1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The famous clunk I guess

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 AM
missouguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The famous clunk I guess

Well, I posted earlier about the clunk, or slop in the drivetrain when taking off from a dead stop. Took it to the stealership for an oil change and asked them about it. He said they checked it out and thought the carrier bearing was a little loose. Not too bad. For 160 bucks they could replace it.

I think I will try the grease on the slip joint first. Then if necessary I can change the carrier bearing.

How big a job is this? The greasing of the slip joint doesn't sound too hard, what about the carrier bearing if necessary?

Thanks

Frank

Old 06-07-2005, 05:32 AM
Marcus6679
Senior User
In order to change the carrier bearing the rear differential will for the most part have to be fully dissassembled, aside from the pinion shaft. The carrier bearings are installed on the left and right of the ring gear carrier and the axleshafts pass through these. You'll have to remove your axleshafts to get the carrier out. The carrier bearings usually have to be pulled off via a bearing splitter and have to be pressed back on. The carrier bearings have to be preloaded, and they also establish the mesh pattern of the ring and pinion. This part takes some time and must be set up correctly to prevent noise and premature wear.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 AM
350z
Elder User
I think there talking about the carrier bearing in the rear drive shaft, its not that hard to do.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
JKBrad
Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts
The carrier bearing is the part the goes between the two halves of the rear drive shafts. It's relatively easy to remove and replace. It sounds like Marcus was explaing the pinion bearing, which is a difficult job as he described.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes called a "swing bearing" the carrier bearing is bolted to the frame and is attached to the rear portion of the front driveline. To grease the splines: chock the tires, put tranny in neutral, disconnect one side of the rubber boot from the driveline connection, remove the carrier bearing and move the carrier bearing out enough to separate the drivelines. Install the grease liberally (Teflon).
HINT: Drill and tap yoke for grease fitting if you have the capabilities...

Then reinstall.

Last edited by Big Orn; 06-07-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
BigRedTank
Freshman User
Excursion clunk in transmission

I too have a clunk when i press the gas from a dead stop. Kinda a "thud" but it only happens in forward gear and not reverse. I had it at the dealership today for oil changes and they acknowledged a SMALL clunk could be caused by the sealed slip-joint but after driving my X around they tell me the clunbk it too prominant to be the slip-joint. They went on to tell me it must be some type of bushing (forgot the name of it already) internal to the tranny housing that holds the driveshaft inline. The X has been used to tow alot but never over weight. Any thoughts???

01 Excursion
V10, 4X4, 4.30 Gearing, 48K miles

Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Drone Leader
Senior User
FWIW Dept: My '92 F-150 SC klunk was fixed with new U-joints. But it klunked with any change in acceleration.

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 AM
jaybird
Senior User
I too would lean toward the U joints first.They usually get sloppy on heavy vehicles.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Mine seems to have the clunk and now that I think about it, has had it since new. I thought it was the LS rearend. Anyway, my truck has 13K miles how about yours. Haven't towed yet either.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 AM
moto man
Freshman User
I also have been noticing a clunking noise coming from the rear of the truck. I haven't has time to investigate thoroghly, but at first I was blaming the the traction bars. The truck only has 5000 kms on it, so I'm wondering if part of the traction bar assembly/rear lift needs to be re-torqued. If it had more kms on it I would be leaning heavily toward a u-joint problem. I get one clunk when decelerating at low speed to a stop, and another on take off. I already checked the box for something sliding around, because thats what it seems like.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:29 AM
BigRedTank
Freshman User
Update on my tranny issue. I'm not 100%v sure of what the dealership was talking about in the tranny that could cause the clunk. I took a 500 mile trip this week and I lost Second gear and the torque convertor isn't locking into overdrive anymore, so it is overheating badly. Pretty much, the good ole' 4R100 tranny died. Instead of tearing it down and having it rebuilt, Im having a PROformance tranny unit installed. I'm not tranny intelligent and I'm visiting family away from my tools even if I wanted to try it. The PROformance is suppose to be tougher than Ford original but I've always used Motorcraft parts, so this is a first for me using aftermarket, especially something as big as the tranny. I'll let ya'll know how the install goes when it is done and how well the new tranny works.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:24 AM
missouguy
Elder User
Well, I took it to a driveline shop and had the guy take a ride with me. He said not to sweat it. He said if I lube the splines it will go away. So I guess that is what I'll do.

Frank

Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
BigRedTank
Freshman User
OK. I ended up swapping up the tranny for a rebuilt for PROfessional Transmissions. Seems rock solid so far, but only about 750 miles on it at this point. ANyone out there running a V10, 4X4, with 4.30 gears? If so let me know what your shift points are...ie 1st into 2nd at 30mph and 2500rpm and such. I am wondering if its just a different tranny or maybe my old one didnt work for a long time. I run 2500RPM at 70MPH and 2000RPM at 55MPH in my X's configuration.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
cloleson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running 4:30's with my V-10. I know I'm right at 2500 rpm at 70 mph. I'll check my shift points out and get back to you. In the mean time, maybe someone else will offer up; or you can post down in the V-10 forum where I know there are several with 4:30's.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by missouguy
Well, I took it to a driveline shop and had the guy take a ride with me. He said not to sweat it. He said if I lube the splines it will go away. So I guess that is what I'll do.

Frank
Might as well, Frank. Let us know if that does the trick.

BigRedTank,
Not ignoring you (I have the 4.30 gearing), but I have a manual tranny. Maybe someone will come along here shortly and help you out.

Quick Reply: The famous clunk I guess