Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windsheild Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windsheild Question.....

Hey guys whats up,

Heres my question to someone with some knowlage in the glass department, and if this isnt the right forum, sorry.

I just had a new windsheild put into my truck about 3 weeks ago, 87 f-150 4X4. the reason I had a new one put in was becasue the old one leaked in 2 places, (water) it wasnt bad, but annoying non the less. I sent it to a local glass company, and he replaced it knowing, that the reason it was there was because of a leak.

So I get it back, all excited, because now I can take out the carpet and make sure its DRY. WRONG, next rainstorm it leaks again, no better and in the same place, Not a big deal he said he would fix it, so I brought it back, he said he fixed it this time.

Nope, last saturday in the rains we got up here, just as bad if not worse than before, now im Getting a bit Pi*** off. So its going back AGAIN monday or tuesday, but I took the trim off the inside, to Investigate, and it seems, thet there is some sort of gasket material between the windsheild and the truck, and it is soaked, SO i guess what im wondering is if this is normal???? or should I bite my wallet and bring it to another shop to have it repaired, thanks for any help.

Jeremy

Oh yeah this is that it looks like but in words of course.

Windsheild
Silicone?
??Mystery gasket??
Silicone?
Truck sheetmetal.

Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it seems it should have bedded and sealed. I'd definetly take it back and have it redone. Make nice with the owner, at least at first, and explain your situation, they should stand behind their work. Once done and set up, which shouldn't take long at all, water test with a hose. Let it cascade down like rain and see if it leaks. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:58 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The metalwork under the sealer and glass should have been thoroughly checked for rust and pitting under the paint, if the paint is off the body water will get thru. Is there any blistered paint surface or visible rust anywhere near the windshield or moulding?
Water can come thru about 10 spots in the firewall also, a door seal on the side could be bad. etc.

Study the problem carefully before blaming the window guy, he may have done a good job.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:07 PM
MRL123
Senior User
I just recently had the winshield replaced in my '91 F150. The glass repair shop called and said that there was no way they would consider installing the new windshield unless I paid out an extra $150.00 to a body shop to get the rust problems fixed in the flange that the windshield sits in. I kinda coughed and spluttered for a few minutes and then remembered that the windshield had been leaking for about two years. I checked on the work that the bodyshop did - Nice!! they had to weld repair several places where the rust had eaten through the windshield frame, primed it and then painted the flange with a black paint. Then back to the glass house for the new windshield - no leaks of any kind. Yes, it cost a few extra bucks to have the rust repaired. Yes, it was worth it.

Failing that, try some flowable silicone sealant. It's made by LockTite and works great to flow into the leak and seal it up tight.

Cheers!

Mike

Old 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
I won't use silicone to patch leaks, the silicone traps water behind it and causes more rust. The silicone is very difficult to remove from the body also. There are no solvents for silicone, it can't be wiped off, it must be scraped or sanded off.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:37 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
well heres the thing, It already went back, and they didnt remove the windsheild, they jsut sealed it again, but the question is what the heck is this gasket stuff between the sealants? sounds like it shouldent be there,

And its not the door or the firewall, its leaking from the top, and i took the molding off and can see where it is leaking,

Thanks for the help, it is going back on wednesday, for another attempt, I explained to him I want him to remove the windsheild and reseal it again. but after the 3rd attempt, I hope he gets it right, if not, ill be gettin a litl' upset.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
I have never seen any type of "gasket material" under a windshield. It is always a rubbery black material. The pro that just installed my windshield used a large caulk gun to apply a bead of sealant to the car, but I noticed there were rolls of the black sealant hanging on the walls. maybe some kind of applications use a tape-backed sealer under the glass. I removed the old gleas and scraped all the old sealant off the metalwork, the rust was removed, the car was primed and painted. I took it to the pro, and he first applied a black primer, went on like paint over my painted surface. He then applied the rubbery-looking black sealant all around and dropped the window in. No gaskets, or tape were used.
Here is were our story is similar, I was positive rain was getting in my car around the windshield, in fact, the metalwork all around was very rusty inside and out. Well my new windshield is in, I haven't replaced the interior moldings yet, and after the last rain there is 3 inches of water in the front of the car. I looked at the windshield very carefully, and not one drop of water came in around the window, I still have another leak, The car was not leaking in one place but two or more. I'm still hunting, and have at least fixed one problem, good luck with yours! I hope it gets fixed cause this rain keeps a coming.

Last edited by 924x2150; 05-02-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:04 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
Well i found out what the "Mystery gasket" is, its a foam strip to hold the urathane in, I decided to use my resources (Forgot about those), seeing how I work as a ford Tech. for school, i fugured id look at the service manuals from FMC. and i found it, but, still dosent explain why its leaking, they guy said he didnt see any rust, just some small amount of damage from someone removing the windsheild improperly, but he said he fixed it, well, well see within the next couple of days, hopefully he fixes it,

And unfourtunatly its the windsheild, when its raining you take the trim off and you can see it dripping in, right from between the gasket, i was kinda hoiping it was something else, but it dosent seem like it,

Thanks for the input, Hopefully i can get this resolved, im tired of having to park in the rain.

~Jeremy

Old 05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Machman
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to check the factory seam locations at the front corner roof lines. Two windshields later, I applied the seam sealer to these locations and the leak went away. I used to watch it drip in right about three inches in on the upper drivers side. Looked like a windshield problem even to the glass man. This was an ongoing problem for the previous owner judging by the silicone around the windshield trim (what a bonehead). I can now replace my water stained carpet without a problem.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:04 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Has anyone noticed that when a windshield is replaced on one of these trucks that the black adhesive makes a mess between the inside frame and the glass itself?

The adhesive is readily seen from within the vehicle--the uneven line of black adhesive looks terrible. I wonder if this gasket that has been discussed in this thread is supposed to prevent this uneven line of black adhesive from being visible from within the cab?

I have never seen a windshield that was installed aftermarket that looked like the windshield installed in my truck--very unsightly from within the cab.

Is there a gasket visible between the windshield metal frame and the glass on factory installed windshields from within the cab?? The factory service manual seems to show such a gasket--but the drawing isnt clear enough for me to be sure.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
the windsheild was more than likely installed with to much urathane, thats the sealant.

Unfortunatly after the 3rd attempet, my windsheild still leaks, the glass man told me this time he will remove it, do whatever work needs to be done tho the flange, and re-install it or replace it with new if he brakes it, all free of charge. If it works i will be happy, i need to get the carpet up so i can get the musty smell out, its not bad, untill about a day after rain and then you can smell it, i dont like that, its also probly reaking havock, on my floors.