Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

gmc/chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
beano
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gmc/chevy

i know these truck are for the most part, well the same. other than the grill. are their any diffrences between the 2? i have heard in the past that a gmc (certian models) keep their resale better than its chevy counterpart. thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:26 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by beano
i know these truck are for the most part, well the same. other than the grill. are their any diffrences between the 2? i have heard in the past that a gmc (certian models) keep their resale better than its chevy counterpart. thanks in advance.
Pretty sure a GMC is a Chevy with lockwashers

Old 01-28-2005, 01:31 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I just did a couple comparisons on Kbb.com and the value all came out to the same.

I will say I like the grill on the GMC's a little better and they come standard with options like tow hooks and skid plate where the Chevy's don't on all models. If you are going with the 3500 than the only real difference will be the grill and the logo's

Old 01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Unless we're talking about a Denali or a SS, they're the same truck. The primary difference is how they are sold- GMC's come from your friendly, local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer, while Chevy obviously handles their own brand. From a consumer standpoint, it's notable that warranty work has to be performed by the selling franchise, and chevy dealers outnumber GMC by a margin of about 6:1. This might be a consideration for customers that travel a lot.

re: resale. Nope, no difference that I've been able to see. They book out the same, if that's any help. Miles/condition/equipment/color will be the determining factors.

Last edited by polarbear; 01-28-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
beano
Senior User
thanks, that was kinda along the lines of what i was thinking. if the gmc comes with more options deamed as standard equipment. thats what i will go with. i think the gmc looks better anyway.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:54 PM
jeb
Elder User
I'm having my new GMC serviced at the Chevy dealer even though we have a GMC dealer in town, too. I vastly prefer the service at the Chevy dealer so I was much relieved to find out they'd work on it for me.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
ChevyRacing
Junior User
GMC was gonna be GM's truck brand (first) before they bought Chevrolet from Chevrolet brother's. GMC's of the past were more different then Chevy but today there mostly the same but different front clips and different luxory models as well such as the Denali and SS.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
beano
Senior User
well i heard today that the floor insulation was much thicker in the gmc.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Is Z-71 for GMC models only? And Chevy just uses 4x4?

Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93GreenF150
Is Z-71 for GMC models only? And Chevy just uses 4x4?
no z-71 is a package that chevy offers. kinda like fx4

Old 01-29-2005, 12:52 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
well i heard today that the floor insulation was much thicker in the gmc.
Nope- same stuff. It tracks by trim. Base/SL then LS/SLE then LT/SLT. Oddly, the LT has everything standard, while you have to buy a luxury convenience pkg in GMC to get the same trim (leather/heated/memory/power everything). Don't ask me why that is, I'm clueless. Z71 is offered in both trucks.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Pretty sure a GMC is a Chevy with lockwashers
you forgot a little more adhesive also.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Fastronald
Elder User
GMC vs. Chevy

Difference?............ugly and more ugly

Old 01-29-2005, 12:03 PM
MJD
Elder User
As far as what is generally at the dealerships, GMC pickups usually have more options and are more fancy than Chevrolet pickups. That being said, you can order a Chevy with every option known to man and you can also order a GMC as a simple single cab work pickup. I would buy a GMC myself, because it looks very good (better than the Ford, Dodge or Chevy, IMO). I think that the 05 Chevy looks as good as it ever has since the HD series was introduced in 2001, but I still do not care for it. They took two UGLY designs (the 01-02 with the tall grille being the worst,IMO) and made them into a tolerable design.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally like the GMCs over the Chevies. There front clip looks a lot better then that godawful thing on the Chevies. Fords superduty is in my opinion is the best looking truck on the road today. Nobodies been able to match it in looks. The new GMCs front grills kind of look similar to superduties front.The folks at GM look like they agree that the superduty has the right look. There copying them.

Quick Reply: gmc/chevy