6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Red dye fuel trace removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red dye fuel trace removal?

If one was to accidentally dump some of that red dye diesel into their truck, how would they manage to remove the trace dye in the tank, fuel system, etc? Not that I would ever admit to making that kind of mistake, but if I did make it, how would I get it out?
I understand it is a substantial fine to run that stuff in a highway vehicle and was wondering if it would be tracable if run through for a while or...? . Would I need to change filters? Use diesel kleen? etc.
Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:54 PM
caveman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to use marked diesel in my 02. Now with the 05 I don't because somewhere on this forum I read that with marked fuel they don't regulate the sulphur content as much or something to that effect and that could be bad. That truck did have injector problems twice.But do a search because I may have butchered the info.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:07 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't think enough was used to be concerned with sulpher as it was caught early, but am concerned about the dye / $fine$. Good info to know though, thanks.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
james gang 1001
Senior User
I don't think there is any way to remove the red color from the deisel. I use off-road fuel in my oil fired boiler at home, and the delivery driver said they only put about 1 cup of dye into the semi truck tanker . He pulls doubles to the refinery and fills both tanks on the semi from the exact same big tank at the refinery the only differance is the 1 cup dye. I ran my mitsubishi cabover so close to out of fuel once that Iborrowed 4 gal. from the cat skinner on the job, I had to run 4-5 tank fulls (28gal. each) through the system before my fuel was clean,I was pretty nervous thinking the D.O.T. would stop me in the mean time.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:06 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
I would think the first thing to do is change the fuel filters, I'm sure they would retain telltale signs of the red dye. Then try doubling up on a fuel additive,thats sure to remove any traces of the dye.
I asked my fuel oil delivery guy about dyed fuels at the terminal, he said they have different racks for the different fuels, dyed, and undyed. It's anybody's guess weather the fuel is really the same, or not. Main problem is if it goes to the dealer with red dye in the fuel tank warranty is VOID.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
I understand it is a substantial fine to run that stuff in a highway vehicle

$100 a gal that your tank holds. Run a few tanks and change the filters.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:30 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
It will take about 4 tankfulls to get the dye out of the system no matter what you do. It stains everything that it comes in contact with (fuel lines, injectors, pumps etc.) you just have to delute it out and hope you don't get caught or in an accident where fuel is leaking.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 AM
Richard Carlson
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red dye fuel trace removal

Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
It will take about 4 tankfulls to get the dye out of the system no matter what you do. It stains everything that it comes in contact with (fuel lines, injectors, pumps etc.) you just have to delute it out and hope you don't get caught or in an accident where fuel is leaking.
I been diesel mechanic 30 years it doesn't stains that didn't the fuel system only the filter that's all and there is a difference between red and green diesel if you put the green diesel in a tractor you will burn the injectors out of it tractor is slow moving and hi rpm the red diesel have more lubrication and sulfur and you make more power and get twice mileage green diesel at the pumps lacks the lubrication for the injectors always put automatic transmission fluid or 2-stroke oil for the extra lubrication for the injectors and I have never had any problems oh my 7.3 it will run on straight transmission fluid and it will run on straight motor oil and not smoke

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
In our area we have been unable to purchase anything other than the ULsd for many years. I even checked with our supplier and they cannot get it. As I have a 1978 combine and other older farm equipment. Which all required the high sulfur diesel. So they add extra lube to my diesel tank on every 1000 gal fill
yes a 7.3 will run on anything but not the 6.0 or newer

Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
As I understand it the 6.0L was meant to run on LSD fuel.
ULSD was coming in and replaced the LSD. So one would think if you can get your hands on LSD fuel your truck should be happy.
The problem is the red dye and that stuff likes to hang around that is for sure.

I use blue 2cycle oil as an additive and that shows up in the secondary filter bowl as a blue/green.

As for how to remove the red. If you had. lot in you could pull the tank then drain it then blow the lines out.
After that change the filters and fill with fresh diesel. You will still likely get some red and I don't know what
you might get if you added some blue oil to the mix.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:27 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Carlson
I been diesel mechanic 30 years it doesn't stains that didn't the fuel system only the filter that's all and there is a difference between red and green diesel if you put the green diesel in a tractor you will burn the injectors out of it tractor is slow moving and hi rpm the red diesel have more lubrication and sulfur and you make more power and get twice mileage green diesel at the pumps lacks the lubrication for the injectors always put automatic transmission fluid or 2-stroke oil for the extra lubrication for the injectors and I have never had any problems oh my 7.3 it will run on straight transmission fluid and it will run on straight motor oil and not smoke

Well 14 years ago this thread was started. Your information is incorrect, red dye and clear are the same fuel. Both are ULSD and have been for a long time now. All offroad equipment over 49 net hp has to be tier compliant and that requires ULSD.

FYI..... I was a fuel truck driver and you dose the trucks at the rack terminal. Just the same you would dose any other additives.

The following users liked this post: