1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bad diesel fuel--Why aren't fueling stations accountable??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:16 PM
dbrink1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad diesel fuel--Why aren't fueling stations accountable??

I was just wondering, how come fueling stations are allowed to sell fuel way past its "expiration date"? There must be an average time limit in which the fuel starts to go bad. I have no idea how long it takes but I do know that grocery stores can not sell products which have expired. So why isn't there a fixed amount of time in which these stations have to sell their fuel? I suppose there would be the problem of pumping it out and sending it back, but hell, we definitely pay enough for it. And think of all the problems and expense bad fuel costs us! I think that they should, at the very least, have to test their fuel on a weekly or monthly basis. I don't know where I am going with this, my truck's broke down and I am just pissed off

Old 07-03-2005, 02:38 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
Is your truck down due to bad fuel or something else?

Most of the bad fuel is not due to time, it is due to contamination of one sort or another. An expiration date would not help this. Selling a lot of fuel takes care of most of this - algae and such has no chance to grow in tanks that run a lot of fuel through them. For this reason I only buy fuel where I know sales are relatively high volume.

Dave / Believer45

Old 07-03-2005, 03:06 PM
duallydawg
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got it Dave.
High Volume diesel sales are the best way to avoid fuel that has been contaminated. Avoid your corner gas station if its not running alot of diesel through their pumps. If it only has one pump and you don't see trucks filling up with diesel, its wise to find another station.
Are you using any fuel additvives?
How is your truck broke down.
Why do you think its from the fuel?

Old 07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
JD717
Elder User
Fuel will go bad after 30 days sitting, its not due to algae growing in it, its because the chemicals separate and it turns to a varnish which gums up the works like sugar in the gas. buy from a place that sells high volumes of fuel, and you should be fine.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:57 PM
alalor
Senior User
If the fuel is contaminated, the gas station is liable in Texas, and probably most other states too. A friend of mine got diesel with a lot of water in his Dodge, the gas station agreed to pay over $1000 in injection pump repairs.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:04 PM
dbrink1
Freshman User
Actually, I think my truck problems are due to something else. Although when it started to stall on me, the first thing I did was to change the fuel filter. It was in pretty bad condition and it wasn't that old. Also the fuel didn't seem quite right in it either. Since then I have filled up again, and am having the same problem. Most on this forum think it is probably my CPS, so I am trying that next.

Hopefully I don't have the same problem alalor's friend had!!

Old 07-03-2005, 07:29 PM
rost495
Senior User
Where did I miss all this? I was understanding that Diesel had the longest shelf life of any fuel. IE if in a survivalist mode, have a diesel and a full tank of a few hundred gallons and should be ok for a few years.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:45 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the storage issues are true with gas not diesel.

contaimination from moisture is the biggest harm to diesel.

i have a 1000gallon tank with red diesel at the ranch and i only go through that in about a year and never had a problem with it.

whats your truck doing????