shift it a few times.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
jhrobert
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
If there was a broken spring in the accumulater it was a super cheap and easy fix. The 4R100 isn't a POS but its not perfect either.

I think it may be a little bit late for this tranny now. Just walking near my truck lets you know that something in it burned up. The pressure built up enough in that tranny to blow the dipstick out three inches.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jhrobert
I think it may be a little bit late for this tranny now. Just walking near my truck lets you know that something in it burned up. The pressure built up enough in that tranny to blow the dipstick out three inches.
I was talking about the first tranny you had in your truck. With some custom tuning and a FT accumulator my 4R100 shifts much firmer and quicker, it should last longer to boot.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
jhrobert
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I was talking about the first tranny you had in your truck. With some custom tuning and a FT accumulator my 4R100 shifts much firmer and quicker, it should last longer to boot.

I think that tranny will be getting rebuilt and going back in. I checked online and the place I got the last one from does not have another one in stock. It looks like I should be getting a refund minus the tranny fluid and filter change I just did to it. What is a FT accumulator?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think dkf might have meant the Factory Tech accumulator value body. It's a good upgraded for the 4R100.

1997-2004 E4OD/ 4R100 Gas Valve Body / Lightning

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock 4r100 is the weak link on these trucks, but it can be built stronger than all hell.

Get a quality rebuilt one from BTS or John Woods and it will be bullet-proof.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
jhrobert
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Stock 4r100 is the weak link on these trucks, but it can be built stronger than all hell.

Get a quality rebuilt one from BTS or John Woods and it will be bullet-proof.

I wish I had the money to just go out and buy a super rebuilt tranny by one of the pros. I am on a tight budget right now due to the fact that I am not working full time and just had almost a month off for shoulder surgery. What ever I do to fix this is going to have to be my labor and parts.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts

The first one went 125K miles without a problem, and the 1-2 shift is stiff and you replace the entire thing with a USED one?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
jhrobert
Senior User
Originally Posted by krewat

The first one went 125K miles without a problem, and the 1-2 shift is stiff and you replace the entire thing with a USED one?

I bought this truck with 125K on it. I bought it wholesale for $5400.00 cash, no warranty. I do not know if the original tranny had any problems with it. It was fine for the first two weeks that I had it. Then it started to bang into second gear. No OD light errors or codes. I needed the truck to plow with because the tranny in my rust bucket 1994 Ford F250 was just about gone. The OD light was flashing and the tranny slipped on steep hills. That is why I decided to not risk ruining the original tranny and put a low mileage used tranny in the 2003. I was just about tapped out financially and didn't want any bills. I also had my shoulder surgery coming the following week. If it snowed and my original tranny crapped out after I had my surgery I would have been screwed. I figured during the summer I could rebuild the old tranny to keep for a spare. I plan on keeping this truck for many years. It came with a new HD rebuilt converter and a warranty. To me it was a win win situation. If I had the finances. I would have installed a new rebuilt HD tranny. The whole problem was pending surgery and not enough funds to buy a rebuilt tranny. The outcome is now doing the job twice and still not knowing what the recycle yard is going to do about it. I'm waiting for a callback from them right now. They already know about it and had me call a tranny shop they deal with. The guy said it is blown and needs to be pulled out. They now know this also. I think they are trying to find me a replacement at the moment because they do not have another one in stock.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Monster-4
I think dkf might have meant the Factory Tech accumulator value body. It's a good upgraded for the 4R100.

1997-2004 E4OD/ 4R100 Gas Valve Body / Lightning
Thats what I was talking about. Have it on my truck and its great. Only $225 too.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 AM
jhrobert
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I plan on using an aftermarket spring kit, which from what I have been told, is the same as putting in an upgraded valve body. I spoke with a tech guy today about my tranny. He mentioned this kit that he has been using for years to fix the Ford trannies. I will be picking one up from him when I bring my used tranny back to the recycler. The recycler is now getting me another used tranny from another local recycler. I hope this one lasts. It has warmed up outside now. I think it is time to go out and pull my transmission.

Quick Reply: Ford's 4R100 Tranny is a POS