2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedliners, bedliners, bedliners?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Garycas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedliners, bedliners, bedliners?????

OK, so about three months ago I was dead set on Line-X. I have since decided against that because of cost and it's slippery texture. I was then sold on the Bedrug. It seems pretty nice, but it is just as expensive as Line-X. I have been reading posts about Dualcomp. It is cheap, seems to have alot of protection and seems to protect very well. I called my local Truck Accessories shop, they never heard of Dualcomp and gave me a song and dance on Pendaliners!! They said that Penda was the best and guarranteed it would not trap moisture and rust out the bed. Can someone please help me out here? My bed is getting really scratched up weekly. I need to get some protection on it. I will spend the money if it is worth it. Does anyone have any real world experience out there? Horror stories about any of these?

Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Have you checked with your local Line-X guy to see if the texture can be made a little rougher during the application process?

Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM
Arby
Freshman User
I had the same decision to make concerning "spray-in" or "drop-in" since I bought my FX4 SuperCrew 2 weeks ago (today). From what I understand, the Duracomp Duraliner is the same one Ford sells except it has the Ford logo on it.

I installed the STK Line-A-Bed SR under rail drop-in on friday. 1/2 the price of a spray-in and I'm told it's better than the Duraliner and Pentaliner (better skid resistance). It took less than 2 minutes to install. No joke. (and NO... I'm not getting paid for this endorsement )

I'm 6'2" and weigh in the mid 200# range and I was worried if I went with the spray-in I'd still dent it up when walking in the bed.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 PM
IslanderXLT
Freshman User
Consensus seems to be the best protection is Line-X with a bedmat combination.
I also have a Duraliner tailgate protector over the Line-X, works great, cheap.

http://pickupgear.com/forac.html

-Ron

Last edited by IslanderXLT; 07-25-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
I just had a Rhino liner sprayed in my Screw, $425. I like the texture of it, as it's not as "hard" as the Line-X, and nothing slides on it. I'm leary of putting anything in the bed that may cause something to become trapped underneath it, whether it's a drop-in liner or a bedmat. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:21 PM
timhood
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garycas
OK, so about three months ago I was dead set on Line-X. I have since decided against that because of cost and it's slippery texture.
I went with the Rhino coat. They have two grades--I picked the higher-end grade. It's anti-slip and has served me well. They guarantee against rust for life. The company's been around long enough that I trust them. I've been completely satisfied with it.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Stone F-150
New User
I went with the duraliner through my Ford dealer. It was $200.00 installed and took them about 45 minutes to install.It does have the Ford logo on it but it is made by Duraliner and have a lifetime warranty. Its a clean install and looks good. To do the spray on liners the have to sand all the paint off your sheet metal. If you do that type of liner, you better like it cause there is no turning back.

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Garycas
New User
Stone F150, Do u have any pictures of the Duraliner? I think there is a company called Duraliner, and Dualcomp. I have heard the Dualcomp is really good? I still don't know which way to go, 200.00 dollars sounds real good however!!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM
IslanderXLT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Garycas
Stone F150, Do u have any pictures of the Duraliner? I think there is a company called Duraliner, and Dualcomp. I have heard the Dualcomp is really good? I still don't know which way to go, 200.00 dollars sounds real good however!!
http://www.durakon.com/usa/prod_01.asp

Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM
1984 300 Project
Junior User
Overtime any drop in liner will start to rust out your bed because moisture does get underneath them. If you are dead set on a drop in liner than you need to take it out and wash and wax underneath it more often then you would wax your truck. If you baby it, the bed won't rust. Another option is to use herculiner, the do-it yourselfer, and then put a drop in on top of it. This will protect it for sure. Just need to decide on what you are willing to do.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Garycas, I have the Ford logo drop-in bedliner in my truck and am very happy with it. I had one in my last truck and never had any trouble in 10 years and 150,000 miles. I live in Texas where vehicles don't rust, the sun just cooks them to death. If you don't live where salt is used in the winter, or live by the ocean, then I think you will be happy with a high quality drop-in like the Ford logo Duraliner. Things do slide around in a drop-in but I like that you can load boxes or whatever and just push them forward in the bed without the surface grabbing everything and fighting you. Spray-in liners are great and many people swear by them but drop-in liners are a great choice also. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM
RyanSta80
Junior User
I had a LIne-X bedliner in my last truck and now in my 04 F-150 and I am very satisfied with it. Never gets slippery, even when wet. Some stuff slides around on it, but lets face it, stuff will slide on anything if you take a corner too fast, lol. The quality is there and it was sprayed on thick enough to protect the truck. As far as Rhino goes we have it in our utility pick-up at the firehouse and when it gets wet hold on cause it's like being on ice. The company I work for has had a few trucks sprayed by another company, Super-Liner. It was a lot cheaper than my Line-X but same deal very slick when wet and it was sprayed on very thin and takes nothing to nick it. It's your choice on what you pick, but in my opinion Line-X is worth the money.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Maalox
Freshman User
I've got the Rhinoliner in my STX, the "rubbery" one, and I am successfully tearing chunks of it off right down to the metal if I pull something out of the bed. Granted, they are heavy parts, etc., but I don't think it is as tough as the hard Rhinoliner. It was installed as part of a package when we bought 8 of them for work, I would have gone with the other one.

I'd say hard Rhinoliner with a bed mat for slip resistance.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Bryndon
Senior User
I've been driving trucks for 28 years. After using and destroying every imaginable spray-in bedliner - Line-X and Rhino included - and hating the drop-ins including every skid resistant on the market, I found Dualcomp. It impressed me so much that I found the company president and got myself hired!

The bottom line is it depends how you use your truck. I haul everything and anything from scrap metal to dirt and gravel... and everything in between. Part of my job is to try to destroy a Dualcomp bedliner... it isn't working.

If you check out the website and hit the header "take the Dualcomp Challenge" you will see a ten second video of our concrete block race. Tilt bed trailer has three bedliners - left to right Dualcomp, Line-X, Pendaliner SR. When the bed tips, you see the effect of acceleration or deceleration on your cargo. Simple test, and very easy to understand - if the cargo stays put, it won't get banged up... and neither will your truck.

I only carry tiedowns for one reason - I pull trailers and don't want the cars to fall off. I run no tailgate with a small toolbox in the bed and never worry if it will be there when I stop.

Sorry for being a little long winded. I'm passionate about this product because it works and never let's me down.

If you don't work your truck, you don't need a bedliner at all - paint is prettier than any of them.

PS: For the guys that say "Line-X and a mat"... Why pay several hundred extra $$$ for almost as good protection? The spray-ins do little or nothing for dent protection. At the Jamboree, over the weekend, I had a guy that lays block for a living grab one in my trailer and slam it on the wheelwell with everything he had - left a minor impression on the Dualcomp until the sun warmed it up - now there is no mark at all.

Last edited by Bryndon; 09-27-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
HANK HILL
New User
Originally Posted by Stone F-150
To do the spray on liners the have to sand all the paint off your sheet metal. If you do that type of liner, you better like it cause there is no turning back.
Sorry, they don't sand of all the paint. Paint sticks two ways chemically or mechanically. They only have to scuff the original paint to make a mechanical bond. It's not like they take 36 grit and sand your bed. Besides it would take hours to sand ALL the paint off and they would make no money.

I had the dealer spray in what they call Full Metal Jacket or a Linex equivalent. When I want to carry things that will hurt my bed I slide in the piece of MDX I purchased at home depot and cut to fit and carry what I want. Guess what no dents and i can shovel out dirt or sand without scratching the FMJ. It looks great I might add they even pulled the bolts and put them back in to look factory. But I guess that if your the type that drives around town and just for grins picks up block you may be better off with an old beater. Bed liners are just a preference, like art beauty is in the eye of the bedholder.

Quick Reply: Bedliners, bedliners, bedliners?????