1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Are Some Ways You Have Improved Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 AM
davdogg39
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaking of garage sales, hehe, i found a small snow thrower for five bucks recently. Granted it doesnt work but I still come out ahead even after the repair. Sorry i know its off the subject but i could not help myself.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
My suggestion comes when it's time to rebuild that motor- especially the M block. You can build either into a much more economical motor and get a huge power increase as well. There are about 5 key changes that increase compression, fix timing problems and cam the motor to economize. I'm doing it right now but for a propane build as propane is far cheaper. BUT...you have to build it right! and most engine shops do not unless you kick em in the hiney and give them the right build sheet

Old 09-11-2005, 07:28 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MBBFord
Not trying to tell everyone to stop talking about public transportaion and unbolivable gas prices, because I was doing it too, but try to post somethings you do to save gas.
I already did. Driving by using the "egg" method is the cheapest (free) and easiest way to conserve gas, and depending on what your driving habits are now can increase your mileage by up to 5 mpg! I cannot give you any better answers because that is the best one for a Bronco. You are only going to get -so much- economy from something that weighs over two tons, is shaped like a brick, and has a large engine that is not all that efficient and in my opinion underpowered, which leads to more foot on the throttle, which leads to... Well, you know. So drive it like what it is, not what you would like it to be as far as performance - and your fuel mileage will increase drastically.

Besides that, here are some easy and economical tips to squeeze a little bit more gas mileage from your Bronco.

1 - Make sure that the tires are properly inflated at all times. Low tire pressure can cost you 1 or 2 mpg.

2 - Use the smallest tires with least aggressive tread that you are comfortable with. Large tires with aggressive off-road tread will cost you some mileage.

3 - If you have large tires, make sure that you re-gear accordingly so that you do not have to floor the truck everywhere, wasting crazy amounts of gas.

4 - Keep the truck properly tuned at all times. Out of tune trucks can waste gas mileage to the tune of losing up to 5 mpg or even more if it is very bad.
Also, make sure that the PCV valve is working properly. If it is stuck it will burn oil and kill gas mileage.

5 - Keep your air filter clean. Take it out once in a while and blow it out with compressed air, or at least give it a few good smacks on the pavement. Replace it if you cannot get it clean enough. Try a K&N or other high flow filter.

6 - Switch to a free-flowing dual exhaust system. It will cost anywhere from $200-400 but over time, the increased gas mileage will pay for itself. I have not done this, but will, one of these days.

7 - If your truck is EFI, be sure to keep the injectors clean. I run injector cleaner about every three tanks. Makse sure that you add enough for the Bronco's big tank. One regular bottle is not enough. I recommend buying the large sized bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. You can get one for about $7 and it is enough for three fillups (100 gallons). If you have not done this for a long time, you can add extra. Even the whole bottle. It will not hurt anything to add extra. The label even says that.

8 - Even the little things add up, things that you would not think of. Make sure that your tranny, transfer case, and differentials have clean oil. Be sure that your suspension and wheel bearings are ok. Check all of the belt driven accessories to make sure that none of them are dragging excessively. Be sure to change the engine oil at intervals and run some sort of friction reducing additive in there. Keep away from gimmick additives that rely on chlorine, such as Dura Lube and others. Recommended additives (by me) are Lucas, SeaFoam, Restore, and Marvel Mystery Oil. To the best of my knowledge, none of those rely on chlorine to do what they do. Royal Purple has a good reputation too.

Most of these suggestions are free, or close to it. If you follow them all, there is no reason that you cannot increase your gas mileage by up to 5 mpg, depending on your current driving habits and truck's state of maintenance.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Dj300ford
Junior User
I've heard if u keep your gas tank full or more than half way full it helps. not sure if its true or not. Maybe the less fuel it flows faster, more fuel in tank it flows slower???