1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Explorer Overhead Console into a Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 PM
MemphisSenior
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer Overhead Console into a Ranger

I've gotten my hands on the overhead console, which has outside air temp and compass out of a 1999 Explorer. It has all the wiring, outside air sensor and the mounting brackets. What I need to know is, will it fit/work in my 2002 Ranger? I think it will look good in my Ranger. Has anyone done this install before? If so what is involved?

Thanks for your help

Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MemphisSenior
I've gotten my hands on the overhead console, which has outside air temp and compass out of a 1999 Explorer. It has all the wiring, outside air sensor and the mounting brackets. What I need to know is, will it fit/work in my 2002 Ranger? I think it will look good in my Ranger. Has anyone done this install before? If so what is involved?

Thanks for your help
I just finished the install on my '04 Edge. A great help was from an excellent write-up at cardomain.com/memberpage/296394/4 . I left the head liner in place and ran 6 wires under the liner using a cloths hanger and string, the other two wires went to the dome light and ground - 8 total. Hardest part is taking a deep breath and plunging that razor knife into the liner. Good luck.
Dono

Old 05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
MemphisSenior
Senior User
Dono

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. It will make the install go a lot easier. Especially for someone like me that never really mastered the art of electrics.

Nick (The Memphis Senior)

Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
I installed the temp sensor today to complete the job. Temperature went from an indicated -44C (a little cold for Texas in May) to 84F (fells about right). Thanks again for the assists I got from this forum.
Dono

Old 05-18-2005, 07:06 PM
MemphisSenior
Senior User
Say Dono, Where did you install the temp sensor. I see several places that look like they might work in the engine compartment, on either side of the radiator, but wonder about heat from the engine effecting the temp readings.

Looks like it will be several weeks before I can do the install though. I've got so many projects going it's a good thing I'm retired. I don't have time for a job. LOL.

Nick

Old 05-18-2005, 10:48 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by MemphisSenior
Say Dono, Where did you install the temp sensor. I see several places that look like they might work in the engine compartment, on either side of the radiator, but wonder about heat from the engine effecting the temp readings.

Looks like it will be several weeks before I can do the install though. I've got so many projects going it's a good thing I'm retired. I don't have time for a job. LOL.

Nick
Left front behind the headlight. There was already a temp sensor there ( for the AC), I placed mine beside it - popped the retainer through an existing hole (easy to reach from under left front). The purpose of the wire that goes to the VSS (Vichicle Speed Sensor) is to make sure the truck is moving so that you don't get a false temp. Contact me if I can assist in any way.
I know all about the projects, I've been retired for 9 years.
Dono

Last edited by dono; 05-18-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmm - maybe I better do this mod before I retire myself.

FWIW, the temp sensor on the Explorers are located on the left front of engine compartment in front of the radiator, so it sounds like Dono is right on.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:14 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
DANG, another fun project I gotta do!!!! Along with the idiot oil pressure gage fix!!!!

How about you guys posting some of your pictures of the finished product & any hints you might have discovered, or things to watch out for, like cutting the headliner without cutting any wires behind it, routing your wires, installng the brace ect, ect.

I'm retired too, so gotta keep the "fun to do list" full, as if it wasn't already, know what you mean MemphisSenior!!!! LOL.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
There is an excellent writeup with pics mentioned in post #2 which describes the actual mounting, then the wiring. I did not like the color match with my console so I took it apart and painted it. There are 8 wires total with 1 going to the dome light and 1 to ground at the mounting bracket. I used a 2-conductor wire for the temp sensor so I only had 5 wires to run under the liner, down the pillar to the dash. The 2-conductor wire and the VSS wire went through the firewall and the other 3 went to the radio. There is a parking lot ritual which involves putting in a zone number and driving in circles to sinc the compass. As soon as I determine my zone number I will do this and should be finished at last. Any one that goes to Ebay for their console, make sure the mounting bracket and temp sensor is included. Good luck.
Dono