Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Grille Dilemma!!

Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM
mmadlener
New User
mmadlener is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Grille Dilemma!!

All,

I am in process of customizing the front end of my 2004 FX4 (silver metallic) and I am in a bit of a bind..

I just installed my new Xenon Head/Fog lamps and boy, let me tell ya; they look *&*%&* beautiful..

Now, to complete my front end, I want to add some aluminum honeycomb mesh (already purchased and laying in Garage) where the factory black plastic honeycomb already resides. I really thing this will set my truck apart from the rest of the flock, but I cannot seem to get the stock honeycomb out from the grille... I removed the grill from the truck and attempts to pry the honeycomb out, but it just would not budge.. I know there are several of you out there who have the billet grilles, so I would really appreciate some guidance as to how I can remove the factory honeycomb without damaging the grille.

Thanks a million for reading and cheers to those of you who provide assistance.

Mad

Old 06-07-2005, 03:45 PM
WhlM1
Super Moderator
WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
How about a dremel with a small cut-off wheel?

Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 PM
mmadlener
New User
mmadlener is starting off with a positive reputation.
I appears that the honeycomb is affixed to the back of the grill with post/clips, but I just do not want to exert too much force..

Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Ruckus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

mmadlener, I replaced the grille on my Lariat but reused the stock chrome surround with the new grille.I have to tell you, I do not think these honeycomb grilles were made to be disassembled from the surrounds.I just held the chrome surround and started forcing the honeycomb out.I ended up cracking a couple of the plastic clips (tabs) on the honeycomb grille while removing it, but it will not be a problem if I decide to reinstall honeycomb.To install your new grille I would suggest installing (pressing) evenly all the way around.Just press evenly as you go around being careful to stay even.If you have to use the dremel to cut any tabs I would suggest cutting them on the bottom.The reason is if you look at your bottom of your surround there are three tabs that protrude outward toward radiator.You can drill small holes through the tabs on both honeycomb and surround, then put screws (I used stainless) through to help secure new grille.It is hard to explain without knowing for sure what you are doing.If I can be of any help, let me know.Good Luck!

Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 PM
4x4twinkie
Freshman User
4x4twinkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mmadlener
I appears that the honeycomb is affixed to the back of the grill with post/clips, but I just do not want to exert too much force..
Dont worry about breaking those tabs. They will take the abuse. I took my honeycomb out and installed some gutter guard in my 04 STX. Here are some pics of the aftermath.

http://www.hosting.superhighoutput.com/98shotoy/New%20Truck/DSC00015.JPG
http://www.hosting.superhighoutput.com/98shotoy/New%20Truck/DSC00018.JPG

Here is some pics of under the hood where the honeycomb is.....

http://http://www.hosting.superhighoutput.com/98shotoy/New%20Truck/DSC01529.JPG
http://http://www.hosting.superhighoutput.com/98shotoy/New%20Truck/DSC01530.JPG

Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
vettethret
Freshman User
vettethret is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mmadlener
All,

I am in process of customizing the front end of my 2004 FX4 (silver metallic) and I am in a bit of a bind..

I just installed my new Xenon Head/Fog lamps and boy, let me tell ya; they look *&*%&* beautiful..

Now, to complete my front end, I want to add some aluminum honeycomb mesh (already purchased and laying in Garage) where the factory black plastic honeycomb already resides. I really thing this will set my truck apart from the rest of the flock, but I cannot seem to get the stock honeycomb out from the grille... I removed the grill from the truck and attempts to pry the honeycomb out, but it just would not budge.. I know there are several of you out there who have the billet grilles, so I would really appreciate some guidance as to how I can remove the factory honeycomb without damaging the grille.

Thanks a million for reading and cheers to those of you who provide assistance.

Mad
Unfortunaltey I cant give you any assistance with your problem because I am mechanically retarded, but where did you get your xenon lights and fogs if you dont mind me asking?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
4x4twinkie, That was very creative and turned out looking VERY sharp.Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 AM
les017
Senior User
les017 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 4x4twinkie
....I took my honeycomb out and installed some gutter guard in my 04 STX.....
DUDE!!!! I had NO idea that when you said "gutter guard" that you meant GUTTER GUARD!!! LOL From what I can tell from the pics though, you ROCKED it!!

yessss, I liiike

Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
4x4twinkie
Freshman User
4x4twinkie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you all!!! I actually have installed gutter guard in all my trucks and cars in the past. I started doing it to keep the bugs out and the figured out I can do it and make it look pretty snazzy. The gutter guard II use is the "stiffer" stuff. NOT the gutter guard you buy in the roles for like $5.00 either. I bought the stuff that is 2 feet in length and is in a package of 6 or 8. I cant remember. Its in the same section as the gutters and stuff like taht at Lowes. I also painted the gutter guard so it would not get to "weathered". Just primered it and then used regular silver metalic paint. It sounds like alot of work but it really wasnt.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
It will also keep out leaves.Looks Great!