1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Overhead console retrofit for Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
fdnylax
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Overhead console retrofit for Super Duty

I love my new 2006 SD, but I miss my overhead console from my training truck (F150)
After searching the site, it looks like this option is only offered now on the King Ranch and Amarillo. I found a guy on ebay selling consoles out of salvaged 150's. He includes color photos of installation, step by step instructions, he even prewires the outside air temp sensor as well as sending a template to cut the headliner for a perfect fit.

I installed mine the other night, took about an hour including the temp sensor up front in the grille and a few minutes to calibrate the compass.
If your interested, search ebay for Ford overhead consoles, the guy's handle is OLBIRD.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased one of those a few weeks ago - still waiting for it to arrive - shipping is slow to Canada. Great guy to deal with - glad to hear it worked well for you. I am really looking forward to installing mine.

Couple of questions for you:
Was the temp sensor easy to install up front and wire back to the console?
Did you have to drop the headliner to install the overhead console?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
eysham
Senior User
I couldnt find it in ebay
how much did it go for?

can you post pics of the detailed installation.

Eysham

Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Here is a link to one for sale by the same seller. I got the tan one, although it may have been a little different as I didn't pay as much. The instructions come with it as well as a retrofit base that attaches to the roof.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/F-250-350-SUPER-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
fdnylax
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
I just purchased one of those a few weeks ago - still waiting for it to arrive - shipping is slow to Canada. Great guy to deal with - glad to hear it worked well for you. I am really looking forward to installing mine.

Couple of questions for you:
Was the temp sensor easy to install up front and wire back to the console?
Did you have to drop the headliner to install the overhead console?
Yes, The sensor mounts easily up in the grill. I ran the wires down the Drivers side of the engine compartment. There is a carboard cover in the firewall to pass the wires thru into the interior, they will come out behind the emergency brake. From the E brake I ran them straight up the far left side of the dash and under the window post cover and under the headliner.
You dont need to drop the headliner, just remove both sunvisors and you get more than enough room to install the base plate.
The guy really has his act together he thought of everything, look thru all the color pictures before you start as they are really helpful.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Storm
Postmaster
FDNY... I know the sunvisor is on a huge chunk of metal.. But what about the back screw? Is there a metal tab in the roof for it? I had one of these consoles in my 2000 F150 and I really miss the thing.. I been wanting to add one to my SD, kinda pissed me off that Ford didn't put one in the XLT SD but they put those in the XL F150 I had..

Old 11-04-2007, 12:37 AM
fdnylax
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Storm
FDNY... I know the sunvisor is on a huge chunk of metal.. But what about the back screw? Is there a metal tab in the roof for it? I had one of these consoles in my 2000 F150 and I really miss the thing.. I been wanting to add one to my SD, kinda pissed me off that Ford didn't put one in the XLT SD but they put those in the XL F150 I had..
Yes, its all there. I guess Ford just stamps out one roof panel for all the SD line, so when I ordered the kit it came with the baseplate that mounts to the bracket already in the roof panel, after I wired it up I just snapped on the console cover and was good to go. I couldnt be happier with it.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Storm
That console was installed on the SD Lariat up to 05 MY. In 05 the console changed as the temp & compass were moved into the intrument cluster. 05 & Newer SD overhead console just has sunglass, door opener holder and open slot to store misc crap. If you have a sunroof then the console is different yet again.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 AM
eysham
Senior User
would this fit in a 2007 XL SD?
will all the functions work?? how do I connect to the carputer?

Eysham

Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Green_Dually
Elder User
On these consoles,there are no wires that goto the computer.
Just need power ground and outside air temp wires.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Grey 250s
Senior User
It will be interesting to see how the console display figures out the fuel consumption w/o cpu input. I ordered the new (overstock) gray one from "ol bird" yesterday. He e-mailed right back and said it would ship UPS on Monday. Just across the state so, hopefully, quick. The overhead console was an upgrade that I really wanted in my XLT. Looks like a good solution.

The wife asks "So, are you about done fixin' up your Taj MahTruck?"
(I spent quite a bit on it lately. Bumpers, winch, front coils, RideRite rear, TruckTrunk, Upfitters, Husky mats, Hellas, seat covers, etc.)

"Uh.... Sure, Honey. That's it!"

'06 F250 PSD/SC/LB

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Storm
Postmaster
These dont have the Fuel Computer in them.. The console is the one that came from the F150 XL, its just a Compass and Temperature display.. There is no Fuel Computer in it..

Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Ol bird is clear about that - these are not designed to hook into your computer - all you get is outside temp (I ordered the extra temp sensor with mine - wasn't included in auction but he sells it cheap) and the compass. That's all I really wanted - wife's car has that and you get used to it.

There is no fuel consumption or anything else like that. The '05 and up super duty trucks have the fuel consumption and miles to empty in the gauge cluster (although my '05 only has the mini display so I don't have that option - don't really need it - just keep stopping and filling up the gas tank).

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Grey 250s
Senior User
We must be looking at different consoles being sold by the same "Ol bird". This isn't one that is pulled from an F150. This one is described as a "new - overstocked item". He seems very clear in the ad that it does, indeed, include all the other stuff. Here's a couple of cut-&-pastes from the e-bay ad:

I WILL SEND YOU THE EASY TO UNDERSTAND WIRING INSTRUCTIONS SHOWING WHAT WIRES ARE MISSING AND WHERE TO HOOK UP THE MISSING WIRES TO MAKE THE CONSOLE DISPLAY ALL FUNCTIONS.
This console features a digital LCD multi- function display, compass, miles to empty, miles per gallon and outside temperature.
THIS CONSOLE HAS ALL THE FUCTIONS PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR, MILES TO EMPTY, MILES PER GALLON USED, COMPASS, OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE TELLS YOU WHEN THERE IS A CHANCE OF ICE ON THE STREETS.

Well ... I guess the answer will be here when I open the box.

I hope there's no copyright on simple e-bay ads

Last edited by Grey 250s; 11-04-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
tac53parsons
Senior User
I have the same overhead console in my truck from the factory. Thear door (garage door opener I think) is missing. Ford wanted $75 just for the door. Does anyone have one or know where I can get it cheaper. I think the color is medium flint (gray).

Quick Reply: OEM Overhead console retrofit for Super Duty