1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Air Bag light flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 04:43 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Air Bag light flashing.

The air bag light on my brothers 2001 Ranger is flashing. It will flash 4 times, pause, and flash 7 times. If I am right this means code 47 right? I looked it up and it says Passenger pretensioner circuit resistance low or high. What does that mean? It just came on by itself, he was in no fender benders or anything. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn'tknow the 01 had pretensioners on it.. Anyway the seatbelt will tighten up in the event of a wreck. Check under the passenger seat to see if the connectors are tight.
Dave

Old 06-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The pretensioners are in the front seats, they are a part of the seat belt assemblies.

My Ford Manual says that an "out of range resistance" concern on the passenger belt pretensioner assembly circuit can be caused by:

- wiring, terminals, or connectors.
- out of range resistance on the passenger belt pretensioner.
- an RCM internal concern

The RCM is the "Restraints Control Module" which is is mounted on the center tunnel under the instrument panel. The RCM performs the following functions:

- signals the inflators to deploy the air bags in the event of a deployable crash.
- activates the safety belt buckle pretensioners to remove slack from the safety belt.
- monitors the air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) for faults.
- illuminates the air bag indicator if a fault is detected.
- flashes the air bag indicator to indicate the lamp fault code (LFC) detected.
- communicates through the data link connector (DLC) the current or historical diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
- signals the generic electronic module (GEM) to activate a chime if the air bag indicator is not available and another SRS fault exists.
- contains an internal safing sensor which is not serviced separately.

The RCM monitors the SRS for possible faults. If a fault is detected while the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the RCM will illuminate the air bag indicator located in the instrument cluster. When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for six seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the two-digit LFC.

NOTE: There are a lot of warnings and very detailed steps regarding how to deactivate that type of SRS system (the ones with belt pretensioners) in order to conduct tests and repairs on it, and the procedure is a lot more involved than just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. I think I would let a pro handle it, if it were mine.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:57 AM
bullshooter
New User
I have a 96 Ranger and my code is Four or Forty Four. Found a website that gave a bunch of codes for Ford models and 44 for a Ranger is the RF crash sensor which is mounted (facing the truck) on the upper front of the radiator mount. Sensor is visable through the grille. I can see the front face of mine is rusted out and PROBABLY my problem which has been itermittant for several months.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Airbag Code 44

Originally Posted by bullshooter
I have a 96 Ranger and my code is Four or Forty Four. Found a website that gave a bunch of codes for Ford models and 44 for a Ranger is the RF crash sensor which is mounted (facing the truck) on the upper front of the radiator mount. Sensor is visable through the grille. I can see the front face of mine is rusted out and PROBABLY my problem which has been itermittant for several months.
Welcome to FTE and thanks for the feedback! Here's a little more info to go on regarding your '96 and the airbag code 44:

AIRBAG LAMP FAULT CODE 44 - RH PRIMARY CRASH SENSOR NOT MOUNTED TO VEHICLE PROPERLY

Normal Operation

NOTE: Circuit 618 (P/LG) is riveted to the side of the RH primary crash sensor case and the case of the sensor is grounded to the vehicle at its mounting point.

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance between Pin C2-21, Circuit 618 (P/LG) and the reference ground at Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W). If the air bag diagnostic monitor measures a difference of more than 3.0 ohms between the ground at Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W) and the ground at Pin C2-21, Circuit 618 (P/LG), the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory and flash lamp fault code 44 on the AIR BAG indicator. Should the difference in resistance between Pin C1-18 and Pin C2-21 be serviced or otherwise reduced to less than 3.0 ohms, DTC B1944 will be stored in memory.

Possible Causes:

A high resistance reading on Pin C2-21, Circuit 618 (P/LG) to ground can be caused by:

- A poor attachment of RH primary crash front air bag sensor and bracket (14B004) due to loose mounting, dirt, or corrosion at its mounting location.
- An open or damaged wire in Circuit 618 (P/LG).
- An open wire or loose rivet inside RH primary crash front air bag sensor and bracket.
- A poor reference ground at Pins C2-10 and C1-18 of the air bag diagnostic monitor in Circuit 570 (BK/W).

Note: All Pins beginning with C1 or C2 are located at the air bag diagnostic monitor. To access the diagnostic monitor, first the front RH door scuff plate has to be removed, then the the RH kick panel. The air bag diagnostic monitor is the blue box with two connectors mounted below the climate control head.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:57 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
take it to ford, they factory recalled the seat belts, id reccomend getting them replaced for free

Matt

Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Post Seat Belt Safety Recall 01S21

Originally Posted by fordboy_52
take it to ford, they factory recalled the seat belts, id reccomend getting them replaced for free

Matt
Good that you pointed that out. The affected vehicles are as follows: About 245,298 Ford Rangers built at Twin Cities Assembly Plant from 3/28/00 until 5/30/01, and at Edison from 3/13/00 until 5/25/01

Here's the text of the Owner's Letter:

July 2001

Safety Recall 01S21

Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Ford Motor Company has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some of the affected seat belt buckles in certain vehicles.

Ford Motor Company apologizes for this situation and wants to assure you that, with your assistance we will correct this condition.

What the issue is... In some of the included vehicles, it may be possible that either or both of the front, outboard seat belt buckles may not fully latch if the restraint is fastened slowly or using very low force. In the event of an accident, the restraint system may not provide the designed level of occupant protection, increasing the risk of personal injury.

What can I do now? Always push the seat belt tongue into the buckle "quickly" and "firmly" . After the buckle is latched, inspect the red release button to be sure it has returned to the top of its travel (See the included illustrations). If the red release button has not returned to the top of its travel, depress the red release button and again, quickly and firmly, insert the tongue into the buckle. If the release button does not return to its full up position, the buckle may not be fully latched. As soon as possible please go to your dealership so they can inspect your vehicle.

What Ford Motor Company and your dealer will do... Ford Motor Company and its dealer network will inspect and, if necessary, repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). If you do not already have a servicing dealer, please access www.dealerconnection.com for addresses, maps, and driving instructions to the nearest dealers.

How long will it take... The time needed for this inspection or repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time.

What we are asking you to do... Call your dealer without delay. Ask for a service date for Recall 01S21. Your vehicle's front outboard seat belt buckles will be inspected utilizing a special tool. If the buckle passes the inspection, replacement of the buckle is not necessary. If any seat belt buckle fails the inspection process it will be replaced free of charge.
When you bring your vehicle in, show the dealer this letter. However, If you misplace this letter, your dealer will still do the work, free of charge.

Need a rental?... Your dealer is authorized to provide a rental vehicle at no charge (except for fuel and insurance) if your vehicle is at the dealership waiting for replacement parts.

If you 've changed address or sold the vehicle... Please fill out the enclosed prepaid postcard and mail it to us so we can update our records. If you have sold the vehicle, the information you provide on the postcard will be used to notify the new owner about this Safety Campaign.

If you still have concerns... If you have trouble getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your dealership's Service Manager for assistance. If you still have concerns, please contact the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you:

Call (866) 436-7332
Office Hours (Eastern Time Zone)
Monday - Friday: 8AM - 11PM
Saturday: 9AM - 6PM

Hearing impaired call (800) 232-2952
TDD for the hearing impaired.

Last edited by Rockledge; 07-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:35 PM
MazdaRangerGuy
Elder User
You might check the connector at the passenger pretensioner (belt latch assembly)... I know the escapes had issues with them.. maybe tighten the female "tangs" in the connector. Make sure you follow all the rules and disable to AIR BAG system by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery first, or risk deployment (very unlikely, but always possible)