Double clutching a top loader 4 speed....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Double clutching a top loader 4 speed....

I tried to post in the tranny section but it kept saying I wasn't logged in.....

I have a top loader 4 speed moving with my 390 and ever since I got the truck I haven't been able to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. I thought it was clutch issues because there wasn't any clutch left, but I've installed a new clutch and it still won't shift. I was told to try double-clutching. It works, I can kick it out of third, rev her, and push the clutch and shift to 2nd. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Is this common with these? Anything I can do to make it smooth?

Old 07-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was told back in the '70's by a Ford mech and fellow racer that if the toploader won't down shift, Adjust the clutch, then adjust the clutch, and then adjust the clutch; then change the syncros in the tranny. That's the only two things that can cause it. The trannies are pretty much bullet proof. Mine was the clutch slightly dragging the first time in my race car. The second time it was syncros.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Hmmm.....looks like I'll be adjusting the clutch..LOL
The clutch is brand new, maybe 25 miles. Any chance it'll adjust and break-in and the shifting will be smooth?
And by adjusting the clutch I'm ***-u-me-ing you mean the rod that pushes the fork right? I don't think there is anything else to adjust....is there?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:10 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,625 Likes on 1,325 Posts
I had one behind my 289 and it shifted up and down just fine. Is it a new rebuild and the synchros still new?

Don't adjust that clutch to the point where your throwout bearing is going to burn out. Look for flex and cracks etc that limit the clutch travel also.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Sounds like someone ground the heck out of 2nd gear since the clutch was gone.

Rebuilding one of these tranny's is pretty simple. Done with basic hand tools, but takes some finesse if you never had one apart.

If your clutch is adjusted fine for normal driving...then adjusting it more for downshifting is NOT going to help. If it upshifts fine, then let it go. The ol 4 spd just needs fixed.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 AM
bshackelford711
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larry is it a good book out there to read up on rebuilding thse things.

I have that t-18 and the other out of the 427 glaxie. I would like to rebuild the t-18 first and then pull the car trans and rebuild that one.

I have never had a tranny apart before and would like something to read first

Thanks
-Brandon-

Old 07-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Sounds like someone ground the heck out of 2nd gear since the clutch was gone.

Rebuilding one of these tranny's is pretty simple. Done with basic hand tools, but takes some finesse if you never had one apart.

If your clutch is adjusted fine for normal driving...then adjusting it more for downshifting is NOT going to help. If it upshifts fine, then let it go. The ol 4 spd just needs fixed.
Thats what I was thinking, thanks for clarifying. That was the first clutch I've ever changed on something non-import (quite a blessing having so much room), and I've never torn apart a tranny let alone try and rebuild one. I agree with Brandon, a manual or book would be helpful, I just ordered Steve Christs, but haven't got it yet, hopefully this week! It drives fine for now, so I think I'll stick with the double clutching for awhile. Although when I'm ready to rebuild, wheres a good place to start?

Trending Topics

Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
bshackelford711
Laughing Gas
read steve christs book. I really agree that is a good book.

It covers everything that you need to know.

what do you want to rebuild the motor or trans or both?

Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

As for tranny rebuilding...........not really sure there is a "new" book printed on this. Most likely an old Motors manual or such. Maybe find a FOMOCO book on them..

I learned by doing....it took a while, but now I do them in my sleep...LOL!!
They list special tool # for certain bearing removals....never done it. Simple hammer/block of wood and have never had issues yet. There are certain things that rely on the "Monkey/football" principle...LOL!!...but for the most part they are simple.

I can strip one in probably 20 minutes.....After cleaning parts, it's another 30 minutes to have it back in one piece. There is a sequence though...and you have to do it or things don't go back together.

A good start would be David Kee Toploaders(in texas). Great guy, got to know him from another forum. You can get a complete rebuild kit for around $150 for these. All small pieces, synchros, bearings...etc. He carries/makes everything, including cases, tailhousing, gears, shafts. His site is davidkeetoploaders.com. I'm sure he would have the tear down instructions. We've met a couple times at Ford swap meet in Columbus, Ohio...he even bought me dinner once . Give him a shout.

Last edited by Freightrain; 07-26-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Eventually I'll be rebuilding the motor as well as upgrading, higher comp. ratio, cam, port polish, etc....but for now, just the tranny...and that will still probably be another 6 months....haha....I just bought a house so that will take up all my time until I can get back in the garage
I checked out David Kee's site when I was trying to ID my parts, I must say it was very well put together and has tons of info I found useful! Although after the I.D. it appears I have a 69 428 Fairlane gearhousing mated to a 69 390 Torino tailhousing with a small input shaft and 28 splines out the back!!!
No wonder I want to rebuild the engine too, who knows what the prev. owner did!

Old 07-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I ask this, just because I'm a little green on the shifters... Are you sure it's a "top loader" or is it the standard truck T-18 that has the shift mounted to the top of the case? In my dark corners of the memory cabinet, these two are completely different trannys. Larry can shed some light for us

--Mike

Old 07-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Craig5_12
Tuned
Originally Posted by Mike G
Can I ask this, just because I'm a little green on the shifters... Are you sure it's a "top loader" or is it the standard truck T-18 that has the shift mounted to the top of the case? In my dark corners of the memory cabinet, these two are completely different trannys. Larry can shed some light for us

--Mike
Yeah, it's definitely a top-loader. Has the gasket on top, not the side as I believe the T-18's did. Also, the tag on it is RUG AJ which is the top loader for the 69 Fairlane....

Old 07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
bshackelford711
Laughing Gas
I have both.

I have a t-18 and a car tranny

The T-18 s a little monster. That thing is really heavy for its size. It has a cast iron case compared to the cars aluminum case.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Craig5_12
Tuned
I'm guessing mine probably weights about 75lbs. I'm pretty sure it's not aluminum either, what year car is your tranny out of Brandon? Did you get a chance to I.D. it on David Kee's site? I certainly wouldn't mind having a lighter tranny, although on a 5k# truck I guess it won't matter much! LOL

Old 07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
bshackelford711
Laughing Gas
The tranny is from a 67 BOSS stang.

It is not all that heavy, but i am not sure about what the weight is

The T-18 is i would say over 100 pounds but then again i have not touched it after it smashed my ankle to bits.

-Brandon-

Quick Reply: Double clutching a top loader 4 speed....